Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ionizer & matt emulsion

Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few weeks of
using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has gone a dirty
grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it was.

New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few weeks of
using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has gone a dirty
grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it was.

New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

It is dust. The air bourne dust is electrostatically charged and is now
sticking to surfaces

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few
weeks of using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has
gone a dirty grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it
was.
New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

Yup. Ended up having to redocorate the room as a result. The really, really
fine dust gets into the texture of the paint and won't wash off without
putting a seriously odd looking 'shine' on the paint.

Ioniser was binned. Never again.

Al.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few weeks of
using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has gone a dirty
grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it was.

New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

Yep, I've got one on the bedside table - supposedly to help with my
asthma but reducing airbourne dust. Certainly removes the dust - it's no
on the wall and the lampshade is spectacularly dirty.

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Al wrote:
Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few
weeks of using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has
gone a dirty grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it
was.
New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

Yup. Ended up having to redocorate the room as a result. The really,
really fine dust gets into the texture of the paint and won't wash
off without putting a seriously odd looking 'shine' on the paint.

Ah. They tried to wash it off & made it look worse. Does another coat of
emulsion cover it up?

Ioniser was binned. Never again.

Thats what they have done :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Yup. Ended up having to redocorate the room as a result. The really,
really fine dust gets into the texture of the paint and won't wash
off without putting a seriously odd looking 'shine' on the paint.

Ah. They tried to wash it off & made it look worse. Does another coat of
emulsion cover it up?

Yep. (IME)

I've found that the Dulux "real life" emulsion is much better. Can be really
scrubbed at without going shiny or losing all of it's pigment.

Ioniser was binned. Never again.

Thats what they have done :-)

Heh, I think mine helps so I've lived with it. Probably in my mind really
but...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Talking to someone today who had bought an Ionizer. Within a few weeks of
using it, the matt magnolia emulsion on the nearby walls has gone a dirty
grey/blackish colour. Nearer the ioniser the worse it was.

New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

Used also to happen with CRT televisions. Same reason. Not sure why, but
it seemed worse with very old B&W sets.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18 May, 19:11, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
New one on me, anyone heard of this effect before?

Yes, common. Easiest (partial) fix is a mains-powered ioniser with a
good earthed plate in front of it. This catches the crud, in
preference to random furnishings.

Otherwise one with a fan. These keep the ions inside the case,
discharging them at the outlet grille. Doesn't have the same "sea
breeze" effects, but they work as electrostatic air cleaners.