Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default how to wallpaper on glass ?

News wrote:

In article ,
Eddy wrote:
If you read the instructions on that it says it won't work *on* vinyl -
and to use their proper stuff for overlaps, etc. So I'd guess the same
would apply to any non porous surface.

You've got a packet of that stuff yourself, News?

Dave, actually. ;-)
Yes - I'm just finishing off decorating the hall and stairs - all twenty
rolls of it. And have used that adhesive.

Thanks for the
warning! Have just emailed the suppliers and asked them for their
recommendation - not that suppliers always know.

Think you can buy it in small packets for a couple of quid so you could
just experiment? But it doesn't stick to the plastic bucket when it goes
hard so I'd not expect it do so to glass.

Hmmm. Thanks, Dave. I'll have a go with a stiff solution of the paste
I've got. Probably won't work, as you say. Then give PVA a go.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
You normally peel off the vinyl layer 'dry' as it were which leaves the
paper backing which can be soaked off in the normal way. But that's with
ordinary wallpaper adhesive - something which isn't water based might need
a different approach.

Ah! Thanks for this. I noticed that the paper consists of two layers.
(At first I thought the back might peel off to reveal self-adhesive!)
The two layers will certainly help when/if it comes to having to remove
the paper from the mirrors.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Oh, dear. Sorry, no Badge, R. I didn't say I haven't already bought
the heavy wallpaper! It's a luxury paper that looks like rough leather
- it won't look like someone has put wallpaper on the doors!

Try gluing the paper to the sticky-backed plastic? So you have a layer
that can be easily peeled off?

Or perhaps you can find a Post-It Note adhesive... something that's not too
sticky?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo Markettos wrote:
Oh, dear. Sorry, no Badge, R. I didn't say I haven't already bought
the heavy wallpaper! It's a luxury paper that looks like rough leather
- it won't look like someone has put wallpaper on the doors!

Try gluing the paper to the sticky-backed plastic? So you have a layer
that can be easily peeled off?

The problem is ordinary wallpaper adhesive is designed to work with
porous surfaces - plaster and paper. It needs air to dry. Plastics in
general ain't porous. This is why ordinary wallpaper adhesive doesn't work
for overlaps with vinyl paper - as one surface isn't porous. It seems to
work when you first paste it - but after a few days when things dry out
the overlap will separate.

--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
The problem is ordinary wallpaper adhesive is designed to work with
porous surfaces - plaster and paper. It needs air to dry. Plastics in
general ain't porous. This is why ordinary wallpaper adhesive doesn't work
for overlaps with vinyl paper - as one surface isn't porous. It seems to
work when you first paste it - but after a few days when things dry out
the overlap will separate.

Well, Dave, the job's now done! And it looks great!

Used a very thick gucky mixture of Everbuild wallpaper paste, really
gave it a good mixing and brushed it on the paper really hard. It's
been up a couple of hours and hasn't slid of any of the panels yet.
Question is: in a week's time when the paste has thoroughly dried out
will their be any bond between glass and paper! Will the paper have
curled off, or be so lightly held on that the least disturbance causes
it to start to come away!

Will update this group as to the result!

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Eddy wrote:
[...]

My experience of using paste on a non porous surface is it works at first
while it remains tacky - then looses grip. Could take a while, though.
Good luck.

Will update this group as to the result!

--
*I brake for no apparent reason.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

News wrote:
My experience of using paste on a non porous surface is it works at first
while it remains tacky - then looses grip. Could take a while, though.
Good luck.

Stilling hanging, still looking good. The tension is killing! :-)

Eddy.