Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sheet steel nibbler

Could anyone recommend an electric nibbler for cutting box profile 0.7mm
roofing sheets?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"andrew" wrote in message
Could anyone recommend an electric nibbler for cutting box profile

0.7mm
roofing sheets?

AJH

I have a selection of nibblers ranging from 1mm air to 6mm electric
steel capacity with several in between and none of them meet the bill.
Going down the trapizoid and meeting the horizontal they all seem to
get stuck . I've always reverted to using an angle grinder with a 1mm
disk.

BTW the 6mm nibbler is an awsome beast, spitting out 6mm cubes of
'swarf'

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"andrew" wrote in message
Could anyone recommend an electric nibbler for cutting box profile

0.7mm
roofing sheets?

AJH

I have a selection of nibblers ranging from 1mm air to 6mm electric
steel capacity with several in between and none of them meet the bill.
Going down the trapizoid and meeting the horizontal they all seem to
get stuck . I've always reverted to using an angle grinder with a 1mm
disk.

BTW the 6mm nibbler is an awsome beast, spitting out 6mm cubes of
'swarf'

AWEM

Andrew,

What make / model is your 6mm one? I could do with one of those! I have an
air one which can manage upto ~1.5mm, but if I need to cut anything bigger I
currently have to resort to an angle grinder or plasma cutter, both are
messy compared to a nibbler.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanD" wrote in message

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in

message

"andrew" wrote in message
[...]

It's made by Duplex - iirc the motor is about 2hp and it's a beast to
hold but work like a dream

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
andrew wrote:
Could anyone recommend an electric nibbler for cutting box profile 0.7mm
roofing sheets?

I've got an Hitachi bought secondhand off Ebay - but they're a ferocious
price new. Works very well, though. You can get add on ones for a mains
drill - but they're rather unwieldy. Quite cheap, though. Dunno if they'd
work with a cordless.

--
*OK, who stopped payment on my reality check?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 May 2009 19:42:32 +0100, andrew wrote:

Could anyone recommend an electric nibbler for cutting box profile 0.7mm
roofing sheets?

AJH

If you don't need clean cuts (e.g. under a capping) an arc welder on high
power will cut roofing sheets quite easily.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 May, 19:42, andrew wrote:
Could anyone recommend an electric nibbler for cutting box profile 0.7mm
roofing sheets?

No, I couldn't recommend an electric nibbler for doing this.

Nibblers have their place (awkward internal cuts), but assuming that
roofing sheets means "lots of straight cuts, maybe one stovepipe vent"
then you'd be better off with a disk.

Then if you think you need a nibbler, look at a plasma cutter instead.
Even for plastic coated steels, provided you don't need a perfect
surface right to the edges.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2009 07:58:25 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

If you don't need clean cuts (e.g. under a capping) an arc welder on high
power will cut roofing sheets quite easily.

A farmer friend of mine did that once.

Replacing a roof panel.
On a barn.
Half full of hay.

Very exciting it was.

We awarded him maximum points for the swallow dive with two back flips
a forward roll and a belly flop he performed into the nearby slurry
bund after three runs up and down the roof (necessitated by dropping
the welding torch as the flames came through the new opening which
caught the top of the ladder and knocked it to the ground.).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--------------------------------------

A farmer friend of mine did that once.

Replacing a roof panel.
On a barn.
Half full of hay.

Very exciting it was.

We awarded him maximum points for the swallow dive with two back flips a
forward roll and a belly flop he performed into the nearby slurry bund
after three runs up and down the roof (necessitated by dropping the
welding torch as the flames came through the new opening which caught
the top of the ladder and knocked it to the ground.).

All tools are potentially dangerous in some way, but most people would
have the good sense to cut a new roof panel to size well away from
flammable material.

I once suffered a broken toe when a heavy duty pipe bender fell on my
foot, but I don't consider pipe benders to be intrinsically dangerous.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 14 May 2009 14:52:58 GMT, Cicero
wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009 15:30:02 +0100, Peter Parry wrote:

We awarded him maximum points for the swallow dive with two back flips a
forward roll and a belly flop he performed into the nearby slurry bund
after three runs up and down the roof (necessitated by dropping the
welding torch as the flames came through the new opening which caught
the top of the ladder and knocked it to the ground.).

All tools are potentially dangerous in some way, but most people would
have the good sense to cut a new roof panel to size well away from
flammable material.

He did do it a long way from the material, about 30ft away. It wasn't
the distance that was the problem :-).