Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default flourescent tubes

tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok
....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok
again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

pickey pickey

I like flour ....

sorry picky picky .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced
the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

The brain got scrambled by todays tedious job.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok
....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok
again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

The brain got scrambled by todays tedious job.

Its not the real tnp, no typing and spelling mistakes that he is too
idle to fix.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 15:27:52 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

If the tube works fine with the starter out, we know the tube is fine. Don't just give it a very quick check, let it run a good 5 mins like that.

If adding the starter it then keeps flashing, we know the fault is the starter. It could be faulty or simply the wrong type. Most are 4-80 or 85w, but some are 20w max, some are 120v or series, some are 100 or 125w for 8' tubes. Check you have a suitable starter.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

What sort of cakes are you making?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2019 03:05, FMurtz wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

What sort of cakes are you making?

red velvet...why?...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 15:27:52 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

If the tube works fine with the starter out, we know the tube is fine.
Don't just give it a very quick check, let it run a good 5 mins like that.

If adding the starter it then keeps flashing, we know the fault is the
starter. It could be faulty or simply the wrong type. Most are 4-80 or 85w,
but some are 20w max, some are 120v or series, some are 100 or 125w for 8'
tubes. Check you have a suitable starter.

it was the tube.....black at one end....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok
....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok
again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

pickey pickey

I like flour ....

sorry picky picky .....

did you buy organic flourescent tubes by mistake ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok
....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok
again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

pickey pickey

I like flour ....

sorry picky picky .....

did you buy organic flourescent tubes by mistake ?.

had full fat ones in stock ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 08:33:01 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 15:27:52 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

If the tube works fine with the starter out, we know the tube is fine.
Don't just give it a very quick check, let it run a good 5 mins like that.

If adding the starter it then keeps flashing, we know the fault is the
starter. It could be faulty or simply the wrong type. Most are 4-80 or 85w,
but some are 20w max, some are 120v or series, some are 100 or 125w for 8'
tubes. Check you have a suitable starter.

it was the tube.....black at one end....

then the tube did not stay lit without the starter in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

Good grief. Turnip spots a spelling error.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably. The starter thinks its not struck so its probably not really
working very well, assuming of course its the right starter in the first
place.
This may sound daft, but simply swap it for another tube if its a double
and if the other one shows the problem its proved.
I even used to get a couple of months out of one by simply turning it
around. No idea why.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

While you are all bickering over spellink, let me say that a tube right on
the edge of going out can be used by simply removing the starter once its
been on for a bit. it seems that the tube heat can keep it conducting, but
not as efficiently as it should be, indeed lamps working like this can be
very strobe like and indeed sometimes you see kind of waves snaking along
making parts of the phosphor brighter or darker. I guess its to do with
whether the gas inside is being ionised enough to keep the thing alight,
the starter system often detects tubes working inefficiently this way ands
not yet struck and tries to pulse them with a high voltage but all that does
is making go on and off.
Change the tube before it wears out the starter!
I'm assuming here this is your bog standard little heater bimetal strip
wotsit.
Brian

--
----- --

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced
the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what
is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

pickey pickey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/07/2019 16:21, Brian Gaff wrote:
[...]

changed the tube and it is still doing it...but I get what you say ,......
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 15:27:52 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

If the tube works fine with the starter out, we know the tube is fine.
Don't just give it a very quick check, let it run a good 5 mins like that.

If adding the starter it then keeps flashing, we know the fault is the
starter. It could be faulty or simply the wrong type. Most are 4-80 or 85w,
but some are 20w max, some are 120v or series, some are 100 or 125w for 8'
tubes. Check you have a suitable starter.

it was the tube.....black at one end....

then the tube did not stay lit without the starter in.

NT

yes it did....

That's uncommon. There are 2 possible explanations.
1. poor contacts causing V drop
2. A tube where one end only is losing emission, but not enough to extinguish it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 15:47:24 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/07/2019 08:33, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 09/07/2019 23:47, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 9 July 2019 15:27:52 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok ....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

If the tube works fine with the starter out, we know the tube is fine.
Don't just give it a very quick check, let it run a good 5 mins like
that.

If adding the starter it then keeps flashing, we know the fault is the
starter. It could be faulty or simply the wrong type. Most are 4-80 or
85w, but some are 20w max, some are 120v or series, some are 100 or 125w
for 8' tubes. Check you have a suitable starter.

NT

bet it is the tube...I'll change it today

it was ....had a couple in stock...

BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER worked great the first time then after I put the
ladder away...it is a very high ceiling in the garage....doing the same
thing again.......the ballast?.....

Not much point asking if you disregard the answers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." Wrote in message:
tube started flashing ,,,,removed the starter works ok
....replaced the
started flashing again .....removed the new starter ok
again...what is
wrong...the tube?....

Either the new starter is faulty or is for a lower wattage lamp.
Is the one you are using described as a "universal starter"?

no.....85w

T12 florescent tube?

FLUORESCENT FFS!!!!

The brain got scrambled by todays tedious job.

Its not the real tnp, no typing and spelling mistakes that he is too
idle to fix.

Pot calling kettle black did spring to mind.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 10 July 2019 21:27:09 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER worked great the first time then after I put the
ladder away...it is a very high ceiling in the garage....doing the same
thing again.......the ballast?.....

Might well just be a loose connection given that the replacement
tube did work for a while, likely that got disturbed.

possible, but not common.

Corse it could be a dry joint in the ballast etc too.

very unlikely.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 11 Jul 2019 06:26:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER worked great the first time then after I put the
ladder away...it is a very high ceiling in the garage....doing the same
thing again.......the ballast?.....

Might well just be a loose connection given that the replacement
tube did work for a while, likely that got disturbed.

Corse it could be a dry joint in the ballast etc too.

Glad to see you felt personally addressed when he mentioned "BUGGER", senile
bugger!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 16:12:49 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Probably. The starter thinks its not struck so its probably not really
working very well, assuming of course its the right starter in the first
place.
This may sound daft, but simply swap it for another tube if its a double
and if the other one shows the problem its proved.
I even used to get a couple of months out of one by simply turning it
around. No idea why.
Brian

Once upon a time there were a range of starters to suit a range of
tubes, but manufacturers have cut costs and make only starters that
are meant to work for all tubes. The trouble is, they don't.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Probably. The starter thinks its not struck so its probably not really
working very well, assuming of course its the right starter in the first
place.
This may sound daft, but simply swap it for another tube if its a double
and if the other one shows the problem its proved.
I even used to get a couple of months out of one by simply turning it
around. No idea why.
Brian

Once upon a time there were a range of starters to suit a range of
tubes, but manufacturers have cut costs and make only starters that
are meant to work for all tubes. The trouble is, they don't.

I like the electronic ones in the transparent green casings. They start
tubes faster and with less flicker and do a good job of starting aged
tubes that don't really want to start.

SteveW