Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Raised decking support / posts - concrete in or metal spike?

Hi,

Just about to start a decking project in my garden. I haven't built
decking before, but I have spent some time planning my build out so
I'm pretty much set. One question though. I've built good strong
fences before and instead of concreting in the fence posts I have used
metal spikes. I am wondering if something like this http://tinyurl.com/djf3l8
can be used to hold the posts that will support the raised decking
instead of concreting in?

I guess my only concerns are that the spike once positioned and laden
with weight from the decking and use of the decking, the spike could
possibly be pushed deeper in to the earth and consequently allow areas
of the decking to droop, if you know what I mean. Is this a valid
concern or not?

Would be interested to learn if others have used the spikes for raised
decking.

Many thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dundonald wrote:
Hi,

Just about to start a decking project in my garden. I haven't built
decking before, but I have spent some time planning my build out so
I'm pretty much set. One question though. I've built good strong
fences before and instead of concreting in the fence posts I have used
metal spikes. I am wondering if something like this
http://tinyurl.com/djf3l8 can be used to hold the posts that will
support the raised decking
instead of concreting in?

No. First of all they are unecessary, secondly they can twist if they hit
stoney ground, and thirdly they could well sink.

I don't know if your deck is freestanding or attached to a building, but in
either case the only reason to concrete in posts is to keep the deck
'square'. If you don't achieve that, then boarding it will be a big
problem.

The support for the joists is achieved either by a cross beam or by using
padstones to support them.

How 'raised' is your decking?

I've built sh*t loads of decks. Happy to give any advise I can.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwaydecking.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote

snip.........

I've built sh*t loads of decks. Happy to give any advise I can.

ISTR mention of a gap between deck and house wall that might be worth
repeating here/googling.
Can't remember why it was necessary though. Seem to think it was insect
related.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Dundonald" wrote in message
[...]

You can get cement-in versions of spikes
http://www.metpost.co.uk/mp_concrete_in.html

Much better than hammer in spikes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TheScullster wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

snip.........

I've built sh*t loads of decks. Happy to give any advise I can.

ISTR mention of a gap between deck and house wall that might be worth
repeating here/googling.
Can't remember why it was necessary though. Seem to think it was
insect related.

If you bolt a ledger plate to a house wall above DPC you should leave a 10mm
gap between it & house wall, and a 6mm gap between deck boards & house wall.
Its so you don't compromise the DPC.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 6, 7:28*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
[...]

Hi Dave sorry for delay (been away with no access to computer). The
decking I have planned is raised about 4 ft. It's about 9 x 8 ft.
Two lengths of the decking will be secured to the house exterior down
one length and the conservatory exterior down another length (all
above the DPC at roughly interior floor level). The joists at those
ends will hang off of the 2 x 4 screwed to the walls. So I guess the
decking will remain squared. But this still leaves a corner and
sufficent support inbetween that corner and respective corners against
the wall. So my plan was/is to support by either spike or concrete
posts. The post can't simply rest on the earth surely?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 7, 1:18*am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

snip.........

I've built sh*t loads of decks. *Happy to give any advise I can.

ISTR mention of a gap between deck and house wall that might be worth
repeating here/googling.
Can't remember why it was necessary though. *Seem to think it was
insect related.

If you bolt a ledger plate to a house wall above DPC you should leave a 10mm
gap between it & house wall, and a 6mm gap between deck boards & house wall.
Its so you don't compromise the DPC.

Are you using a padding of some kind inbetween the house brick and the
ledger to maintain the 1cm gap?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dundonald wrote:
On May 7, 1:18 am, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
TheScullster wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote

snip.........

I've built sh*t loads of decks. Happy to give any advise I can.

ISTR mention of a gap between deck and house wall that might be
worth repeating here/googling.
Can't remember why it was necessary though. Seem to think it was
insect related.

If you bolt a ledger plate to a house wall above DPC you should
leave a 10mm gap between it & house wall, and a 6mm gap between deck
boards & house wall. Its so you don't compromise the DPC.

Are you using a padding of some kind inbetween the house brick and the
ledger to maintain the 1cm gap?

A number of 'heavy' washers on each bolt to space it out by 10mm. Provides
a gep between the ledger & wall.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
[...]

4 x 2 will need support every 6' of span to avoid bounce (assuming joists at
18" spacing) If you went up to 6 x 2 they can go 10' without support. More
timber granted, but less support.

So I guess the
decking will remain squared. But this still leaves a corner and
sufficent support inbetween that corner and respective corners against
the wall. So my plan was/is to support by either spike or concrete
posts. The post can't simply rest on the earth surely?

I use wooden posts supported by concrete blocks or slabs or concrete in post
supports
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Post-Accesso...rt/invt/540561

They all keep the posts off the earth. I'd be inclined to use a concrete in
post support at the corner & slabs/blocks elsewhere as required.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
[...]

Cool, if I use 6 x 2 then I can run each non wall lengths without
additional support other than a 3 x 3 post in the remaining corner?

Actually remembering my plan down one of the lengths I will have steps
down to the lawn so either side of the steps I will be running a post
up in any case to support the hand rail.

supportshttp://www.wickes.co.uk/Post-Accessories/Concrete-In-Post-Support/inv...

They all keep the posts off the earth. *I'd be inclined to use a concrete in
post support at the corner & slabs/blocks elsewhere as required.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
[...]

Yup. A 6 x 2 C16 will span 2.95m at 450mm centres.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
[...]

Sorry you lost me on the 450mm centres bit, what's that, I'm assumig
spacing between joists?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Dundonaldwrote:
[...]

Yup - the closer they are the longer the span.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 04:04:09 -0700, derekarmstrong1956 wrote:

[...]

Any particular reason you've quoted an eleven year old post?

--
TOJ.

Decking - how to fit the posts Vass UK diy 4 August 2nd 06 11:33 AM
House support posts Ivan Vegvary Home Repair 2 July 21st 06 02:55 PM
Basement support posts not secured to concrete floor yxz Home Repair 7 August 13th 05 08:08 PM
Decking support Stephen UK diy 3 May 12th 05 04:35 PM
what depth support for decking? Zipadee Doodar UK diy 1 September 28th 03 05:09 PM