Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Is it time to give up?

New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.
A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Buy him a modulo screwdriver and file the pointy tip off?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Are you sure that it isn't /your/ fault for not using a screw with a
combination of a slotted and Phillips head in the first place? ;-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_screw_drives#Combination_drives

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 19:01, alan_m wrote:
On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

Brian

--
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 18:13:38 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

I've made one fit before now. Couldn't find the exact size slotted I needed so the angel grinder turned a dead PZ2 into a slot. And yes, I have more slotted bits in stock now!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

In February I got some items delivered on a pallet constructed
presumably with the use of a nail gun. On attempting to take it apart
the nails were barbed down their length meaning that it was almost
impossible to remove them from the wood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Self employment?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

The Liverpool screwdriver (or wherever D i m is from...)

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk Wrote in message:
ARW Wrote in message:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Self employment?

You could do your own interviews.....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 20:12:53 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
The Liverpool screwdriver (or wherever D i m is from...)

I thought it was Brummagem.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

The Liverpool screwdriver (or wherever D i m is from...)

I knew it as a "Birmingham Screwdriver".

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

that'd be cultural appropriation if the apprentice is not from the
proper community

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk Wrote in message:
Jimk Wrote in message:
ARW Wrote in message:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Self employment?

You could do your own interviews.....

Er...perhaps not :^)
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Liverpool screwdriver

I knew it as a "Birmingham Screwdriver".

Definitely a €śLancashire Pattern Screwdriver€ť
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

No, treat him a blank sheet om which you will write your wisdom.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

Brian

I did the same, but it was packing cases. Sometimes if the screw didn't
go in far enough you'd have to turn it, but you soon got the knack.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 18:13:38 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.
A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

At least you found that out before you gave him anything important to do, like making tea.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote

New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Clearly you lot are hopeless at weeding out useless applicants.

And at choosing which vans to buy too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Who or What is Rod Speed?"

"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."

Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 21:09, Tricky Dicky wrote:
The Liverpool screwdriver

I knew it as a "Birmingham Screwdriver".

Definitely a €śLancashire Pattern Screwdriver€ť

We were always told not to "Manchester the heads on those bolts".
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 07:20:47 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

ARW wrote

New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Clearly you lot are hopeless at weeding out useless applicants.

And at choosing which vans to buy too.

It's discrimination if he can't do the job..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a theory that modern education is making us more like computers every
day.
You have to detaill every eventuality the computer may encounter in doing a
certain job, and a subroutine of checking the bit against the screw type is
a must if you are designing a very flexible assembly robot control system.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 07:20:47 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

ARW wrote

New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Clearly you lot are hopeless at weeding out useless applicants.

And at choosing which vans to buy too.

It's discrimination if he can't do the job..

But not illegal discrimination.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:39:41 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

Brian

If the timber was still fresh and soft it wasn't a problem.
In my 1976 house the chipboard flooring is fixed with nails
that have serrations all along the shaft to stop them
working loose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 18:13, ARW wrote:
New starter cannot get the screwdriver to work.

A PZ2 does not fit a slotted screw.

Just tell him to knock the screw in with a hammer.

I worked in a saw mill at one time. They made pallets for plate glass.
That's exactly what they did. Balanced the screw on the point and one
blow was enough.

The unintended consequences of paid piece-work.

The Liverpool screwdriver (or wherever D i m is from...)

Geordie spanner, well known in shipyards