Andrew McKay

Default Another toolkit question

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:35:48 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Could I be the first to wish you good luck?

Just one thing - do you have an electricians background in terms of
apprenticeship? I did my 16th edition certification a short time ago,
but although I'm a well qualified electronics engineer I'd not be able
to describe myself as an electrician.

I was informed by some of the sparkies on the C&G2381 course that next
year the government are introducing a corgi-type requirement for
sparkies, and you can't get that certification unless you've served
the time and done the courses.

Ignore the budget for now, but toolwise, and ignoring the obvious like
screwdrivers and test meters, what would you consider to be the
*essentials* for an electrician?

Test equipment - RCD tester, earth leakage tester and a couple of
others. That costs 500 pounds upwards.

When you carry out electrical work you are supposed to issue a
certificate, even for minor changes. And you can only certificate
something if you've tested it. And I expect next year the certificates
will have to be issued by someone who is the equivalent of corgi
registered.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Frisket

"Andy Milner" wrote in message
Sorry to be a killjoy but

the most important piece of equipment in your toolbox has got to be NICEIC

&
ECA registration and qualifications otherwise one mishap and you could be
looking at compensation claim you'll never ever afford

Think you'll find public liability insurance more use there - niccy and eca
registration are more of an old boys club. Don't think they have
qualifications as such, acceptance is on inspecton of previous work and the
paying of fees (suprise, suprise!). IEE or C&G 16th edition, Inspection and
testing and electrical installation courses would be more valuable.

Two plumbers in Liverpool facing manslaughter charges after fire they

fitted
killed owner of flat with carbon monoxide poisoning

Membership of either trade association ain't gonna save your skin if you've
been negligent.

Regards, Richard

Owain

"Andy Milner" wrote
| Sorry to be a killjoy but
| the most important piece of equipment in your toolbox has got to be
| NICEIC & ECA registration and qualifications otherwise one mishap
| and you could be looking at compensation claim you'll never ever
| afford

Neither NICEIC nor ECA membership can save you from risks which should be
covered by liability and indemnity insurance (which is a pre-requisite for
membership anyway).

| Two plumbers in Liverpool facing manslaughter charges after fire they
| fitted killed owner of flat with carbon monoxide poisoning

Neither will NICEIC nor ECA protect you from criminal charges.

Owain

Owain

"Frisket" wrote
| The only other question which is perplexing me is whether to buy 240V or
| 110V devices.
| 110v kit and tranny will cover you for both domestic and industrial /
| commercial otherwise you'll be laying out for the gear twice. Also, you'll
| not be able to work on sites with 240v equipment. Whichever you go for
| don't forget it will need to be PAT tested before you'll be allowed to use
| it anywhere other than private dwellings (bloody health and safety raises
| its ugly head again!)

All equipment will have to be inspected and PAT'd as H&S applies to to all
Work, even if the Workplace is in someone's house.

PAT machines aren't expensive and it's a useful extra service to be able to
offer especially if there is a lot of private rented housing, do the PAT and
work your way in for some wiring jobs and vice versa.

Owain

LOZ34

to join the NICEIC you have to prove that you meet their minimum
requirements as regards qualifications, 16th edition, testing and
inspecting, and either the city and guilds course or equivolent and provable
experiance. along with £2miliion in public liability insurance. and be
confident in your workmanship to allow an annual inspection of your work
they choose the jobs they see.

loz
"Frisket" wrote in message

[...]

Frisket

"LOZ34" wrote in message
to join the NICEIC you have to prove that you meet their minimum
requirements as regards qualifications, 16th edition, testing and
inspecting, and either the city and guilds course or equivolent and

provable
experiance. along with £2miliion in public liability insurance. and be
confident in your workmanship to allow an annual inspection of your work
they choose the jobs they see.

And then you choose the restaurant, wine, 3 courses and which credit card to
pay the bill...

Martin Angove

wrote:

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Could I be the first to wish you good luck?

Just one thing - do you have an electricians background in terms of
apprenticeship? I did my 16th edition certification a short time ago,
but although I'm a well qualified electronics engineer I'd not be able
to describe myself as an electrician.

I was informed by some of the sparkies on the C&G2381 course that next
year the government are introducing a corgi-type requirement for
sparkies, and you can't get that certification unless you've served
the time and done the courses.

Good point. Two things. Firstly, as you say there doesn't seem to be any
requirement for someone calling himself an "electrician" to have any
kind of qualifications at all at the moment, other than Public Liability
Insurance, secondly although my background is electronics, all my jobs
have involved an element of light electrical work, and in my last job I
was under the watchful eye of a time-served & certified British Steel
electrician. I have also undertaken a reasonable amount of d-i-y
electrical work so as well as the theory I know some of the practice.

Oh yes, and I've just done the 2381 as well :-)

The threat of registration as I understand it will put the NICEIC onto
a similar footing as CORGI. This is my main reason for wanting to start
as soon as possible: to be NICEIC registered you have to have been
trading for 6 months minimum (used to be 12), have done the 2381 and
2391 and you have to be able to provide examples of your work for
inspection. If I start now while NICEIC registration isn't a
requirement, then when or if it does become so, I *should* be ready for
it. I plan to do the 2391 while working. It's all built into the
early-days spreadsheets.

Ignore the budget for now, but toolwise, and ignoring the obvious like
screwdrivers and test meters, what would you consider to be the
*essentials* for an electrician?

Test equipment - RCD tester, earth leakage tester and a couple of
others. That costs 500 pounds upwards.

Yes. I'm taking these "as read". I've seen a rather nice "all in one"
kit for ukp700.

When you carry out electrical work you are supposed to issue a
certificate, even for minor changes. And you can only certificate
something if you've tested it. And I expect next year the certificates
will have to be issued by someone who is the equivalent of corgi
registered.

I quite like the certification concept. At first glance the forms in the
back of the regulations look complicated, but they're really just good
practice.

Thanks for your input!

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
Martin Angove

In message ,
"Owain" wrote:

"Frisket" wrote
| The only other question which is perplexing me is whether to buy 240V or
| 110V devices.
| 110v kit and tranny will cover you for both domestic and industrial /
| commercial otherwise you'll be laying out for the gear twice. Also, you'll
| not be able to work on sites with 240v equipment. Whichever you go for
| don't forget it will need to be PAT tested before you'll be allowed to use
| it anywhere other than private dwellings (bloody health and safety raises
| its ugly head again!)

All equipment will have to be inspected and PAT'd as H&S applies to to all
Work, even if the Workplace is in someone's house.

PAT machines aren't expensive and it's a useful extra service to be able to
offer especially if there is a lot of private rented housing, do the PAT and
work your way in for some wiring jobs and vice versa.

Hmmm... yes, hadn't thought about offering a PATing service. That's
*another* bit of kit to buy! I used to do PAT at a previous place of
employment, but I suppose that I should really add a PAT course to my
list of things to do once I get going.

Are you sure though that it is *really* neccessary to PAT kit for
domestic use? I've never noticed stickers on the kit of the tradesmen
who've done work for me. I'd have thought that it'd be ok without, at
least for the first 6 months or so.

On another note, it's interesting that only one person so far has
actually offered an answer to my original question :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Our Standard: Exellence; Our Goal: Perfection; Reality: Murphy.
Andrew McKay

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 20:57:55 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

Yes. I'm taking these "as read". I've seen a rather nice "all in one"
kit for ukp700.

I've been watching ebay recently. Some nice Robin testers have been
going for 300-500 pounds. Second hand of course, but so long as they
can pass muster with calibration then what the heck!

I quite like the certification concept. At first glance the forms in the
back of the regulations look complicated, but they're really just good
practice.

True. And as you've done or are going to do the 2391 then you'll
presumably be able to fill them out authoritatively.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our
web site at http://www.handymac.co.uk
Martin Angove

In message ,
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:
I used to do PAT at a previous place of employment, but I suppose that
I should really add a PAT course to my list of things to do once I get
going.

You did PAT at work without having been 'approved' ?

In what sense do you have to be "approved"? I have a sound electronics
/ physics background as did the manager who put me in charge of PAT. We
both researched and understood the principles involved and worked to
guidelines approved by the company's insurance company. As I understood
it, that was as much as was neccessary - the insurers certainly never to
my knowledge complained that I, as the person signing equipment as
"safe", didn't have a particular piece of paper to my name; all they
were concerned with was, was I "compentent", and had I understood the
requirements.

The machine had a very good manual ;-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Life, don't talk to me about life.

Andy Hall

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:45:17 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

In message ,
Gnube wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:35:48 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

Hwyl!

Handy With Your Leccy! ? ;O)

Ha! I like it :-)

Also a bit easier to pronounce than peiriannydd trydanol

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Frisket

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Martin Angove wrote:
[...]

"Competence" appears to be the operative word with so many H&S things.
There's no need to be qualified as such to PAT test - hence many of the
firms offering the service use trained chimps (it really has to be one of
the most mind-blowingly boring tasks in the electrical field)
Richard

RichardS

"Martin Angove" wrote

snip

* decent SDS drill, masonry bits, channeling bits, chisels, maybe a
core drill or two. Been considering Bosch GBH 2-24DSR but open to
suggestions.

you may appreciate cordless, given the nature of the job, can you be sure
you'll always have a supply?

don't know if the big makitas have hammer only, though.

* decent battery drill/driver, mostly for screwdriving. Been
considering Makita and DeWalt 12V and 14V items.

if you've got a mains SDS, then cordless hammer may be an essential.

you'll be using this drill a *lot* - it's going to be a toss-up between how
much you want to spend to get the best possible one, and the likelyhood of a
really nice one going walkabouts. Have a look at Metabo and Milwaukee as
well.

* decent jigsaw, or some other tool to enable me to get under t&g
floorboards without too much hassle.

As long as the depth of cut is sufficient, this may be a good use for a
cordless circular.

* small vaccuum. Having trouble finding one at the moment.

Henry. They're great. Or one of the more robust NVR200 ones.

The only other question which is perplexing me is whether to buy 240V or
110V devices. I can see that, should the business expand that way, 110V
(plus appropriate transformers etc.) would be appropriate for work in
offices, factories, schools and so on, and the tools are (mostly)
identically priced, but there's the (smallish) additional expense of
transformers, extensions and so on to consider and is it really
neccessary for domestic work which is my initial target?

So, any suggestions? General or specific I don't mind.

Hwyl!

M.

Decent first aid kit in the van. Engraving kit to stick your name on
everything?

A low set of step ladders, in addition to taller ones?

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

The Natural Philosopher

Martin Angove wrote:

Not sure if this is d-i-y or not, but here goes anyway :-) Feel free to
ignore or abuse (be gentle) if you think this is too much OT.

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Now, I've done all sorts of figures and so on, and I've convinced most
of the people who need convincing that this is a reasonable plan, so I
need to start getting some firm ideas together about what tools and
equipment I need. That's where you lot come in.

Ignore the budget for now, but toolwise, and ignoring the obvious like
screwdrivers and test meters, what would you consider to be the
*essentials* for an electrician?

Forget the list, and do it the simple way.

(i) Go in and gaze at all the things you might ever want.

(ii) Go and look at the first job. Buy from the above only what you
absolutely need to complete it. Cost teh time and cost of getting these
bits into that job.

(iii) Iterate the process for all the jobs you do, for ever. Every time
the cost of a better tool is manifestly offset by the saving in time to
do it, get the tool.

I have fauithfuly followed this process through all my D-i-Y,
gatredening, hobby building and even comercial life as a company
director, and it has proved to be the most cost effective way of getting
the job done.

Example: I needed to clear abot 30 hawthorns, and had blokes standing
idle on teh job. I bought a chainsaw. Out of teh budegt to clear the
trees. Job done, one excellent chainsaw now only used for firewod and
the odd job. Will last for years.

Example: Needed to get pulley of car engine. BIG nut, MUCHO torque,
Bought huge torque wrench and exact size socket. Still cheaper than
garage. Now have both (somewhere...?) Likewise hub pullers etc. Also
impact drivers, and all sorts of other weird tools. They are cehpa
enough at the time to make the job happen...

My list starts like this:

[...]

Gnube

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 23:24:33 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 22:45:17 +0100, Martin Angove
wrote:

wrote:

Hwyl!

Handy With Your Leccy! ? ;O)

Ha! I like it :-)

Also a bit easier to pronounce than peiriannydd trydanol

Silly, twisted, boy - you're sposed to drink it or catch a train from
it, not per, per, per, per say it! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube

Michael McNeil

"Frisket" wrote in message

[...]

Personally I'd go for the 24v Makita - It's excellent and you'll

appreciate
being wire-free when you need to drill holes while you have the mains

board
on the floor.

* decent battery drill/driver, mostly for screwdriving. Been
considering Makita and DeWalt 12V and 14V items.

Pretty much the drills of choice amongst the sparks at our firm

* decent jigsaw, or some other tool to enable me to get under t&g
floorboards without too much hassle.

Think about a circular saw - you have more depth control.

* small vaccuum. Having trouble finding one at the moment.

Get a cheapo if you can - plaster and brick dust kill them off pretty
quickly

[...]

Hope that helps and good luck with the business, Richard.
ps. get plenty of practise sorting out mis-wired lighting circuits -

you'll
pay for a holiday in Barbados on them alone ;-)

"Frisket" wrote in message

[...]

Why don't you learn to snip you stupid *******?

Owain

"Frisket" wrote
| There's no need to be qualified as such to PAT test - hence many of the
| firms offering the service use trained chimps

ook As honorary public relations officer for Trained Chimps GB Ltd, may I
point out that trained chimps have high levels of intelligence, social
skills and personal hygiene, and should not in any way be confused with
lesser humans employed by many businesses these days. /

Owain

Steven Briggs

In message , Martin Angove
writes
Not sure if this is d-i-y or not, but here goes anyway :-) Feel free to
ignore or abuse (be gentle) if you think this is too much OT.

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Ditto.
A definite option if the axe falls my way next week.
Been following the threads with interest.

A tool that was on my list was a small genny.
For when the juice if off all day and you gotta use the SDS for some
hard bricks, or for temp work lights, or just keeping the clients
freezer running.

--
Steve

RichardS

"Toby" wrote in message
A tool that was on my list was a small genny.
For when the juice if off all day and you gotta use the SDS for some
hard bricks, or for temp work lights, or just keeping the clients
freezer running.

An excellent addition, and one which I'm sure many clients would

appreciate.
It may also save your bacon should you be fighting the clock late one

night
(or late-afternoon in winter).

My additions to the list so far:
A wallpaper scraper for neatly splitting tongues in T&G.
A 400mm long bit for dropping down behind skirting, the length helps keep

shallow angle.
A cut down 15 or 20mm wood bit so the total length in *one of* your

cordless
drills still fits between the joists.
Dentist's mirror.
A radio badly tuned in to the most annoying station you can find.

BEst of luck, your're going to be starting a trend I think.

Toby.

ah! of course - a 90 degree angle drill! and set of auger bits.

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Owain

"Martin Angove" wrote
| All equipment will have to be inspected and PAT'd as H&S applies
| to to all Work, even if the Workplace is in someone's house.
| Are you sure though that it is *really* neccessary to PAT kit for
| domestic use? I've never noticed stickers on the kit of the tradesmen
| who've done work for me. I'd have thought that it'd be ok without, at
| least for the first 6 months or so.

PAT'ing isn't itself mandated AFAIK but is part of an overall safe system of
work. As a tradesperson you have to follow a safe system of work wherever
you work.

It's also not necessary for every item to be stickered. A business could
have a centralised reminder system for calling in equipment for periodic
inspection and testing, which would mean that the date of next test would
not have to be on the equipment itself. It would of course have to have an
asset number or other unique id.

Owain

geoff

In message , Michael
McNeil writes

Snippitty, snippity, snip, snip, snip

Why don't you learn to snip you stupid *******?

Waah - good call, I was beginning to wonder if it was another bloody top
poster and I'd missed it

--
geoff
John Rumm

RichardS wrote:

ah! of course - a 90 degree angle drill! and set of auger bits.

and one of those head mounted torch jobbies - for all thoese times where
three hands would otherwise be essential!

--
Cheers,

John.

Martin Angove

In message ,
Steven Briggs wrote:

In message , Martin Angove
writes
Not sure if this is d-i-y or not, but here goes anyway :-) Feel free to
ignore or abuse (be gentle) if you think this is too much OT.

As some of you may be aware, I'm seriously considering "going solo" and
setting up as a jobbing electrician.

Ditto.
A definite option if the axe falls my way next week.
Been following the threads with interest.

A tool that was on my list was a small genny.
For when the juice if off all day and you gotta use the SDS for some
hard bricks, or for temp work lights, or just keeping the clients
freezer running.

I think the genny may have to wait, but I have been seriously
considering a back-of-the-van (when I decide I can afford a van!)
installation of an inverter and a leisure battery. If for nothing else
then for powering battery chargers and the like (though that seems a
waste - perhaps I'll just have to look for tools which can charge
directly from 12V).

If I was going to need power off for a while, my favoured option would
probably be to rig a temporary dis board on flying leads from the "big
switch" I've thoughtfully installed on the ends of the meter tails. It
could be built into a nice case and everything, and you could run a few
extension leads for freezers, though IME, an unopened freezer will keep
stuff frozen for far longer than a working day.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Dammit Bones, I'm a captain, not a doctor!

Martin Angove

In message ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

"Toby" wrote in message
[...]

I've seen 100mm long auger bits. Given that my 150mm wood bits "almost"
fit when in the end of the drill, I suspect the augers would be fine.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Drive C: Error, (A)bort (R)etry (I)gnore (K)ick (S)cream
Frisket

"Owain" wrote in message
"Frisket" wrote
| There's no need to be qualified as such to PAT test - hence many of the
| firms offering the service use trained chimps

ook As honorary public relations officer for Trained Chimps GB Ltd, may

point out that trained chimps have high levels of intelligence, social
skills and personal hygiene, and should not in any way be confused with
lesser humans employed by many businesses these days. /

Owain

Sorry dude, no offence meant but I was trying to make the point that as
things stand anybody can set themselves up for PAT testing... and some of my
best friends are simian. Regards, Richard

Michael McNeil

?
Owain

"Martin Angove" wrote
| A tool that was on my list was a small genny.
| For when the juice if off all day and you gotta use the SDS for some
| hard bricks, or for temp work lights, or just keeping the clients
| freezer running.
| I think the genny may have to wait, ... you could run a few
| extension leads for freezers, though IME, an unopened freezer will keep
| stuff frozen for far longer than a working day.

It's when it gets to 7.27 pm, you've pulled the consumer unit apart and just
invented some new swear-words, and Her Customership sidles up and whines
"'ere, I am goina be able to watch Corrie, innit?"

Maybe a battery-powered portable telly. It would be something to keep you
occupied when you tell Her Customership "I've got to go twenty miles down
the road to get a part, it's not on the van" and then park up in a lay-by
round the corner with your thermos and sarnies.

Oops, I've been watching too much Rogue Traders :-)

Owain

Owain

"Martin Angove" wrote
| Engraving kit to stick your name on
| everything?
| Thought of that one this afternoon. Already had in mind pre-printed
| labels (nice long-lasting ones) but might consider a labelling machine
| too. Properly engraved stuff would look much better, but do you think I
| can get away with engraving every switch and socket? ;-)

No, but a nicely-engraved proper custom brass panel behind the telly with
all the sockets for aerial in / out and surround sound shake-it-all-about
looks so much better than a hodge-bodge of multiple faceplates and dyno
tape.

If you are aiming at the kwolity end of the market of course.

Owain

John Stumbles

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
In message ,
"RichardS" noaccess@invalid wrote:

"Martin Angove" wrote

---8---

* decent battery drill/driver, mostly for screwdriving. Been
considering Makita and DeWalt 12V and 14V items.

if you've got a mains SDS, then cordless hammer may be an essential.

Good thought, but that pushes the price up again, from c.125ukp for a
12V Makita drill/driver without hammer to c215ukp for a 12V Makita with
hammer. Ok, the hammer drill has a 13mm chuck and NiMH batteries...

I use the 'universal' or 'multipurpose' or whatever they call them drill
bits Screwfix do with my (non-hammer) cordless. They're basically sharp
masonry drills that go through without hammer action (and you can drill
through wood or metal too - useful for fixing stuff to walls in one go).

---8---

* decent jigsaw, or some other tool to enable me to get under t&g
floorboards without too much hassle.

As long as the depth of cut is sufficient, this may be a good use for a
cordless circular.

Good suggestion. Again, someone else has suggested a circular saw
instead of a jigsaw for this task. I don't envisage too many other
"wood cutting" operations, so a battery circular may well be the ideal
tool. Price again though; 309ukp for an 18V 165mm Makita versus 85ukp
for a 240V 165mm Makita.

I use the jig more than the circ, but a woodcutting blade for the angle
grinder is on my list (sure there was a thread about this recently - someone
said don't get 'chainsaw' type blades, but I haven't been able to find
anything)

---8---

* small vaccuum. Having trouble finding one at the moment.

A handheld cordless vac that worked would be a boon ...

---8---

Decent first aid kit in the van.

I carry plasters, and tweezers (in Swiss Navy Knife) for getting out
splinters and extra dioptre reading glasses so I can see while doing it
(with the £5 headlight torch if need be)

A low set of step ladders, in addition to taller ones?

It depends what I can carry really. I was thinking of a small 2- or
3-step set to start with as, other than lofts, that's all I've needed so
far.

I have one of those that double as step ladder or extension ladder - reach
lofts but not much more, but haven't needed more (yet)

hth

--
John Stumbles

Not the usual SDS question PM UK diy 11 July 9th 03 01:29 PM
AEG 16800 condenser question Egbert Nobacon UK diy 4 July 7th 03 11:27 AM
Might be a really stupid question but Alex UK diy 0 July 5th 03 11:31 PM
Circular Saw question Bob Minchin UK diy 0 July 3rd 03 09:22 PM