Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Corsa wing mirror

SWMBO's nearside mirrors been pranged. Glass is cracked but still there.

I guess replacing the glass is easy enough, but when you adjust the angle
it stays in position for a while, then springs upwards - so all you could
see would be low flying aircraft.

It manually adjustable, wiggly thing inside door.

Is this fixable? Never had one apart before. Do you remove it from inside
the door panel?

Or do I need to visit a) main dealer or b) scrappy?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
SWMBO's nearside mirrors been pranged. Glass is cracked but still there.

I guess replacing the glass is easy enough, but when you adjust the angle
it stays in position for a while, then springs upwards - so all you could
see would be low flying aircraft.

It manually adjustable, wiggly thing inside door.

Is this fixable? Never had one apart before. Do you remove it from
inside the door panel?

Or do I need to visit a) main dealer or b) scrappy?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

The adjuster may not be broken. It might now be playing up because the glass
is cracked or not sitting correctly in the wirror housing due to the bang it
had. Once you have got the glass off you will see how the adjuster works and
you can grease it if needed.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman wrote:
SWMBO's nearside mirrors been pranged. Glass is cracked but still there.

I guess replacing the glass is easy enough, but when you adjust the
angle it stays in position for a while, then springs upwards - so all
you could see would be low flying aircraft.

The actual mirror is usually fixed to a frame which unclips from the pivot
mechanism. But can be awkward to remove/refit. Swing the mirror to the
maximum travel and you should be able to see one or more of the clips -
usually four in total. The pivot mechanism usually just relies on friction
to stay in place since there's no weight etc to counterbalance. Although
I'm not familiar with every type.

It manually adjustable, wiggly thing inside door.

Is this fixable? Never had one apart before. Do you remove it from
inside the door panel?

There's usually one large nut round the wiggly thing that holds it in
place. Perhaps covered by a plastic trim?

Or do I need to visit a) main dealer or b) scrappy?

Dunno. I've usually managed to fix them - but if the outside is damaged
too a replacement might be the easy way. Can be a pain if they're painted
the same colour as the car.

--
*I don't have a license to kill, but I do have a learner's permit.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 09:52:06 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article , The Medway
Handyman wrote:
[...]

It'll be behind a ( possibly triangular) piece of plastic on the inner
side of the door behind the mirror ....try gently prising that off .
As for getting a replacement I got one for my Munndayoh (off Ebay
iirc) but it wasn't painted so you might need to consider that but it
was cheap. You could also Google for Corsa spares

--------------
Any posting using my name and/or e-mail address
but other than by newsindividual.net is not being posted by me and should be disregarded .
Remove NOSPAM to reply by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
SWMBO's nearside mirrors been pranged. Glass is cracked but still
there.
I guess replacing the glass is easy enough, but when you adjust the
angle it stays in position for a while, then springs upwards - so all
you could see would be low flying aircraft.

Thanks chaps - got it sorted. plastic plate behind mirror, two clips & two
small bowden cable type things - bugger to get in, but long nosed pliers won
the day. Local accessory shop had a self adhesive mirror glass that fitted
perfectly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk