Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default time delay relay

Any of the knowledgeable posters to this NG know where to source an
encapsulated 230v delayed-on relay?

I've just re-installed the heat pump for the swimming pool - it's been
stood idle for the last 12 years! The manufacturer has long-since ceased
trading (it was a company RSD from Alton in Hants).

It used to work once upon a time, but won't fire up now. I have a service
manual of sorts, and looking at the rather elementary wiring diagram, it
looks as though the delay-on timer is shot. Nothing will work until the
timer cuts in. There's a power-on light, and that's lit up, otherwise
nothing!

Ideally I'm looking for a fixed time (5-8 minutes would be ideal) unit with
flying leads, say 3" long, that can be wired in place of the existing
timer. Spade connectors would suffice, with shielded spades.

Google gives me two or three manufacturers in the US, but nothing I can
track down in the UK.

--
The Wanderer

Inertia keeps me going!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

RS?
http://tinyurl.com/czuq8p
Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:33:25 +0100, Baz wrote:

Ideally I'm looking for a fixed time (5-8 minutes would be ideal) unit
with
flying leads, say 3" long, that can be wired in place of the existing
timer. Spade connectors would suffice, with shielded spades.

Google gives me two or three manufacturers in the US, but nothing I can
track down in the UK.

--
The Wanderer

Inertia keeps me going!

RS?
http://tinyurl.com/czuq8p

Thanks, I'd looked at RS and CPC Farnell, but they seem to stock mainly din
style units.

--
The Wanderer

Meditate! It's better than sitting doing nothing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 May, 17:42, The Wanderer wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:33:25 +0100, Baz wrote:
Ideally I'm looking for a fixed time (5-8 minutes would be ideal) unit
with
flying leads, say 3" long, that can be wired in place of the existing
timer. Spade connectors would suffice, with shielded spades.

Google gives me two or three manufacturers in the US, but nothing I can
track down in the UK.

--
The Wanderer

Inertia keeps me going!

RS?
http://tinyurl.com/czuq8p

Thanks, I'd looked at RS and CPC Farnell, but they seem to stock mainly din
style units.

--
The Wanderer

Meditate! It's better than sitting doing nothing.

It's always worth checking Ebay - I've found all sort of useful
electronic components there at very acceptable prices. Alright some
of them are coming in from China but I've never had any problems with
that.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Would item 260400961413
on Fleabay be worth a punt?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Wanderer
writes
[...]

"Five minute delay timer" brings up loads of hits

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Wanderer" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:33:25 +0100, Baz wrote:

Ideally I'm looking for a fixed time (5-8 minutes would be ideal) unit
with
flying leads, say 3" long, that can be wired in place of the existing
timer. Spade connectors would suffice, with shielded spades.

RS?

Thanks, I'd looked at RS and CPC Farnell, but they seem to stock mainly
din
style units.

OK, but this is a DIY group...

Is it not possible to devise some kind of mounting to be able to use
commonly-available parts?
Perhaps saw a short length of DIN rail to suit?
Heck, even RTV the damn thing to the back of the enclosure.

Perhaps a photo of the physical constraints?

I've used similar devices before, and I have to say, 'RS' and 'DIN Rail'
were the first thing that sprang into my mind whan I saw your post. Is it
not possible to adapt something off-the-shelf like this?

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , The Wanderer
writes
Any of the knowledgeable posters to this NG know where to source an
encapsulated 230v delayed-on relay?

I've just re-installed the heat pump for the swimming pool - it's been
stood idle for the last 12 years! The manufacturer has long-since ceased
trading (it was a company RSD from Alton in Hants).

It used to work once upon a time, but won't fire up now. I have a service
manual of sorts, and looking at the rather elementary wiring diagram, it
looks as though the delay-on timer is shot. Nothing will work until the
timer cuts in. There's a power-on light, and that's lit up, otherwise
nothing!

Ideally I'm looking for a fixed time (5-8 minutes would be ideal) unit
with
flying leads, say 3" long, that can be wired in place of the existing
timer. Spade connectors would suffice, with shielded spades.

Goto Farnell, search for "Delay Timer, select "On Delay", and you get to 105
products, one of which is an Omron device
http://uk.farnell.com/omron-industri...0vac/dp/104631
which uses an 11 pin round connector, the connectors are also available, and
can be bolted onto any metal plate available. If, when, the timer goes wrong
in the future you unplug it, bin it and plug in a new one. Easy Peazy !!
Pricey though !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

Thanks, I'd looked at RS and CPC Farnell, but they seem to stock mainly din
style units.

Could you not just slap it in an enclosu

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BHCT2.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Wanderer
saying something like:

RS?
http://tinyurl.com/czuq8p

Thanks, I'd looked at RS and CPC Farnell, but they seem to stock mainly din
style units.

Stick it in a Hagar box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:16:12 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

Any of the knowledgeable posters to this NG know where to source an
encapsulated 230v delayed-on relay?

Thanks for the replies. The key word was encapsulated. It's going in a
fairly hostile environment that is also fairly restricted for space.

--
The Wanderer

Faith is a gift from your God
Religion is a gift from the Devil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 04 May 2009 07:04:25 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:16:12 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

Any of the knowledgeable posters to this NG know where to source an
encapsulated 230v delayed-on relay?

Thanks for the replies. The key word was encapsulated. It's going in a
fairly hostile environment that is also fairly restricted for space.

There's the Amperite ST1 which is a solid state delayed-on relay - you
can't get much more encapsulated than that (except it has exposed spade
terminals - one pair for the load, one pair for a delay-setting pot or
resistor)

You could just ask the US Manufacturer if they'll send you one in the
post so you can "test it before speccing it in a large project that will
need hundreds ;-)". For something that small and light, it shouldn't be
too difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:16:12 +0100, The Wanderer wrote:

Any of the knowledgeable posters to this NG know where to source an
encapsulated 230v delayed-on relay?

Thanks for the replies. The key word was encapsulated. It's going in a
fairly hostile environment that is also fairly restricted for space.

Depends on how restricted your space is I guess. No room for a
weatherproof enclosure like?:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK5702.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Relay delay circuit? Peter Hucker Electronics 6 July 2nd 07 09:02 PM
Time Delay Relay Chris W Electronics 2 March 1st 05 09:06 PM
Delay on a mains-powered relay? Ken Taylor Electronics Repair 45 January 20th 05 12:01 AM
Time Delay RCDs Christopher Key UK diy 8 December 17th 04 12:56 PM
time off delay Relay Electronics 2 November 25th 03 04:25 AM