22mm compression fittings: spanners required?

Old May 2nd 09, 10:13 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 22mm compression fittings: spanners required?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Don't forget that compression fittings are BSP sized, therefore the
correct spanners will (or should be) imperial size.

I did wonder that when I measured 28.5mm but then I thought if the
pipe is metric, surely the fittings will be too; I was forgetting that
15 and 22 mm pipe are essentially 1/2 and 3/4 inch pipe.

15mm and 1/2" are quite close:

Half inch is near enough to 12.5 mm. 2 1/2 mm smaller than 15 mm

22mm and 3/4" ain't.

3/4 inch is near enough to 19 mm. 3 mm smaller.

Dave
Old May 3rd 09, 10:21 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
15mm and 1/2" are quite close:

Half inch is near enough to 12.5 mm. 2 1/2 mm smaller than 15 mm

22mm and 3/4" ain't.

3/4 inch is near enough to 19 mm. 3 mm smaller.

Metric sizes are the outside diameter of the tube whereas imperial is the
bore. And the wall thickness of imperial tube is usually greater than
metric. In other words few could identify 15mm against 1/2" without
measuring it - but you can between 22mm and 3/4"

--
*If work is so terrific, how come they have to pay you to do it?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old May 4th 09, 02:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 18:16:00 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

I'd have called those water pump pliers.

That's what I call them too (rightly or wrongly). The pliers I have
now are useless; whenever I try to grip anything, the jaws slip open
to their widest setting. I guess it's time to buy a better make.

I bought a set in Aldi (possibly Lidl) a couple of years ago. Stiltson
wrench, set of water pump ish pliers designed to do up compression wastes -
really useful and a pair of water pump pliers. The latter had one jaw going
through the other rather that laying on top - IYSWIM.

Anywho, never slips, best I've ever used & whole set cheap as chips.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk