Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Slate roof temporary repairs?

I want to take some slates off my roof and replace them with
with something like plywood for a few months..

Ideas please on what type of plywood to use, and how?

Is there a kind of plastic I can cut with scissors and staple into place
between the plywood and the existing slates?

What sort of plywood is best?
or would caravan aluminium be better?
or what?
What do roofers use?

I plan on screwing the plywood into postion,
and making a hatchway up to the roof so i can
start on patching the roof,
learning how to work with slates and lead,
make a frame for solar hot water,
getting some broken rotten rafters fixed,
etc.

[george]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
I want to take some slates off my roof and replace them with
with something like plywood for a few months..

Ideas please on what type of plywood to use, and how?

WBP. Stay well away from wickes though

Is there a kind of plastic I can cut with scissors and staple into place
between the plywood and the existing slates?

roofing felt

What sort of plywood is best?
or would caravan aluminium be better?
or what?
What do roofers use?

roofing felt

I plan on screwing the plywood into postion,
and making a hatchway up to the roof so i can
start on patching the roof,
learning how to work with slates and lead,
make a frame for solar hot water,
getting some broken rotten rafters fixed,
etc.

[george]

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ali ali is offline

On 20 Apr, 00:40, wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
I want to take some slates off my roof and replace them with
with something like plywood for a few months..

Ideas please on what type of plywood to use, and how?

WBP. Stay well away from wickes though

why?

isnt all WBP waterproof?
if wickes sell dodgy stuff then so may other shops-
what am i looking out for?

[g]

I bought a pile of wbp, it delaminated after one bout of rain. They
agreed to replace it, and did so... with more of the same crp. Never
again.

NT

I suspect that if that was the case it was not WBP and should not have
been sold as such!
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought a pile of wbp, it delaminated after one bout of rain. They
agreed to replace it, and did so... with more of the same crp. Never
again.

NT

I suspect that if that was the case it was not WBP and should not have
been sold as such!
Chris

But doesnt ply have the type that it is printed on it,
in which case wickes were selling something called WBP which wasnt
waterproof,
so if I buy WBP from our local builders merchant
how can I suss if it will not delaminate
after i've gone to all the trouble of hauling it up and cutting and screwing
for my temporary roof repair?
(temporary for me means less than ten years)

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "george (dicegeorge)"
writes
I bought a pile of wbp, it delaminated after one bout of rain. They
agreed to replace it, and did so... with more of the same crp. Never
again.

NT

I suspect that if that was the case it was not WBP and should not
have
been sold as such!
Chris

But doesnt ply have the type that it is printed on it,
in which case wickes were selling something called WBP which wasnt
waterproof,

Well yes, but I'd suggest it's most likely either a duff batch, badly
manufactured, or a mis labelled batch.

I've bought WBP for various places over the years, timber merchants, DIY
sheds etc. (including Wickes I'm sure) non has ever delaminated.

so if I buy WBP from our local builders merchant
how can I suss if it will not delaminate

Well, it's really somethign I'd worry about (see how many people her
will report such experinces), but you could stick an off cut in some
water for a bit I guess.

--
Chris French