Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mitre Saw Purchase - Tips and considerations?

Hiya & thanks for reading this.

Need to re-roof a 50ft long shed/'farm building. Thinks: therefore need
mitre saw for cutting numerous rafters. After much net searching have
headache! So many models/makes/types and differing prices.

I'm planning on spending £300/£400. For this dosh it seems I can get a
Dewalt/Bosch/Ryobi sliding compound mitre saw that will cut a 4 x 2 rafter.
So far so good.

Is there anything else I should be taking into consideration? For example,
is the max depth of cut an issue? If I needed to cut a 4 x 4 fence post
could I do this with two cuts, one from either side? And are mitre saws
which have large max depths of cut (if you see what I mean) less accurate on
small cuts such as moulding?

Apologies for being a bit wooly and unclear, but with respect to mitre saws
I'm currently clueless. Hence the appeal for some clarity here.

If you have managed to shine some light into my rather dim mitre saw world,
many thanks! If not, thanks for reading nonethless.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there anything else I should be taking into consideration?

Yes - for your application, think seriously about buying a mitre saw
bench such as the dewalt or bosch branded ones (but not the cheapies -
they're dire). The proper ones are expensive (£150-170, though I've
seen them bundled with the top of the range models from those
manufacturers) - but particularly when you're handling long timbers
they're great - as with the extension arms drawn out you have your
timber on rollers that are perfectly level with the saw table - just
the business for easy handling and accurate positioning. It really
speeded things up for me when I stopped messing about with sawhorses/
stools/oildrums/whatever as supports that all needed tweaking on less
than flat ground.

is the max depth of cut an issue? If I needed to cut a 4 x 4 fence post
could I do this with two cuts, one from either side?

Yes - that works well.

And are mitre saws
which have large max depths of cut (if you see what I mean) less accurate on
small cuts such as moulding?

I changed from the DW700 to the largest Bosch model - which felt less
rigid, but in practice it made no difference.

Only other advice that comes to mind, is think about if you might
handle large floor joists in future. Manufacturers often state max
width and max depth of cut - but are a bit wooly about what the
largest combination of those is. Also on a roof there will be a lot of
angled cuts, demanding even greater capacity - so you won't regret
buying the larger model, but might regret the smaller.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sumgod wrote:

Need to re-roof a 50ft long shed/'farm building. Thinks: therefore need
mitre saw for cutting numerous rafters. After much net searching have
headache! So many models/makes/types and differing prices.

I'm planning on spending £300/£400. For this dosh it seems I can get a
Dewalt/Bosch/Ryobi sliding compound mitre saw that will cut a 4 x 2 rafter.
So far so good.

For that application, pretty much any reasonable saw will do the trick.
However for your budget you could probably pick up something pretty top
end if you wanted. The Makita LS1013 is very highly rated with cabinet
makers etc for its very high accuracy and ease of use.

Is there anything else I should be taking into consideration? For example,

As someone else suggested; a proper stand. Makita do a decent one that
is quite reasonably priced (£75 ish):

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/...roduct=3781 5

This is steel, so quite sturdy, but also quite heavy.

is the max depth of cut an issue? If I needed to cut a 4 x 4 fence post
could I do this with two cuts, one from either side? And are mitre saws

Don't count on being able to cut above the stated specs of the machine.
Quite often the blade guard would foul on the work before you even get
the blade close to the timber. So rather than being able to cut in two
passes you may find you can't make any cut at all.

If you really need to work 4" tall timber, then you would have to look
at the 12" sliding mitre saws like the Makita LS1214:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?..._review#LS1214

which have large max depths of cut (if you see what I mean) less accurate on
small cuts such as moulding?

Inevitably the answer is yes - a bigger saw is harder to keep rigid etc.
However with the decent tools the difference will be fairly small. The
big Makita mentioned above is only slightly less precise than the
smaller one - and will still outperform any of the budget saws.

Apologies for being a bit wooly and unclear, but with respect to mitre saws
I'm currently clueless. Hence the appeal for some clarity here.

General background info can be found he

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/powertools/mitresaw.htm

If you have managed to shine some light into my rather dim mitre saw world,
many thanks! If not, thanks for reading nonethless.

Keep an eye on ebay for genuine second hand high end saws (rather than
the raft loads of new kit sellers). Often the prices will fall well
below new prices - especially on 110V kit. I paid about £200 for a
LS1214 110V saw. I needed to replace a couple of missing accessories for
about £35, but that was still a substantial saving over the £600+ they
normally sell for.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sumgod coughed up some electrons that declared:

[...]

Now I've adjusted it, I'm pretty happy with this:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=107993

[Metabo KGS 255]

But you might consider one of their better models - the one above doesn't
come with any useful widgets like the little brackets out the side that
help support the work piece. However, I manage OK.

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
fwiw:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....tre_saw_review

PS How much accuracy do you need for a reroof job?

Indeed. I've got an el cheapo PPPro sliding one - but with a 10" blade. It
doesn't have indents for the common angles - just a scale, but the pointer
is adjustable. The slide action is a bit sticky, but the upside is there's
pretty well no slop. For most things just setting it with the scale is
fine - for accurate things you can use a set square. It will cut a 12"
wide plank - and 4 x 2. Anything which didn't would be a waste of time.

It's one of those tools which does everything I need. I'm sure a good make
at several times the price would be better - but even although it gets a
lot of use I couldn't justify spending that much.

--
*Two many clicks spoil the browse *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
fwiw:
http://www.wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index....tre_saw_review

PS How much accuracy do you need for a reroof job?

Indeed. I've got an el cheapo PPPro sliding one - but with a 10" blade. It
doesn't have indents for the common angles - just a scale, but the pointer
is adjustable. The slide action is a bit sticky, but the upside is there's
pretty well no slop. For most things just setting it with the scale is
fine - for accurate things you can use a set square. It will cut a 12"
wide plank - and 4 x 2. Anything which didn't would be a waste of time.

It's one of those tools which does everything I need. I'm sure a good make
at several times the price would be better - but even although it gets a
lot of use I couldn't justify spending that much.

I've got a PPro one too, best £20 I spent on a saw.
Mine is big as it has a 12" blade and it weighs a ton.
The twin shafts run in roller bearings and its fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

£20? Are you sure Dennis?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
wrote:
[...]

Yes.
I bought a SCMS and a table saw + stand for £45, both PPro.
I am pretty sure the SCMS was £20 and the table saw was £25 but it could
have been viccy versa.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
I've got a PPro one too, best £20 I spent on a saw.
Mine is big as it has a 12" blade and it weighs a ton.
The twin shafts run in roller bearings and its fine.

£20? Are you sure Dennis?

Mine was nearer 200 than 20. Can't remember the exact figure.

--
*Do they ever shut up on your planet?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Was this from a bloke in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marrked 'swag' by
any chance?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they probably hate you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:33:50 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
Was this from a bloke in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marrked 'swag' by
any chance?

I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they probably hate you.

criminals with swag bags, you mean?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:33:50 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
Was this from a bloke in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marrked
'swag' by
any chance?

I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they probably hate you.

criminals with swag bags, you mean?

Everybody.

Alas Dennis, most people love me for my winning smile & boyish charm....

So, because B&Q love you, they let you have a SCMS & a table saw with stand
for £25?

Must be the glue talking.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...
dennis@home wrote:
"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 22 Apr 2009 11:33:50 +0100, dennis@home wrote:
Was this from a bloke in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marrked
'swag' by
any chance?

I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they probably hate you.

criminals with swag bags, you mean?

Everybody.

Alas Dennis, most people love me for my winning smile & boyish charm....

So, because B&Q love you, they let you have a SCMS & a table saw with
stand for £25?

Must be the glue talking.

You should lay off the glue, I said £45.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Was this from a bloke in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marrked
'swag' by
any chance?

I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they probably hate
you.

criminals with swag bags, you mean?

Everybody.

Alas Dennis, most people love me for my winning smile & boyish
charm.... So, because B&Q love you, they let you have a SCMS & a table
saw with
stand for £25?

Must be the glue talking.

You should lay off the glue, I said £45.

SIGH

OK. So, because B&Q love you, they let you have a SCMS & a table saw with
stand for £45?

You're making things up again Dennis.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

Was this from a bloke in a stripey jumper carrying a bag marrked
'swag' by
any chance?

I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they probably hate
you.

criminals with swag bags, you mean?

Everybody.

Alas Dennis, most people love me for my winning smile & boyish
charm.... So, because B&Q love you, they let you have a SCMS & a table
saw with
stand for £25?

Must be the glue talking.

You should lay off the glue, I said £45.

SIGH

OK. So, because B&Q love you, they let you have a SCMS & a table saw with
stand for £45?

You're making things up again Dennis.

The only one making stuff up is you.
I even have the receipt so i can get it fixed if it breaks under warranty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...
dennis@home wrote:

[...]

So, explain the claim that you have purchased this stuff at a 90% discount.
Was it bumlove?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
m...

So, explain the claim that you have purchased this stuff at a 90%
discount.

To you?
No.
I dare say there are others in the group that know how its done and have
also benefitted but I doubt if they are going to tell you either.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...

So, explain the claim that you have purchased this stuff at a 90%
discount.

To you?
No.
I dare say there are others in the group that know how its done and
have also benefitted but I doubt if they are going to tell you either.

You're talking bollox again Dennis.

A pattern is emerging here. You make an idiot claim which you can't
possibly justify, someone pulls you on it and you start to wriggle.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message m...

So, explain the claim that you have purchased this stuff at a 90%
discount.

To you?
No.
I dare say there are others in the group that know how its done and
have also benefitted but I doubt if they are going to tell you either.

You're talking bollox again Dennis.

A pattern is emerging here. You make an idiot claim which you can't
possibly justify, someone pulls you on it and you start to wriggle.

There is a pattern here..
I say something and you decide to post cr@p in an attempt to try and score
points (what in I have no idea).
It shows just how pathetic you are.
So far you have failed to prove anything I said is wrong despite your
efforts.
I suggest you grow up and concentrate on your customers before they discover
uk.diy and see what sort of idiot they are dealing with.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

So you didn't buy a SCMS & table saw for £45 then? You just made it up?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
[...]

See, you are posting cr@p again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

So you didn't buy a SCMS & table saw for £45 then? You just made it up?

See, you are posting cr@p again.

Denis, are you totally sure you are not typing ********?

You did say:

"I bought a SCMS and a table saw + stand for £45, both PPro.
I am pretty sure the SCMS was £20 and the table saw was £25 but it could
have been viccy versa. "

So that is a mitre saw,
a table saw,
and a stand

Three items (which you call "both") and paid £45 total?

Are you sure you don't mean a mitre saw and a stand for it? (i.e no
table saw)?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

So you didn't buy a SCMS & table saw for £45 then? You just made
it up?

See, you are posting cr@p again.

Denis, are you totally sure you are not typing ********?

You did say:

"I bought a SCMS and a table saw + stand for £45, both PPro.
I am pretty sure the SCMS was £20 and the table saw was £25 but it
could have been viccy versa. "

So that is a mitre saw,
a table saw,
and a stand

Three items (which you call "both") and paid £45 total?

Are you sure you don't mean a mitre saw and a stand for it? (i.e no
table saw)?

Waste of time asking John. He does this all the time. Billy Liar. Lives
in a fantasy world no doubt caused by the glue sniffing.

You won't get a sensible answer.

First of all you get; "I am not surprised you can't get good deals, they
probably hate you"

Then, if you ask him to explain; "To you? No. I dare say there are others
in the group that know how its done and have also benefitted but I doubt if
they are going to tell you either"

Followed by; "So far you have failed to prove anything I said is wrong
despite your efforts".

But you won't get a sensible answer, because he makes it all up.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
et...
dennis@home wrote:

So you didn't buy a SCMS & table saw for £45 then? You just made it up?

See, you are posting cr@p again.

Denis, are you totally sure you are not typing ********?

You did say:

"I bought a SCMS and a table saw + stand for £45, both PPro.
I am pretty sure the SCMS was £20 and the table saw was £25 but it could
have been viccy versa. "

So that is a mitre saw,
a table saw,
and a stand

Three items (which you call "both") and paid £45 total?

Well there are two PPro saws there so do you think I should call them more
than or less than both?

Are you sure you don't mean a mitre saw and a stand for it? (i.e no table
saw)?

No I meant exactly what I said, a SCMS and a table saw + stand.

They cost me £45 for the lot.

The stand is for the table saw BTW as I said above.
They both have TCT blades but are a bit coarse.