Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Combi - Fault

Hi.
I have a W-Bosch 28i which worked ok until 4pm yesterday.
Then then it stopped firing up when running the hot water. And nothing at
the rads.

I can't see any pilot flame inside.

The only clue is when we discovered the problem I noticed that the water
pressure had
gone well below 1 bar.

Whats the usual cause of such a sudden failure?

Thanks.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:51:53 +0100, Arthur 51 wrote:

The only clue is when we discovered the problem I noticed that the water
pressure had gone well below 1 bar.

Whats the usual cause of such a sudden failure?

A leak... Try topping it up as per the instrustions then monitor the
pressure when cold for a while to see if you have a "leak that is a
problem" or one that can be ignored. I wouldn't be concerned about a leak
that only needed the topping up every 6 months or longer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi.
I have a W-Bosch 28i which worked ok until 4pm yesterday.
Then then it stopped firing up when running the hot water. And nothing at
the rads.

I can't see any pilot flame inside.

The only clue is when we discovered the problem I noticed that the water
pressure had
gone well below 1 bar.

Whats the usual cause of such a sudden failure?

Thanks.

Arthur

Is the pressure drop sudden - when did you last check it? When did it last
need adjusting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi.
I have a W-Bosch 28i which worked ok until 4pm yesterday.
Then then it stopped firing up when running the hot water. And nothing at
the rads.

I can't see any pilot flame inside.

The only clue is when we discovered the problem I noticed that the water
pressure had
gone well below 1 bar.

Whats the usual cause of such a sudden failure?

Thanks.

Arthur

Is the pressure drop sudden - when did you last check it? When did it last
need adjusting?

We keep the pressure at about 1.5 and it drops slowly most of the time. I
usually notice
when it drops to about 1.3 so I top it up tp 1.5.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
Hi.
I have a W-Bosch 28i which worked ok until 4pm yesterday.
Then then it stopped firing up when running the hot water. And nothing
at the rads.

I can't see any pilot flame inside.

The only clue is when we discovered the problem I noticed that the water
pressure had
gone well below 1 bar.

Whats the usual cause of such a sudden failure?

Thanks.

Arthur

Is the pressure drop sudden - when did you last check it? When did it
last need adjusting?

We keep the pressure at about 1.5 and it drops slowly most of the time. I
usually notice
when it drops to about 1.3 so I top it up tp 1.5.

Arthur

Have you topped it up again and re-lit the pilot then?

On my Combi the pilot is put out if the boiler overheats. No pilot - no main
jet. I guess some are also linked to the pressure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.net...
On Fri, 10 Apr 2009 10:51:53 +0100, Arthur 51 wrote:

The only clue is when we discovered the problem I noticed that the water
pressure had gone well below 1 bar.

Whats the usual cause of such a sudden failure?

A leak... Try topping it up as per the instrustions then monitor the
pressure when cold for a while to see if you have a "leak that is a
problem" or one that can be ignored. I wouldn't be concerned about a leak
that only needed the topping up every 6 months or longer.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Having topped up the pressure yesterday it hasn't dropped.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
[...]

I haven't treid to relight the pilot...haven't needed to do it before...and
don't know how anyway.
I switched the combi off for an hour yesterday as well.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
[...]

Do you mean you switched it off at the mains? If so that could cause
overheating as the pump would not run to take away the heat in the heat
exchanger. Most pumps are wired to a timer circuit that keeps them running
for about 4 minutes after the thermostats cease calling for heat. If you
cut the mains then the pump cannot run and all the heat in the metalwork
goes into the water and can cause overheating.

Have you got the instructions? On reflection there probably isn't a pilot
light.

Instructions are on Worcester Bosch web site:
http://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/hom...ler-literature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
[...]

Is there a reset button anywhere?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
[...]

I think there is a red thing on top.I recall
{darts off to check to find a red thing on top..presses it...turns on
tap...water is hot}

Thanks very much, gents.

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message

"Arthur 51" wrote in message
[...]

Should find a reset button on top of the boiler on the left.

These work on electronic ignition, there is no pilot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arthur 51
writes

Have you topped it up again and re-lit the pilot then?

On my Combi the pilot is put out if the boiler overheats. No pilot - no
main jet. I guess some are also linked to the pressure.

I haven't treid to relight the pilot...haven't needed to do it before...and
don't know how anyway.

You can't - it's got electronic ignition

I switched the combi off for an hour yesterday as well.

Any particular reason why ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes

Have you topped it up again and re-lit the pilot then?

On my Combi the pilot is put out if the boiler overheats. No pilot - no
main jet. I guess some are also linked to the pressure.

I haven't treid to relight the pilot...haven't needed to do it
before...and
don't know how anyway.

You can't - it's got electronic ignition

I switched the combi off for an hour yesterday as well.

Any particular reason why ?

I hadn't thought of the reset button at that stage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Arthur 51
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes

Have you topped it up again and re-lit the pilot then?

On my Combi the pilot is put out if the boiler overheats. No pilot - no
main jet. I guess some are also linked to the pressure.

I haven't treid to relight the pilot...haven't needed to do it
before...and
don't know how anyway.

You can't - it's got electronic ignition

I switched the combi off for an hour yesterday as well.

Any particular reason why ?

I hadn't thought of the reset button at that stage.

Not RTFM then ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Arthur 51
writes

Have you topped it up again and re-lit the pilot then?

On my Combi the pilot is put out if the boiler overheats. No pilot -
no
main jet. I guess some are also linked to the pressure.

I haven't treid to relight the pilot...haven't needed to do it
before...and
don't know how anyway.

You can't - it's got electronic ignition

I switched the combi off for an hour yesterday as well.

Any particular reason why ?

I hadn't thought of the reset button at that stage.

Not RTFM then ...

CFTFM...

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y