DIY cordless drill battery repair - cheap source for sub-C cells requested.

Old April 6th 09, 12:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY cordless drill battery repair - cheap source for sub-C cells requested.

Hi Folks,

About 7 years ago I bought a cordless drill and have used it lots since.
IIRC it cost about 70 - not a professional's standard but good for DIY.

Following a period of irregular use, about 18 months ago the battery began
to not hold its charge for long and I discovered that there was a common
problem with the charger/battery for that model.
I bought a new battery pack for about 25 off eBay ( at the time I didn't
know there was a charger problem too ).

Anyone guessed the brand yet?

Soon discovered there was a charger problem and replaced a blown power
transistor in the charger though I became aware, soon after, that the
replacement didn't resolve a problem with the charger not switching to
trickle when the battery was fully charged thus overcharging if not watched.

The original set-up recharged the battery in about 1 hour ( one reason I
chose it over cheaper models ).
I know that is far quicker that the recommended charge time but with auto
trickle switching thought OK.

Anyway, all was well, watched the time during recharging and all OK for 12
months or so.
Until I was distracted during the recharging whilst practicing plastering
( not one of my skills ).

The first I became aware of a serious problem was as a result of my wife
shouting for me regarding the smoke coming from the battery/charger last
week.

The replacement battery plastic housing was overheated, swollen and
distorted and the replacement 25 battery is knacked.

Jump ahead 1 week. I need a cordless drill for the renovation I'm currently
doing so began to look urgently for replacement.

Wife saw advert in newspaper - special offer, 2 selected power tools from
Wickes for 29.99 includes cordless drill option, choice of 4 or 5 different
tools.

I already have all of the other power tools on offer ( having bought a new
sander [about 30 ] only about 3 weeks ago [sick as a pig]).

Anyway, as the charge rate, for the Wickes cordless drill, required 3-5
hours I decided to buy 2 of 15.6 volt cordless drills. I'd have a second
battery to be charging whilst the first was in use.

The drill is OK for for DIY but lacking some of the options of my 7 yr old
original.

Now a 15.6 volt cordless drill has 13 of 1.2 volt subC rechargeable cells in
its battery pack.

My original drill was 12 volt and had 10.

Each of the new Wickes drills cost me 15 and each included 13 cells in the
battery pack.
So assuming the mechanical part of the drill is free the cells cost only
(15/13) [ just over 1 ] each and they are making a profit even at that.
Looking on the web I can't buy tabbed subC rechargeable cells for anywhere
near that price.
Unless I'm looking in the wrong place.

Have thought about repairing, by replacing cells, my original 10 cell
cordless.

I could strip 10 new cells from one of my new Wickes drills and install them
in the ( plastic undamaged ) original battery pack for my original cordless
drill.

I could then make a PROPER charger to fit into the original charger case to
prevent overcharging.

I'd prefer to buy 10 tabbed subC cells at something like a reasonable price
which all the above would suggest was about 0.50 - 0.75 each.

Does anyone have a source for such.

TTFN - Colin

--
The eMail address used in newsgroups is invalid - reply to group only for me
to see.

Old April 6th 09, 12:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"JDT2Q" wrote in message
..

Have thought about repairing, by replacing cells, my original 10 cell
cordless.

I could strip 10 new cells from one of my new Wickes drills and install
them in the ( plastic undamaged ) original battery pack for my original
cordless drill.

I could then make a PROPER charger to fit into the original charger case
to prevent overcharging.

i gave up buying cheap cordless drills this year, having gone through about
5 of them in as many years,

got a makita 18 volt li-ion set from screwfix for about 80 quid in one of
their frequent sales.

charges in 15 minutes, lasts bloomin ages on a charge, and being a li-ion
battery the self discharge rate is very low (i use li-po batteries with me
model airplane, have left them sitting on the shelf for over a year, and
they still show 95% charged)

i'm never farting about with ni-cads or mi-mh batteries again, they are old
technology now, hence why they are so cheap i guess with all these chinkie
knock offs,
if you want tabbes sub C cells, try a radio controlled model shop, but they
wont be as cheap as you want because people dont like the crappy chinkie
cells the die without warning in their planes,

but to be honnest, once you have bought the cells, added the charger, farted
about splitting open the old pack and soldering up the cells into the same
configuration, getting the pack housing closed up again, you would be more
than half way towards the cost of a makita li-ion drill at screw fix,
if you haddnt bought the 2 drills from wickes, then you'd prolly have the
dosh right now.

Old April 6th 09, 07:37 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I agree, having looked at this recently for my pro bosch tools, the
best deal on replacemnet batteries/cells is just to buy a good quality
cordless tool with what you want in the bundle. Recelling or buying
cells just wasn't economic. The market place is set up to work in a
certain way, and that is that cordless drill bundles work out cheaper
than just buying a couple of batteries, or even the cost of the cells
inside them. You can go against these trends, but you'll end up paying
more for less.

If cell longevity and fast recharge is sufficiently important to you -
then a buy a professional model tool with 15 minute charger, that is
designed and built to have the cells cycled frequently. Lots of very
competitive offers out there, and if you can afford it, as the
Old April 6th 09, 07:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

gazz wrote:
"JDT2Q" wrote in message
..

Have thought about repairing, by replacing cells, my original 10 cell
cordless.

I could strip 10 new cells from one of my new Wickes drills and
install them in the ( plastic undamaged ) original battery pack for
my original cordless drill.

I could then make a PROPER charger to fit into the original charger
case to prevent overcharging.

i gave up buying cheap cordless drills this year, having gone through
about 5 of them in as many years,

Couldn't agree more. BTDTGTTS. I've been running a couple of Makita's with
ni cads for over three years now, in daily use, no hint of battery failure.
When they do eventually go I'll buy Makita again but with li-ion.

The chargers with decent tools are already 'proper'. Good quality cells &
proper chargers are part of what you pay for with better brands.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old April 6th 09, 08:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 00:24:01 +0100
"JDT2Q" wrote:

Hi Folks,

About 7 years ago I bought a cordless drill and have used it lots since.
IIRC it cost about £70 - not a professional's standard but good for DIY.

Don't bother with cheap drills.
Buy a Makita (or Metabo, etc.. i.e. good) Li-On.
You will thank God every few minutes that you did.
Nicad and Nimh batteries are a waste of money - however cheap they are.
R.

Old April 6th 09, 10:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd prefer to buy 10 tabbed subC cells at something like a reasonable price
which all the above would suggest was about 0.50 - 0.75 each.

Does anyone have a source for such.

TTFN - Colin

Try here for batteries:-

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Batteries

Old April 6th 09, 11:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:
Nicad and Nimh batteries are a waste of money - however cheap they are.

********. Good quality Ni-Cads or NiMH are fine for cordless tools. They
just have different characteristics to LiOn.

Poor quality cells of any type are a waste of money.

--
*Stable Relationships Are For Horses. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old April 6th 09, 11:07 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

TheOldFellow writes:

On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 00:24:01 +0100
"JDT2Q" wrote:

Hi Folks,

About 7 years ago I bought a cordless drill and have used it lots since.
IIRC it cost about £70 - not a professional's standard but good for DIY.

Don't bother with cheap drills.
Buy a Makita (or Metabo, etc.. i.e. good) Li-On.
You will thank God every few minutes that you did.
Nicad and Nimh batteries are a waste of money - however cheap they are.

I don't think NiMh belongs in the same bracket as NiCd. I
have a Makita with a pair of NiMh packs. The only problem
I've noticed with the NiMh batteries is their self-discharge
rate, which means that if you don't use them for a long
time, there's not much juice left, but I find that if I pick
the thing up, use it until the used battery is flat and put
that on charge, it has charged up before the spare pack has
run down. I've used this same pair of packs in a "bursty"
pattern (periods of no use, then fairly heavy use) for seven
years without any sign of trouble.

NiCd batteries are a different story, and NiMh -- which are
easily damaged by bad charging -- with a poorly designed
charger would be no good at all.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Old April 6th 09, 11:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I'd prefer to buy 10 tabbed subC cells at something like a reasonable price
which all the above would suggest was about 0.50 - 0.75 each.

Does anyone have a source for such.

TTFN - Colin

Try here for batteries:-

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electrical-Power/Batteries

I use Euro batteries for replacement cells. Excellent service. If you
order from a email address you've not registered with them before you
get 20% off your 'first' order
Also worth looking with google for discount codes sometimes these are
greater than 20%

Bob
Old April 6th 09, 12:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 11:03:00 +0100
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
TheOldFellow wrote:
Nicad and Nimh batteries are a waste of money - however cheap they are.

********. Good quality Ni-Cads or NiMH are fine for cordless tools. They
just have different characteristics to LiOn.

Poor quality cells of any type are a waste of money.

I thought that too - until I bought a Metabo Li-On drill 3 years ago.
14v works like 18v, always ready, no worries about putting it away
discharged, charges in 15 minutes... The list goes on and on.

The more infrequently you use it, but assuming you need to do quite a
bit when you do need it, the more sense it makes to have a Li-On drill.

I don't use any other cordless tools, so I can't say anything about
them.

Poor quality in any tool is a waste of money - you learn that
quite early on - the trick is avoiding them, and price/branding isn't
what it used to be. I have an B&D 1/4" router that is over forty
years old - still works fine - I wouldn't buy a B&D toilet roll today.

R.