Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing border glue

I have removed the paper backing of a border (the previous owners just
took the top layer off) that is on a painted wall. Now I am left with a
sticky glue, the kind that is left behind from sticky labels, not
wallpaper paste.

How do I remove the glue without damaging the paint below? I intend to
paint the walls, and would like a clean finish without a textured line
from the glue. There is about 20-25m to do.

Thanks

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Smith wrote:
I have removed the paper backing of a border (the previous owners just
took the top layer off) that is on a painted wall. Now I am left with a
sticky glue, the kind that is left behind from sticky labels, not
wallpaper paste.

How do I remove the glue without damaging the paint below? I intend to
paint the walls, and would like a clean finish without a textured line
from the glue. There is about 20-25m to do.

Thanks

Bob

Meths should do it ok but do test a small patch first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
Bob Smith wrote:
I have removed the paper backing of a border (the previous owners just
took the top layer off) that is on a painted wall. Now I am left with
a sticky glue, the kind that is left behind from sticky labels, not
wallpaper paste.

How do I remove the glue without damaging the paint below? I intend
to paint the walls, and would like a clean finish without a textured
line from the glue. There is about 20-25m to do.

Thanks

Bob

Meths should do it ok but do test a small patch first.

Thanks. I was thinking something solventy, but thought with the large
area it was a bad idea.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Smith wrote:
Bob Minchin wrote:
Bob Smith wrote:
I have removed the paper backing of a border (the previous owners
just took the top layer off) that is on a painted wall. Now I am
left with a sticky glue, the kind that is left behind from sticky
labels, not wallpaper paste.

How do I remove the glue without damaging the paint below? I intend
to paint the walls, and would like a clean finish without a textured
line from the glue. There is about 20-25m to do.

Thanks

Bob

Meths should do it ok but do test a small patch first.

Thanks. I was thinking something solventy, but thought with the large
area it was a bad idea.

Bob

I would use an aerosol sticky label remover with orange peel extract
(limonene) as the active ingredient.

This will not smell as bad as meths and is not so bad for your hands either!

http://www.rapidonline.com/ part no: 87-0655

or Lawson HIS http://preview.tinyurl.com/cz5bdm

If you can get it from your local pound shop, even better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find white spirit is good for self-adhesive residues.

Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Apr, 10:00, Dave W wrote:
I find white spirit is good for self-adhesive residues.

Dave W

Agreed. Isn't it amazing how e.g. B&Q unerringly stick these labels on
the front surface of things like brushed aluminium trim. White spirit
is about the best for removing them without leave any trace.

Toom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Smith wrote:
I have removed the paper backing of a border (the previous owners just
took the top layer off) that is on a painted wall. Now I am left with a
sticky glue, the kind that is left behind from sticky labels, not
wallpaper paste.

How do I remove the glue without damaging the paint below? I intend to
paint the walls, and would like a clean finish without a textured line
from the glue. There is about 20-25m to do.

I'd try white spirit first. It works with some self adhesives. Or label
remover - you'll get that from the likes of Maplin.

--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Toom Tabard wrote:
Agreed. Isn't it amazing how e.g. B&Q unerringly stick these labels on
the front surface of things like brushed aluminium trim. White spirit
is about the best for removing them without leave any trace.

Even worse on planed wood or mouldings, etc.

--
*I'm not your type. I'm not inflatable.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Toom Tabard wrote:
Agreed. Isn't it amazing how e.g. B&Q unerringly stick these labels on
the front surface of things like brushed aluminium trim. White spirit
is about the best for removing them without leave any trace.

Even worse on planed wood or mouldings, etc.

We moved into an empty house about a month ago. The plumber put "do not
use" tape on the brass fire surround, toilet seats, boiler etc. Don't
know if it was meant to be security tape, but it left the white sticky
backing behind (been stuck on for a year). Made a nice black flock "do
not use" on the toilet lid where I sat to drain the radiator and it took
the fluff off my jeans.

I ended up using T cut on the brass, and replacing the toilet seats with
nice warm wooden ones. I also found out that Zippo lighter fluid no
longer removes sticky residue.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Smith" wrote in message
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Toom Tabard wrote:
Agreed. Isn't it amazing how e.g. B&Q unerringly stick these labels on
the front surface of things like brushed aluminium trim. White spirit
is about the best for removing them without leave any trace.

Even worse on planed wood or mouldings, etc.

We moved into an empty house about a month ago. The plumber put "do not
use" tape on the brass fire surround, toilet seats, boiler etc. Don't
know if it was meant to be security tape, but it left the white sticky
backing behind (been stuck on for a year). Made a nice black flock "do
not use" on the toilet lid where I sat to drain the radiator and it took
the fluff off my jeans.

I ended up using T cut on the brass, and replacing the toilet seats with
nice warm wooden ones. I also found out that Zippo lighter fluid no
longer removes sticky residue.

Someone has to ask - why the toilet seat (in particular)?

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Removing Wallpaper glue [email protected] UK diy 5 February 22nd 07 12:53 AM
Removing glue from skirting MrsDux UK diy 6 January 21st 07 01:40 AM
Removing wallpaper border from painted (vinyl?) wallpaper Robert Campbell UK diy 12 May 23rd 06 10:20 AM
help removing glue! dotdotdot UK diy 3 November 24th 04 10:21 PM
removing (what I think is) glue lou Home Repair 2 October 27th 04 04:35 AM