David Micklem

Default Hinges and ideas for shutters

Hi all,

My sister has asked me to make up some (internal) shutters for a couple
of her windows. They are intended to cut down on dust (by getting rid
of the curtains - my niece is allergic) and also hopefully block some
noise from the road. I was hoping to tap your collective wisdom for
ideas/warnings over possible pitfalls.

Each shutter has to have three quite narrow hinged sections and I'm
looking for advice on where to get appropriate hinges (and what they
are called) and also on the best choice of material for the shutters.

I'd originally planned to try to make each section up to resemble a
panelled door but she would prefer a completely smooth appearance. So I
think the options for materials are either solid sheets of MDF or
plywood or to make up a frame of softwood and skin it with e.g.
hardboard. Any strong opinions or alternative ideas?
My feeling is that the solid sheets will be heavier and may thus be
better for sound insulation?

The hinges between the frame and the first section will need to be
Parliament hinges so that the shutters will clear the trim around the
window. (Ideally the hinges between the second and third sections will
also be Parliament hinges so that when folded the third section can sit
between the first and second sections_.

Maybe I can manage some ascii art to try to make what I mean clearer...

Shutters closed:
(Shutter panel 1 = ***
Shutter panel 2 = @@@
Shutter panel 3 = ###)

|======================window================
wall |
____________________ |||***************||@@@@@@@@@@@@@ ###########
\_||| || ~~o~~
|| ~~ 3
~~ 2
1
Parl. Parl. Normal
Hinge Hinge Hinge

Shutters open:

|======================window================
wall |
____________________ ||
\_||
|@@@@@@@@@@@@@ |
| 3 =o ~1
2 ~ ########### |
| |
|****************|

I am a bit worried that the parliament hinges would need to be fastened
into the edges of the shutters. I suspect that MDF is not strong enough
for this to be a good idea. Would plywood be any better? Alternatively
is it possible to buy parliament hinges with a built in right angle on
one or both leaves so that they could be screwed to the face of the
shutters rather than the edge. Does anyone know what such hinges would
be called/where to get them?

Any design suggestions/improvements would be very welcome!

Thanks for your help,

David

--
Reply_to may be munged if my newsreader behaves. I read
mail sent to microlaserpro at lycos dot com.
nightjar

"David Micklem" wrote in message
[...]

If you are making something as an answer to an allergy, I would avoid MDF.
There is a slight risk of vapours from the resin causing a reaction in a
sensitive person. My personal choice would be foamed PVC, which is available
from plastics merchants in 8ft x 4ft sheets, in a variety of thicknesses and
colours (also thereby avoiding the possibility of paint fumes). Something
around 10-12mm thick would be lightweight and give you enough to attach
hinges to. It can be worked with hand woodworking tools, but use power tools
with caution - they can melt rather than cut the plastic.

My feeling is that the solid sheets will be heavier and may thus be
better for sound insulation?

That is true, if you also seal all the air gaps around the edges. Otherwise
the noise will simply go around the shutters. However, I'm not sure that you
would get a noticable effect, unless you made the shutters quite heavy.

The alternatives, depending on budget, would be to go contiental and fit the
shutters outside the window, or to fit a roller shutter, also outside the
window. The latter can be hand or electrically operated from inside. I would
choose the type used in sunny countries, where there are thin slots between
each slat. When the shutter is just closed, the slots still allow some light
through, but give privacy from outside. By continuing further, the slots
progressively close off, from the bottom, until the shutter blacks out the
room completely.

Colin Bignell

David Micklem

In article , "nightjar" nightjar@insert my surname here.uk.com wrote:

[...]

I'm not familiar with this stuff. How well it take screws/other fixings? I
don't think my niece is sensitive to formaldehyde/urea, just dust, but I suppose
it can't hurt to be too careful. Isn't the foamed PVC expanded with a similarly
toxic/sensitising chemical?

My feeling is that the solid sheets will be heavier and may thus be
better for sound insulation?

That is true, if you also seal all the air gaps around the edges. Otherwise
the noise will simply go around the shutters. However, I'm not sure that you
would get a noticable effect, unless you made the shutters quite heavy.

We will be trying to make a quite good seal (although doubtless imperfect).

The alternatives, depending on budget, would be to go contiental and fit the
shutters outside the window, or to fit a roller shutter, also outside the
window. The latter can be hand or electrically operated from inside. I would
choose the type used in sunny countries, where there are thin slots between
each slat. When the shutter is just closed, the slots still allow some light
through, but give privacy from outside. By continuing further, the slots
progressively close off, from the bottom, until the shutter blacks out the
room completely.

Unfortunately, even if the budget permitted it (which it doesn't!), it is not
possible to alter the outside appearance of the house in any way. Shame, I've
used that type of blind in Germany and really liked them.

Thanks for the suggestions,

David

Colin Bignell

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
jerrybuilt

David Micklem wrote:
My sister has asked me to make up some (internal) shutters for
a couple of her windows. They are intended to cut down on dust
(by getting rid of the curtains - my niece is allergic) and also
hopefully block some noise from the road. I was hoping to tap
your collective wisdom for ideas/warnings over possible pitfalls.

Hmm. Don't curtains tend to collect dust, rather than make it?
Can't she use a non-dusty curtain material?

Each shutter has to have three quite narrow hinged sections
and I'm looking for advice on where to get appropriate hinges
(and what they are called) and also on the best choice of
material for the shutters.

What sort of sindows are they?

I'd originally planned to try to make each section up to resemble
a panelled door

Sounds nice...

but she would prefer a completely smooth appearance.

Um.

So I think the options for materials are either solid sheets of
MDF or plywood or to make up a frame of softwood and skin
it with e.g. hardboard. Any strong opinions or alternative ideas?
My feeling is that the solid sheets will be heavier and may thus be
better for sound insulation?

I'd prefer "proper" timber, but I suppose MDF could do the job,
painted up to disguise it... if you use "heavier" material, it will
also be less likely to jiggle with wind or vibration, which could
be a problem. If you do use redwood or whatnot, take care
of warping!

The hinges between the frame and the first section will need
to be Parliament hinges so that the shutters will clear the trim

Trim? Architrave?

around the window. (Ideally the hinges between the second and
third sections will also be Parliament hinges so that when folded
the third section can sit between the first and second sections_.

Not sure why - I'dve thought this would make them unwieldy.

How big is the window? How deep is the reveal?

be !
Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
Owain

"David Micklem" wrote
| My sister has asked me to make up some (internal) shutters for a
| couple of her windows. They are intended to cut down on dust
| (by getting rid of the curtains - my niece is allergic) and
| also hopefully block some noise from the road.

Draught-proof existing windows, secondary glazing and roller blind.

This will have the advantage it will cut the noise all the time, not just
when the shutters are closed at night.

Owain

David Micklem

In article , "jerrybuilt"
] wrote:

David Micklem wrote:
My sister has asked me to make up some (internal) shutters for
a couple of her windows. They are intended to cut down on dust
(by getting rid of the curtains - my niece is allergic) and also
hopefully block some noise from the road. I was hoping to tap
your collective wisdom for ideas/warnings over possible pitfalls.

Hmm. Don't curtains tend to collect dust, rather than make it?

Yes, but that is the problem: the curtains collect the dust, making it
hard to remove with routine hoovering. The dust mites feast on it and
um, **** profusely. Then whenever the curtains are moved they shower
the room with allergenic dust/dust-mite-****. At least that is the
theory.

Can't she use a non-dusty curtain material?

Possibly, but that isn't what she's asked me for.

Each shutter has to have three quite narrow hinged sections
and I'm looking for advice on where to get appropriate hinges
(and what they are called) and also on the best choice of
material for the shutters.

What sort of sindows are they?

Tall sash windows.

I'd originally planned to try to make each section up to resemble
a panelled door

Sounds nice...

I thought so too :-(

but she would prefer a completely smooth appearance.

Um.

Yeah well, no accounting for taste. The panels will be quite narrow, so
she may be right.

So I think the options for materials are either solid sheets of
MDF or plywood or to make up a frame of softwood and skin
it with e.g. hardboard. Any strong opinions or alternative ideas?
My feeling is that the solid sheets will be heavier and may thus be
better for sound insulation?

I'd prefer "proper" timber, but I suppose MDF could do the job,
painted up to disguise it... if you use "heavier" material, it will
also be less likely to jiggle with wind or vibration, which could
be a problem. If you do use redwood or whatnot, take care
of warping!

The hinges between the frame and the first section will need
to be Parliament hinges so that the shutters will clear the trim

Trim? Architrave?

Yes, architrave. Sorry.

around the window. (Ideally the hinges between the second and
third sections will also be Parliament hinges so that when folded
the third section can sit between the first and second sections_.

Not sure why - I'dve thought this would make them unwieldy.

I don't think this will be any more unwieldy than the alternative which
is (for want of a better word) a concertina-like arrangement. I figured
that the way I was planning it, the shutter would fold very easily but
when open would be more rigid. This isn't a big issue though - it could
be hinged the other way and will be if I can't find appropriate hinges.

How big is the window? How deep is the reveal?

Roughly 2m high x 1m across. The reveal is 4.5cm. Each window (there
are two) will have a single three-section shutter. This is because
there is only _available_ wall space on one side of each window. Quite
a narrow space too.

Thanks for the suggestions,

David

--
Replace nospame with yahoo to reply
Unsolicited commercial email will incur a $100 processing fee
Bob Minchin

David Micklem wrote:

In article , "jerrybuilt"
] wrote:

David Micklem wrote:
[...]

You might want to consider a rebate on each piece at each hinged joint to
make them more light tight
I cant see the need for parliament hinges though if you hinge off the
architrave.

Bob

nightjar

[...]

It is similar to a lightweight wood.

don't think my niece is sensitive to formaldehyde/urea, just dust, but I

suppose
it can't hurt to be too careful. Isn't the foamed PVC expanded with a

similarly
toxic/sensitising chemical?

I'm not sure what is used. However, it is a closed cell foam, so the foaming
agent stays trapped inside the PVC. I've used the stuff to line medical
clean rooms for years without any problems.

Colin Bignell

jerrybuilt

David Micklem wrote:
[ description of window ]
Roughly 2m high x 1m across. The reveal is 4.5cm. Each
window (there are two) will have a single three-section
shutter. This is because there is only _available_ wall
space on one side of each window. Quite a narrow space
too.

Hm, would it help to attach the shutter to the wall, rather
than to the window? Perhaps to a screwed-on batten? If
there's only a small space at the side of the window, could
you hang a shutter off the perpendicular wall, I wonder, so
the whole window is covered... might not look so nice when
the window is covered, though.

be !
Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
Michael Mcneil

"Owain" wrote in message

Draught-proof existing windows, secondary glazing and roller blind.

Whatever happened to Venetian blinds?