Wiring a PIR

Old March 31st 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring a PIR

Hi,

I have put up an external light and a standard switch. I've bought a
PIR and want to wire it up so that either the PIR or the standard
switch can switch the light on.

The PIR wires are Brown Blue and Red, but I am not sure how to wire
this in. The wiring diagram states the following:

Brown - to Input
Blue (N) - to nothing
Red (O) - connecting with load

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Tom
Old March 31st 09, 11:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
Hi,

I have put up an external light and a standard switch. I've bought a
PIR and want to wire it up so that either the PIR or the standard
switch can switch the light on.

The PIR wires are Brown Blue and Red, but I am not sure how to wire
this in. The wiring diagram states the following:

Brown - to Input
Blue (N) - to nothing
Red (O) - connecting with load

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

I would guess at Brown being Live, Blue being Neutral, (incoming from the
mains), and Red being the switched feed to the lamp. Both brown and blue
would need to be connected to the PIR for it to work. You would also need a
separate neutral at the lamp, along with the switched red for the lamp to
work, and probably an earth wire if required. For a separate switch to
bypass the PIR, you would need to connect a wire from the brown on the PIR
to one side of the switch, then a wire from the other side of the switch to
the red wire connector on the PIR, then with the switch in the on position
the lamp would be on irrespective of the PIR, and with the switch in the off
position, the PIR would operate normally.

Old March 31st 09, 11:22 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Stottle" wrote in message

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

Careful, it could well be one of those which uses the load as a neutral.
That would be consistent with the instruction to connect nothing to the
blue.

OP, what is the make and model?

Old April 1st 09, 05:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I have put up an external light and a standard switch. I've bought a
PIR and want to wire it up so that either the PIR or the standard
switch can switch the light on.

The PIR wires are Brown Blue and Red, but I am not sure how to wire
this in. The wiring diagram states the following:

Brown - to Input
Blue (N) - to nothing
Red (O) - connecting with load

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

If this is your "normal" standalone PIR, then the brown and blue are
used for permanent live and neutral to the PIR, and the red is the
switched output.

So take a live in to the switch and the PIR brown, take the red and
connect it to the other side of the switch and one side of the lamp.
Take the neutral in and connect to the blue on the PIT and then the
other side of the lamp.

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 1st 09, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:
Hi,

I have put up an external light and a standard switch. I've bought a
PIR and want to wire it up so that either the PIR or the standard
switch can switch the light on.

The PIR wires are Brown Blue and Red, but I am not sure how to wire
this in. The wiring diagram states the following:

Brown - to Input
Blue (N) - to nothing
Red (O) - connecting with load

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Tom

PIR brown goes to live
PIR red goes to switched live
PIR blue not connected.

So the PIR is wired across the switch.

NT
Old April 1st 09, 12:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

OP, what is the make and model?- Hide quoted text -

The PIR is from Toolstation - Link below:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh.../sd2663/p22330
Old April 1st 09, 03:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

Yup, used several of these. Wiring can be done exactly as described in
my other post.

(Note these are not the highest quality devices in the world - when they
work the are ok, but I have had the occasional failure out of the box).

--
Cheers,

John.

Old April 1st 09, 04:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ligh...ing/180+Extern...

Yup, used several of these. Wiring can be done exactly as described in
my other post.

(Note these are not the highest quality devices in the world - when they
work the are ok, but I have had the occasional failure out of the box).

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Sorry to seem "dim" - pardon the pun, but is there a way you could
explain the wiring in an idiot proof fashion? Hopefully I am not an
idiot and i have wired up many standard lights and switches in my
time, however I am struggling to follow your explanation for the PIR
wiring. I have found so many wanys of wiring them online that I have
confused myself so the more basicyou can make it the more chance it
has of sinking in!

So I currently have a standard set up of light, standard switch, wired
though a junction box with live, neutral and switched live - How do I
get the PIR wired into this setup.

Also, why do the instructions show a diagram with the blue wire being
connected to nothing?

Many thanks again for your help!

Tom
Old April 1st 09, 05:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

Sorry to seem "dim" - pardon the pun, but is there a way you could
explain the wiring in an idiot proof fashion? Hopefully I am not an
idiot and i have wired up many standard lights and switches in my
time, however I am struggling to follow your explanation for the PIR
wiring. I have found so many wanys of wiring them online that I have
confused myself so the more basicyou can make it the more chance it
has of sinking in!

So I currently have a standard set up of light, standard switch, wired
though a junction box with live, neutral and switched live - How do I
get the PIR wired into this setup.

Also, why do the instructions show a diagram with the blue wire being
connected to nothing?

Many thanks again for your help!

Tom

Can you scan and upload the instructions, along with a photograph of the
internals of the PIR and pictures of your existing installation (J-box,
switch and light fitting)?
Old April 1st 09, 06:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Thomarse wrote:

Sorry to seem "dim" - pardon the pun, but is there a way you could
explain the wiring in an idiot proof fashion? Hopefully I am not an
idiot and i have wired up many standard lights and switches in my
time, however I am struggling to follow your explanation for the PIR
wiring. I have found so many wanys of wiring them online that I have
confused myself so the more basicyou can make it the more chance it
has of sinking in!

Try this:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/images/b/b...ampCircuit.gif

Just to complicate your life I have drawn it with a optional additional
lamp, and additional PIR just to show how they would be wired if you had
them. In your application however you can ignore these!

So I currently have a standard set up of light, standard switch, wired
though a junction box with live, neutral and switched live - How do I
get the PIR wired into this setup.

From your JB, use a 3&E and connect:

the Live to the Live in on the PIR
the neutral to the neutral in on the PIR
the switched live to the Switched Live on the PIR

That way either the switch or the PIR can make the switched live active.

Also, why do the instructions show a diagram with the blue wire being
connected to nothing?

Some PIRs have a capability to get their neutral via the filament or the
lamp they are connected to. However this only works if you are switching
filament lamps. If I were wiring one like this, I would still wire it as
I have shown to allow easy replacement with a different type in the future.

As a general principle its quite convenient run your feed to the first
lamp via a master switch and then string 3&E between it and any
following PIRs, lamps, or Lamps with built in PIRs. That way you can
elect at any position to have a lamp that is:

* switched manually from the master
* automatically via other / all PIRs
* or just via its own PIR if it has one.

If you make the first connection via a 3&E then you can also have
another switch at the head end to force all the lamps on as well.
--
Cheers,

John.

Wiring PM-65 3 ph basilisk Woodworking 1 April 1st 09 04:37 AM
Wiring a Generator Independent of the house's wiring Carl Home Repair 16 May 12th 06 05:28 PM
Wiring certificate and standards for household wiring D.M. Procida UK diy 5 March 10th 06 11:09 AM
Wiring problems, and possibly unsafe old wiring [email protected] Home Repair 4 November 16th 05 05:13 AM
wiring problem wioth loop in wiring and two way switching chrisc UK diy 2 December 28th 04 09:11 PM