Block laying rate

Old March 30th 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Block laying rate

What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

AWEM

Old March 30th 09, 08:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

AWEM

Well even if he is slow, a block a minute = 60 x 7.5 hours = 450 blocks..

If he has a mate to fetch the blocks and mix the mortar its less than that..
Old March 30th 09, 09:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450
blocks maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to
cost in. AWEM

Well even if he is slow, a block a minute = 60 x 7.5 hours = 450
blocks..
If he has a mate to fetch the blocks and mix the mortar its less than
that..

There's no bricky on Earth could lay 450 blocks a day, with or without a
labourer.

To the OP: With a labourer, a good bricky will lay approx 150 blocks, maybe
175, so expect it to take 2.5 days

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old March 30th 09, 09:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Mar, 17:30, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of *number of
blocks layed *(medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

AWEM

Up here the going rate is 0.50 a block.That`s for the brickie to lay
them only,you also need a labourer to mix the compo,lay it at his hand
and stack the blocks so that he picks them up and lays them without
stretching.
He will only be able to build about four courses at a time or it all
sags.

Mark.
Old March 30th 09, 10:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450
blocks maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to
cost in. AWEM

Well even if he is slow, a block a minute = 60 x 7.5 hours = 450
blocks..
If he has a mate to fetch the blocks and mix the mortar its less than
that..

Do brickies up your way wear their underpants outside their trousers?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 30th 09, 10:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
Andrew Mawson wrote:
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.
AWEM

Well even if he is slow, a block a minute = 60 x 7.5 hours = 450
blocks..

If he has a mate to fetch the blocks and mix the mortar its less than that..

There is a bit more to it than that.

The RSJ flange may be 6mm or so. This puts the line a long way from the
work. I made up some grooved hardwood blocks and used cramps to trap the
line and force it to line up with the inside edge. Moving the line takes
time.

I guess this is single storey work so too low for bandstands but too
high to finish the job from the floor. Creating a suitable platform
takes time.

Working under a roof is not easy as you either can't stand upright or
you can't reach the last few courses.

The top course will all need cutting.

I'm no brickie and it took me a week to build a partition wall 35'0 wide
in three bays 16'0 eaves and a pitched roof at 15deg. There was lots of
cutting! Blocks 150 wide.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Old March 30th 09, 11:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

How tall?
There are limits to how many courses you can lay a day to prevent the joints
squeezing out.
I recall it being about 16 for bricks but I have no idea for blocks.

Old March 30th 09, 11:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

AWEM

Lightweight blocks are much quicker than concrete blocks to lay.

The bricklayer can pick them up one handed whereas with the concrete ones he
has to put down his trowel to lift the block with two hands.

mark

Old March 31st 09, 09:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"mark" wrote

Lightweight blocks are much quicker than concrete blocks to lay.

The bricklayer can pick them up one handed whereas with the concrete ones
he has to put down his trowel to lift the block with two hands.

mark

The OP mentions "medium density" rather than lightweight, so the advantages
don't apply.
Those lightweight blocks may be thermally good news but for solidity they
are pants IMHO

Phil

Old March 31st 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
What's a reasonable days work for a bricky in terms of number of
blocks layed (medium density 18" x 9" x 4" concrete) ? This is
curtain walling in a barn 'lean to' filling in between existing rsj
uprights so very little cutting involved. Total job is only 450 blocks
maxium and I'm trying to estimate how many days labour to cost in.

How tall?
There are limits to how many courses you can lay a day to prevent the
joints squeezing out.
I recall it being about 16 for bricks but I have no idea for blocks.

Can you still get brick spacers? I used them a few years back, mainly
for accuracy, but I imagine they would solve the sagging problem.