Jim Brett

Default Home Automation, control your household lights and appliances over the internet

AutoM8it (automate it) is a windows application with built in
webserver that allows you to control your home from anywhere in the
world over the internet.
You can turn lights and appliances on and off, close the curtains,
have incoming telephone numbers spoken to you, monitor temeratures in
different rooms and lots lots more.

For more information please check out www.autom8it.com

We can help with advice on your self build and DIY installs of Home
Automation gear.
Grunff

Jim Brett wrote:

We can help with advice on your self build and DIY installs of Home
Automation gear.

Cool! Can I use your product to send spam from my home PC from
anywhere in the world?

Can I also use it to report spammers to their ISPs? Like to
for instance?

--
Grunff

Martin

"Jim Brett" wrote in message
om...
AutoM8it (automate it) is a windows application with built in
webserver that allows you to control your home from anywhere in the
world over the internet.
You can turn lights and appliances on and off, close the curtains,
have incoming telephone numbers spoken to you, monitor temeratures in
different rooms and lots lots more.

For more information please check out www.autom8it.com

We can help with advice on your self build and DIY installs of Home
Automation gear.

Sounds like a hackers dream!

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Martin wrote:
Sounds like a hackers dream!

I can just imagine a house controlled by windose. The mind boggles.

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Grimly Curmudgeon

On 15 Oct 2003 06:33:20 -0700, (Jim Brett) wrote:

AutoM8it (automate it) is a windows application with built in
webserver that allows you to control your home from anywhere in the
world over the internet.
You can turn lights and appliances on and off, close the curtains,
have incoming telephone numbers spoken to you, monitor temeratures in
different rooms and lots lots more.

For more information please check out
www.autom8it.com

We can help with advice on your self build and DIY installs of Home
Automation gear.

Registrant:
YellowMelon Ltd
16 Duchess Way
Royal Country Park
Chellaston
Derby, UK DE73 1WR
GB

Domain name: AUTOM8IT.COM

Administrative Contact:
Brett, James
16 Duchess Way
Royal Country Park
Chellaston
Derby, UK DE73 1WR
GB
441332690832

**** off you spamming git.
--

Dave

Colin Wilson

Sounds like a hackers dream!
I can just imagine a house controlled by windose. The mind boggles.

You can imagine it on a hot summers day - having to close all the
open windows, rebooting it, then reopening the windows again...

BigWallop

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message
In article ,
Martin wrote:
Sounds like a hackers dream!

I can just imagine a house controlled by windose. The mind boggles.

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Ouch !! That would have to hurt. :-))

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Jim Brett

Firstly: The email obviously offended a number of people and i would
like to take this opportunity to apologise to you all with the
exception of DAVE.

This message was posted with the best of intentions and marked clearly
as an advert.

Whilst I appreciate the general dis-like for spamming, this was a one
of message constructed especially for this group and was a not crosss
posted and was directed towards the groups interests. I sincerley
hoped it may of been of use to some people, and yes its utlitamte
intentions were to increase sales. So
I accept the fact it was deemed as spam.

You will no doubt be very happy to hear i will not post to this group
again. As i respect the groups thoughts and opinions (again not
including DAVE)

DAVE: i do feel your response was both uncalled for and childish.
If you had a greivance with me or the company, you could have posted a
professional and courtous reply to my message and i would have
respected yours and more importantly the groups wishes.

And there was certianly no need to send me a private email spoofed as
myself
hurling insults and swearing. A simple email addressed directly to me,
requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to which i
would have concurred.
Grunff

Jim Brett wrote:

A simple email addressed directly to me,
requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to which i
would have concurred.

I see - that's how it works? You spam people, and expect a
polite email asking you to stop it?

You say your message was specifically aimed at the group - if
that's the case, then one might have expected you to have done a
little research, found the groups FAQs, and read the bit (in big
red writing) about commercial posts.

--
Grunff

Jim Brett

Firstly let me apologise to the group (excluding DAVE) for the
possible offense cause. This was in fact a one of message addressed
directly at the group with the sincere hope that it would be of
genuine interest.
Please be assured that no more "spam" mails will be sent from either
myself or the company as we repect the groups wishes (again exclusing
DAVE)

DAVE: Obviously you are very aggreived with my simple email. To the
extent you have wasted your own valuable time doing a basic reverse
lookup of my details (not difficult as i wasnt trying to hide my
details as per a spamming agent) and sending me private obusive emails
(attempting to spoof them from my own account). Quite frankly im
amazed at how much trouble you have gone to, to try and offend me,
insult me, and publicise my personal details.

All it would have taken, was a simple professional email address to me
direct or on the group saying that the email was considered unsolicted
spam, and request i not post similar message again in the future. To
which i would have happily concurred.

In uk.d-i-y, Jim Brett wrote:

All it would have taken, was a simple professional email address to me
direct or on the group saying that the email was considered unsolicted
spam, and request i not post similar message again in the future. To
which i would have happily concurred.

All it would have taken on your part, Jim, would have been to sample the
group (speed-reading a few threads), and in particular to have put in
the effort to find the group's FAQ, to work out whether direct commercial
postings are welcome/tolerated/dropped-on-from-a-height. You'd have found
that this particular group's social norms are strongly against direct
advertising: the strength of reaction even to clearly-flagged ads like
yours has (as the FAQ says) managed to keep the signal-to-noise ratio
in this group unusually high. You might then have chosen either to forget
using this group to advertise in (we're obviously a bunch of lentil-eating
anti-capitalist ******* who don't understand that buying and selling
is what makes the world go round), or to lurk quietly for a bit, chiming
in when home automation questions came up[1], adding a one-line sig with
your company URL, and letting the usefulness of your contributions be
all the company advertising you need here. (Like Max Bone, Hepworths,
cetltd, and a good few others do. Even - and I can't quite believe
I'm writing this - the once-notorious Robert L Bass appears to have
learnt to do in comp.home.automation, where Google tells me you
posted a similar ADVERT a week ago).

Yes, it's a non-trivial bit of effort on your part. Still, you're
the one who's hoping to drum up some business, and you're hoping to
target your potential market much more accurately than putting stickers
on the lampposts round about where you live and work. Moreover, whatever
the level of your previous experience and competence, for now *you're*
the newcomer in this group, so normal social mores ("when in Rome"...)
suggest you should listen-and-adapt rather than assume a particular
style of behaviour.

Having apparently not bothered to do this preparation, you've been
jumped on with varying degrees of politeness. You're still welcome to
adopt the constructive-engagement strategy outlined above, though it
might be a practical idea to leave it for a few weeks till both you
and the participants here have allowed the first wisps of the mists
of time to shroud the little flare-up we just had...

HTH, Stefek

[1] If, after a few week's lurking, no HA questions appear[ed], that would
suggest this particular group would not be worth posting an ad in, anyway,
let alone constructively engaging...
jerrybuilt

Jim Brett wrote:
Firstly let me apologise to the group (excluding DAVE) for the
possible offense cause. This was in fact a one of message
addressed directly at the group with the sincere hope that it
would be of genuine interest.

No offence taken by me - advertising is not prohibited in the
charter of uk.d-i-y, in fact there isn't one for this group.
Commercial adverts are, though, deprecated in the FAQ,
however this is just that - a FAQ, concocted by unelected
and unaccountable people (this, it might be said, is because
most people don't want to be bothered maintaining a FAQ!).
There is a way to "acceptably" commercially advertise on
uk.d-i-y, which acceptance I personally find rather two-faced.

Please be assured that no more "spam" mails will be sent from
either myself or the company as we repect the groups wishes
(again exclusing DAVE)

Fine, fine - perhaps you could advise on some d-i-y matters
yourself, and commercially advertise yourself at the same time,
as some others do?

DAVE: Obviously you are very aggreived with my simple email.
To the extent [...] of sending me private obusive emails
(attempting to spoof them from my own account). Quite frankly
im amazed at how much trouble you have gone to, to try and
offend me, insult me, and publicise my personal details.

If this dong *has* sent anything such as you suggest, you
are quite within your rights to complain to *his* ISP or
employer, and I would, if I were you. However, oil on
troubled waters is probably better than feeding the furnace.
Hopefully you will receive an apology.
--

be !
Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
dave @ stejonda

In message , Jim Brett
writes
DAVE: i do feel your response was both uncalled for and childish.
If you had a greivance with me or the company, you could have posted a
professional and courtous reply to my message and i would have
respected yours and more importantly the groups wishes.

And there was certianly no need to send me a private email spoofed as
myself hurling insults and swearing. A simple email addressed directly
to me, requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to
which i would have concurred.

So many Daves but I'll raise my trembling hands up to doing this. I
posted the spammer (indeed putting the From and Reply-To as himself and
making no attempt to hide my identity) an email as follows:

Dear **** Spamming Company,

Please do not send advertising messages to usenet groups unless
specifically requested.

Best Regards,

I find it difficult to match that with 'hurling insults and swearing"
but still, in the world of spammers (of whom is but an
example, perhaps I should have emailed
and
as well) any hints of reality are likely to be
confused.

--
dave @ stejonda
dave @ stejonda

In message , Jim Brett
writes

DAVE: Obviously you are very aggreived with my simple email.

Usenet email

To the
extent you have wasted your own valuable time doing a basic reverse
lookup of my details

ah, not me but someone more eminent ;-)

Quite frankly im
amazed at how much trouble you have gone to, to try and offend me,
insult me, and publicise my personal details.

the only language spammers such as those at understand

All it would have taken, was a simple professional email address to me
direct or on the group saying that the email was considered unsolicted
spam, and request i not post similar message again in the future.

you shouldn't have done so in the first place

which i would have happily concurred.

that's what all spammers say

--
dave @ stejonda
Witchy

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:16:37 +0100, Grunff wrote:

Jim Brett wrote:

A simple email addressed directly to me,
requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to which i
would have concurred.

I see - that's how it works? You spam people, and expect a
polite email asking you to stop it?

You say your message was specifically aimed at the group - if
that's the case, then one might have expected you to have done a
little research, found the groups FAQs, and read the bit (in big
red writing) about commercial posts.

I thought part of the raison d'etre of spammers was specifically to
collect valid email addresses to sell onto other spammers.....

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Dave Plowman

In article ,
Jim Brett wrote:
DAVE: i do feel your response was both uncalled for and childish.
If you had a greivance with me or the company, you could have posted a
professional and courtous reply to my message and i would have
respected yours and more importantly the groups wishes.

I'm sorry; I didn't know you owned windose.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
BigWallop

Jim Brett wrote:

A simple email addressed directly to me,
requesting the spam be stopped was all it would have taken to which i
would have concurred.

I see - that's how it works? You spam people, and expect a
polite email asking you to stop it?

You say your message was specifically aimed at the group - if
that's the case, then one might have expected you to have done a
little research, found the groups FAQs, and read the bit (in big
red writing) about commercial posts.

I thought part of the raison d'etre of spammers was specifically to
collect valid email addresses to sell onto other spammers.....

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

How d'you like your SPAM. You can 'ave Spam with chips. You can 'ave your
spam with spam, or you can 'ave it wiff even more chips. :-))

SPAM is normally defined as unsolicited advertising e-mail which is created
to gain the sender profits from selling wares or services for personal gain.
The law now states that such e-mail must only be sent to persons who have
asked for such mailings to be sent to there personal e-mail service for
their perusal.

That's why most software is packaged with the option to "Opt In" to the
makers offer of sending you information of other products which might be of
interest to.

BigWallop

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , Jim Brett
writes
[...]

Oh David. That's naughty and not as harsh as it should have been.

Jim Brett

All im actually saying is theres no need for swearing and insults and
the childish behavour. If everyone in the world took this attitude we
would get
nowhere.

I have admitted it was a mistake to post and have apologised.
I would like to see any true "spammer" do the same?
BigWallop

"Jim Brett" wrote in message
om...
All im actually saying is theres no need for swearing and insults and
the childish behavour. If everyone in the world took this attitude we
would get
nowhere.

I have admitted it was a mistake to post and have apologised.
I would like to see any true "spammer" do the same?

If your market research had gone to plan, you do have a marketing plan don't
you, you would have noticed that the group is for people helping other
people with a job they would like to tackle themselves. Hence the title
having DIY in it.

Now, if you have some expertise which you can share with others, then you
are welcome to contribute to the groups activities, but not to tell them
you'll come round and do the job for them at a price. The point of the
group is to pass on tips and hints on what to and not to do while tackling a
specific personal project.

BigWallop

wrote in message
In uk.d-i-y, Jim Brett wrote:

[...]

Unless you have expertise in other fields of DIY which you can share with
others in the group.

(Sorry Stefek, just thought I'd add that little bit on the end and save
typing it all out again and ruining such a perfect literary composition)
:-))

BigWallop

"jerrybuilt" ] wrote in message
.. .
Jim Brett wrote:
[...]

Excuse me, but the signature at the bottom of many posters replies, is there
whether they post to the group or to anywhere else for that matter. It is
not a blatant use of free advertising, it is just stuck at the bottom of all
the postings we send out to the world.

dave @ stejonda

In message , BigWallop
writes
Oh David. That's naughty and not as harsh as it should have been.

Sorry, I'm not very good at this DIY lark!

(but I'm trying (as many people will confirm))

--
dave @ stejonda
Witchy

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 14:38:56 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

I thought part of the raison d'etre of spammers was specifically to
collect valid email addresses to sell onto other spammers.....

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

How d'you like your SPAM. You can 'ave Spam with chips. You can 'ave your
spam with spam, or you can 'ave it wiff even more chips. :-))

*resists monty python urge*

SPAM is normally defined as unsolicited advertising e-mail which is created
to gain the sender profits from selling wares or services for personal gain.
The law now states that such e-mail must only be sent to persons who have
asked for such mailings to be sent to there personal e-mail service for
their perusal.

That's why most software is packaged with the option to "Opt In" to the
makers offer of sending you information of other products which might be of
interest to.

I know, but that's like a raindrop in the ocean compared to the other
ways people harvest email addresses, the worst offenders being the
sites who insist you register to use their service using a valid email
address and e-card 'services', and sites that have a 'hey I found this
page interesting option so I want to send it to' feature.

"we promise we won't use your email address for anything other than a
login but we also promise to change our privacy policy overnight"

And you wouldn't believe how many machines I've worked on for people
that have GATOR installed....grrrr....'oh this option box popped up
asking if I wanted to install something so I said yes'

sassenfrassenrassenrickrastardly

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
Grimly Curmudgeon

**** off, you ****stirring ******.
--

Dave
Grunff

] wrote:

If this dong *has* sent anything such as you suggest, you
are quite within your rights to complain to *his* ISP or
employer, and I would

**** off, you ****stirring ******.

Lol - is he still around? Made it into my killfile a looong time
ago.

--
Grunff

geoff

In message , Jim Brett
writes
All im actually saying is theres no need for swearing and insults and
the childish behavour. If everyone in the world took this attitude we
would get
nowhere.

I have admitted it was a mistake to post and have apologised.
I would like to see any true "spammer" do the same?

No, we get a useful newsgroup with out commercial advertising
--
geoff
BigWallop

wrote:

[...]

Aaaahhhh !!! Just read the word GATOR and it still sends a shudder up my
spine. I was once asked to register for one of the site you mean, but the
photo's they sent to my e-mail address were nothing spectacular. I've seen
better. Or am I thinking of the wrong type of web site ? :-))

BigWallop

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , BigWallop
writes
Oh David. That's naughty and not as harsh as it should have been.

Sorry, I'm not very good at this DIY lark!

(but I'm trying (as many people will confirm))

--
dave @ stejonda

LOL !!!

I've been told I'm trying, very trying.

Witchy

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 23:31:34 GMT, "BigWallop"
wrote:

And you wouldn't believe how many machines I've worked on for people
that have GATOR installed....grrrr....'oh this option box popped up
asking if I wanted to install something so I said yes'

sassenfrassenrassenrickrastardly

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Aaaahhhh !!! Just read the word GATOR and it still sends a shudder up my
spine. I was once asked to register for one of the site you mean, but the
photo's they sent to my e-mail address were nothing spectacular. I've seen
better. Or am I thinking of the wrong type of web site ? :-))

I can't imagine gator sex being much to look at!

--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Witchy wrote:
I can't imagine gator sex being much to look at!

Dunno. I'd guess a love bite would be something else.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Gnube

Gnube

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 10:35:10 +0100, Witchy
wrote:

I can't imagine gator sex being much to look at!

I expect you'd have to give it a "whirl" to find the attraction! Most
gators seem to like it just fine ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}

Gnube

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 16:32:45 +0100, Dave Plowman
wrote:

Dunno. I'd guess a love bite would be something else.

LOL! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
geoff

In message , Gnube
writes

Sorry, that was too deep for me
--
geoff
Gnube

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 01:04:06 +0100, geoff wrote:

Yeah, I've killfiled him

I totally agree with you, we might have our little flames from time to
time, but we all pull together

Thanks, & BTW, as long as you're here, d'you want to buy an upright
piano kit Mister? Easy to assemble guv, honest! ;O)

Take Care,
Gnube
{too thick for linux}
Witchy

wrote:

I can't imagine gator sex being much to look at!

I expect you'd have to give it a "whirl" to find the attraction! Most
gators seem to like it just fine ;O)

I'm feeling generous today so I'll let you have a go first!
--
cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs