Braun electric shaver cleaning fluid

Old March 1st 09, 05:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Braun electric shaver cleaning fluid

Any idea whether it's possible to make your own fluid for the "Clean and
Renew" system of a Braun 390cc shaver?

The official stuff is quite expensive - in fact I've just been cleaning
the razor with the supplied brush - which seems OK.

Would ordinary meths do?
Or what?
--
Chris
Old March 1st 09, 07:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Any idea whether it's possible to make your own fluid for the "Clean and
Renew" system of a Braun 390cc shaver?

The official stuff is quite expensive - in fact I've just been cleaning
the razor with the supplied brush - which seems OK.

Would ordinary meths do?
Or what?
--
Chris

Hot soapy water will do. Just remember to dry it off for a while.

Old March 1st 09, 08:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Clive
writes
"Chris" ] wrote in message
]...
Any idea whether it's possible to make your own fluid for the "Clean and
Renew" system of a Braun 390cc shaver?
The official stuff is quite expensive - in fact I've just been cleaning
the razor with the supplied brush - which seems OK.
Would ordinary meths do?
Or what?

Hot soapy water will do. Just remember to dry it off for a while.

Do you take off the foil; then use the soapy water with the brush; then
let it all dry; then replace the foil?
--
Chris
Old March 1st 09, 08:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Owain
writes
Chris wrote:
Any idea whether it's possible to make your own fluid for the "Clean
and Renew" system of a Braun 390cc shaver?
Would ordinary meths do?

I tried googling for a MSDS for the Braun cleaning fluid, and couldn't
find one, but this page suggests it's basically denatured alcohol with
a bit of citrus oil or citrus perfume
http://yashwata.info/2008/03/14/how-...ic-cleaning-ca
rtridges/

Thanks. In UK is denatured alcohol the same as methylated spirits?
--
Chris
Old March 2nd 09, 09:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ], Chris ] wrote:
In article , Owain
writes
Chris wrote:
Any idea whether it's possible to make your own fluid for the "Clean
and Renew" system of a Braun 390cc shaver?
Would ordinary meths do?

I tried googling for a MSDS for the Braun cleaning fluid, and couldn't
find one, but this page suggests it's basically denatured alcohol with
a bit of citrus oil or citrus perfume
http://yashwata.info/2008/03/14/how-...ic-cleaning-ca
rtridges/

Thanks. In UK is denatured alcohol the same as methylated spirits?

Alcohol without the nature of being drinkable... Which is indeed
meths, (usually ethanol + methanol) however meths we buy here will most
likely have a purple dye in it - whether this is an issue or not when
cleaning a shaver is up to someone else to find out ... I don't electric
shave. (Nasty horrible noisy things!)

Gordon
Old March 2nd 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris ] wrote:

Thanks. In UK is denatured alcohol the same as methylated spirits?

Methylated spirits is one denatured alcohol. Surgical spirit is another.
Each has methanol added in various proportions in an attempt to render
the alcohol undrinkable. It can then be sold free of alcohol duty. Both
have other additives, in the case of methylated spirit pyridine and
petroleum spirit are added and some formulations include an emetic.
Surgical spirit has a lower proporation of methanol but has castor oil
and methyl salicylate added. Methyl salicylate gives surgical spirit its
characteristic smell.

Both meths and surgical spirit are poor choices for cleaning because
both tend to leave a residue on the object being cleaned. Isopropanol
can be bought without additives and it's an excellent cleaning solvent.
Where "meths" is required for cleaning in laboratories the solvent used
is "60/40 IMS" that's industrial methylated spirit which only containes
methanol and ethanol with a small proportion of water.

Old March 2nd 09, 09:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris ] wrote:

The official stuff is quite expensive - in fact I've just been cleaning
the razor with the supplied brush - which seems OK.

Would ordinary meths do?

IMO for this use you would probably be better off using surgical spirit
or isopropanol.