Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PVCu french door - 2 handles

Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.
Midlands/Coventry area.

Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.
Midlands/Coventry area.

Thanks,
Simon.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/46603/...-1790-x-2090mm

No image yet but might be worth checking out
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 09:54, sm_jamieson wrote:
Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.
Midlands/Coventry area.

Thanks,
Simon.

Is there a specific requirement for two handles or just to be able to
keep one door locked? My french windows have two doors but only one
handle. The non-handled door locks via a lever on the edge of the
door.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 01:54:02 -0800 (PST), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.
Midlands/Coventry area.

I used Needhams, based in Loughborough, a year ago. Handles on each
leaf, identical locks, lots of keys, £860 fitted. The job was done
earlier than promised and there was no problem getting them to come
back when one of the doors had settled after several months and needed
more adjustment than I knew how to do. Sign, in Leicester, quoted
£1,300 for the same job.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
wrote:

Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.
Midlands/Coventry area.

I used Needhams, based in Loughborough, a year ago. Handles on each
leaf, identical locks, lots of keys, £860 fitted. The job was done
earlier than promised and there was no problem getting them to come
back when one of the doors had settled after several months and needed
more adjustment than I knew how to do. Sign, in Leicester, quoted
£1,300 for the same job.

I would think that any manufacturer would adapt their normal configuration.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:

Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.

B+Q. £199 for a 1200mm wide pair.
Pretty good IMO.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 12:06, "
wrote:
On 25 Feb, 09:54, sm_jamieson wrote:

Any recommend a good and reasonably cheap manufacturer of PVCu french
doors ?
They need to have 2 handles - some off-the-shelf doors like Wickes
only have 1 handle, but I need to be able to keep one door shut /
locked at times and only use as a single door.
Midlands/Coventry area.

Thanks,
Simon.

Is there a specific requirement for two handles or just to be able to
keep one door locked? My french windows have two doors but only one
handle. The non-handled door locks via a lever on the edge of the
door.

Andrew

Actually one handle would be better. Stop people going for the wrong
"master" door when using as
a single. I wonder if all the single handle doors have that.
What is the lever like ? Very small and fiddly ? I have in mind those
office doors with a little springy catch
that tries to have your finger for breakfast !
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25 Feb, 18:03, wrote:
On 25 Feb, 12:06, "

Is there a specific requirement for two handles or just to be able to
keep one door locked? My french windows have two doors but only one
handle. The non-handled door locks via a lever on the edge of the
door.

Andrew

Actually one handle would be better. Stop people going for the wrong
"master" door when using as
a single. I wonder if all the single handle doors have that.
What is the lever like ? Very small and fiddly ? I have in mind those
office doors with a little springy catch
that tries to have your finger for breakfast !
Simon.

Difficult to describe really. It is on the edge of the door so hidden
when the other door is closed. It is about 6 inches long and slightly
springy so that it pulls out slightly from the flush position. It is
then rotated 180degrees about the bottom (and in the plane of the door
edge) to unlock the door. Not particularly fiddly to use although it
does require bending down to reach.

Does that describe it well enough? Can email some photos if it will
help.

Andrew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Feb, 13:24, "
wrote:
On 25 Feb, 18:03, wrote:

On 25 Feb, 12:06, "
[...]

Well photo would be interesting if you have time.
Simon.