Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to seal new plastic soil stack to old cast iron stack

having installed a gf wc, I'm fitting a new plastic soil stack.
The old cast iron stack terminates about 2 foot below ground level, so
rather than do it proproperly, and dig out, which could be one hell of
a job, i've decided to leave a stub of 6" cast iron pipe protruding
above gl. and join the plastic pipe to it.

The plastic sleeve is slightly larger diameter, and-fits snugly over
the outside of the cast-iron, There is a 1mm gap to make watertight.
Since the cast iron from below ground terminates on the inside, there
is a lip, which is liable to catch any falling waste.

What is the best way to seal this junction which won't be accessible
again for 50 years , and taper out the lip? What sticks to plastic?
Thoughts:
Putty mixed with gloss paint; Silicone sealant; grease; Plastic
solvent glue, soft rubber fitting with circlips, other?

Brill group!

Thanks,
Tony
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tonyjeffs" wrote in message
[...]

Couple of suitable O rings and plenty of Silicon Mastic.
Flaunch the base properly with cement

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
tonyjeffs wrote:
having installed a gf wc, I'm fitting a new plastic soil stack.
The old cast iron stack terminates about 2 foot below ground level, so
rather than do it proproperly, and dig out, which could be one hell of
a job, i've decided to leave a stub of 6" cast iron pipe protruding
above gl. and join the plastic pipe to it.

Go to a decent plumber's merchant and buy the correct coupler for this job.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tonyjeffs wrote:
[...]

If you are really sure you'll never want to get them apart again you could
use Isopon or some other similar car body filler from Halfords. Several
years ago I had to fit a plastic inspection point to a broken earthenware
soil pipe. I used Isopon to build up the break to a level surface, and then
more Isopon to fit the plastic to it. Seems to be ok with no leaks.

--
Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb, 10:39, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *tonyjeffs wrote:

having installed a gf wc, I'm fitting a new plastic soil stack.
The old cast iron stack terminates about 2 foot below ground level, so
rather than do it proproperly, and dig out, which could be one hell of
a job, i've decided to leave a stub of 6" cast iron pipe protruding
above gl. and join the plastic pipe to it.

Go to a decent plumber's merchant and buy the correct coupler for this job.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity -- I'm a carrier

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I second this
It is pointless botching a joint that is not failsafe ie with the
plastic inside rather than out
Chris

Replacing cast iron soil stack [email protected] UK diy 6 June 19th 07 02:10 PM
Cast Iron Soil Stack replacement slindsey3000 Home Repair 4 June 4th 07 06:13 PM
Replacing Cast Iron Soil Stack. (pictures included) Help me please! slindsey3000 Home Repair 2 June 4th 07 04:05 AM
cast iron soil stack firefox UK diy 15 May 13th 06 01:38 AM
Cast Iron Soil Stack Ed UK diy 8 November 18th 04 10:39 PM