Joe Woods

Default Trouble finding replacement internal door lock

Hello,

I recently decided to replace a lock in an internal door, so I could use the
lock again (the current one has no keys!)

I popped the lock out of the door and went down to B&Q + Homebase to try and
find a replacement. However, all the ones I saw, and also the websites I've
looked at that sell locks don't seem to sell this type. Most the ones for
sale are very narrow, and have the handle on top, and lock below. The one I
need is a very long lock with the lock on the left, and handle to the right.

I've put some photos of it he http://photos.yahoo.com/jwoods81

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

-
Joe Woods

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Joe Woods" writes:
Hello,

I recently decided to replace a lock in an internal door, so I could use the
lock again (the current one has no keys!)

I popped the lock out of the door and went down to B&Q + Homebase to try and
find a replacement. However, all the ones I saw, and also the websites I've
looked at that sell locks don't seem to sell this type. Most the ones for
sale are very narrow, and have the handle on top, and lock below. The one I
need is a very long lock with the lock on the left, and handle to the right.

I've put some photos of it he http://photos.yahoo.com/jwoods81

Anyone got any ideas?

Try a locksmith? ;-)

They could probably make up a key to fit the existing lock,
if it's not too worn out.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Nick Finnigan

"Joe Woods" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently decided to replace a lock in an internal door, so I could use the
lock again (the current one has no keys!)

I've put some photos of it he http://photos.yahoo.com/jwoods81

Anyone got any ideas?

It might be as easy to get a key made up as to find
a lock the right size with matching holes.

BigWallop

"Joe Woods" wrote in message
Hello,

I recently decided to replace a lock in an internal door, so I could use

the
lock again (the current one has no keys!)

I popped the lock out of the door and went down to B&Q + Homebase to try

and
find a replacement. However, all the ones I saw, and also the websites

I've
looked at that sell locks don't seem to sell this type. Most the ones for
sale are very narrow, and have the handle on top, and lock below. The one

need is a very long lock with the lock on the left, and handle to the

right.

I've put some photos of it he http://photos.yahoo.com/jwoods81

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

-
Joe Woods

You're looking for a Horizontal Mortice Sash Lock, which are still be quite
common, so a web search should give you a few hits.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Joe Woods

Thanks that's great, now I am getting somewhere!

I was considering getting a key made up, but the lock does seem a little old
and dirty and stiff, so getting a new lock with keys for £20-£30 would be a
good idea. I would imagine a locksmith would want about that amount for
dismantling and cleaning, and making up keys.

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Joe Woods" wrote in message
[...]

jerrybuilt

Joe Woods wrote:
I was considering getting a key made up, but the lock does
seem a little old and dirty and stiff, so getting a new lock with
keys for £20-£30 would be a good idea. I would imagine a
locksmith would want about that amount for dismantling and
cleaning, and making up keys.

You could overhaul it yourself very easily; a locksmith will
charge about L.7.50 for the first key, and about L.3.00 for
copies.

Note that this lock fits your door and furniture - another
will most likely not fit at all, so you may end up needing
a new door!

be !
Shop all amazing products and get our special offers!
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Joe Woods wrote:
I was considering getting a key made up, but the lock does seem a little
old and dirty and stiff, so getting a new lock with keys for £20-£30
would be a good idea. I would imagine a locksmith would want about that
amount for dismantling and cleaning, and making up keys.

The normal mortise lock fitted to an internal door is a simple affair and
easy to strip and clean. It's also simple for a locksmith to make a key
for - shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a new decent lock. And this
would have the benefit of not having to alter the door for a new lock,
especially if it matches others in the house.

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Michael Mcneil

"Dave Plowman" wrote in message

The normal mortise lock fitted to an internal door is a simple affair and
easy to strip and clean. It's also simple for a locksmith to make a key
for - shouldn't be anywhere near the cost of a new decent lock. And this
would have the benefit of not having to alter the door for a new lock,
especially if it matches others in the house.

Or if you have a similar lock on another door you can compare where the
tumblers need to go to get another key to fit it. I shouldn't think it
has more than two or three tumblers or whatever they are called. Most
likely there are only three or four different keys in the whole range.