Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Office type chair on a new carpet

Hi all,
I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
with five legs on small wheels.
I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do not
need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I
could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 17:14:37 -0000, "Mick Cant" wrote:

Hi all,
I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
with five legs on small wheels.
I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do not
need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I
could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,
Mick.

Not a very elegant solution I admit, but I have a similar situation and have
simply cut a circle of the same carpet, on which the chair sits. It's not
perfect, but after quite a long while and plenty of use, the indentations in the
normal carpet, are not *that* pronounced. I guess you could have it bound, if
you wanted a more polished look.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
| Hi all,
| I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
| room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
| with five legs on small wheels.
| I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do
not
| need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I
| could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
| I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,
| Mick.

I bought one of these from Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44881100 which is specifically
for the job. It's thick clear plastic and the chair glides over it easily.
The same from Staples will cost you about £40

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick Cant wrote:

wondered if there were any cup type caps I
could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.

B&Q do several. They'll reduce damage but not stop it. Search their site
for 'castor'. For example:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9370482&fh_view_ size=6&fh_start_index=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog0 1%2fen_GB&fh_search=castor&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refvie w=search&ts=1233692079765&isSearch=true

--
Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
Hi all,
I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
with five legs on small wheels.
I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do
not need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type
caps I could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,

There is quite a wide range of carpet protector mats available for use with
desks and that is what I would use.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Mick Cant wrote:
Hi all,
I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
with five legs on small wheels.
I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do not
need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I
could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,
Mick.

Totally by chance, I accidentally came across this page the other day.
Only just remembered. The 'fitted' nature seems more appropriate to a
chair than a standard 'loose' one.

http://www.brass-castor-shop.co.uk/Castor-Cups-with-a-difference.asp

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick Cant" writes:

Hi all,
I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
with five legs on small wheels.
I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do not
need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I
could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.

If you google for

castor carpet glides

you get a wide selection. Other folks have mentioned the
snap-fit type, but an alternative is to replace the castors
(assuming they're the type that pull out) with "rotatable
glides" (example at
http://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop_product.asp?dept=22,
near the end of the page). They work very well, and there's
no possiblity of losing one.

It's worth using one or the other: I had a lodger once who
spent ages at the desk in his room. He barely moved but by
the time he left there was a deep circular rut in the pile
of the carpet.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:12:26 +0000, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

you get a wide selection. Other folks have mentioned the
snap-fit type, but an alternative is to replace the castors
(assuming they're the type that pull out) with "rotatable
glides" (example at
http://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop_product.asp?dept=22,
near the end of the page). They work very well, and there's
no possiblity of losing one.

I like the 'sets of 4' - almost all chairs nowadays have 5 wheels!
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
| Hi all,
| I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
| room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I
have
| with five legs on small wheels.
| I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do
not
| need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps
| could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
| I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,
| Mick.

I bought one of these from Ikea
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/44881100 which is specifically
for the job. It's thick clear plastic and the chair glides over it
easily.
The same from Staples will cost you about £40

I have a similar thing on a timber floor. I was surprised how much damage
the wheels on an office chair did to a timber floor.

Kevin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC writes:

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:12:26 +0000, Jon Fairbairn wrote:
an alternative is to replace the castors
(assuming they're the type that pull out) with "rotatable
glides" (example at
http://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop_product.asp?dept=22,
near the end of the page). They work very well, and there's
no possiblity of losing one.

I like the 'sets of 4' - almost all chairs nowadays have 5 wheels!

Ouch! I didn't notice that (I was just looking for a site
with a picture). Wherever I got mine supplied me with a set
of five.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jon Fairbairn" wrote in message
PeterC writes:
I like the 'sets of 4' - almost all chairs nowadays have 5 wheels!

Ouch! I didn't notice that (I was just looking for a site
with a picture). Wherever I got mine supplied me with a set
of five.

Hi all, I have emailed one manafacturer to ask if I can buy a set of five.
I will post again when I get an answer,
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Rod" wrote:

Totally by chance, I accidentally came across this page the other day.
Only just remembered. The 'fitted' nature seems more appropriate to a
chair than a standard 'loose' one.

http://www.brass-castor-shop.co.uk/Castor-Cups-with-a-difference.asp

One problem with those is they only distribute to load over what is a
small additional area. They will still cause most carpets to develop
crushed pile which, with an office chair, will eventually form a compete
circle. I've used them with other furniture and they still mark but
less obtrusively than the castors they house.

What I've done is to use a replaceable cord runner carpet under the
chair and have a wooden board under that to spread the castors' point
load over the main carpet area. It's worked for me for the last few
years, compared to the dents caused by other furniture - and it doesn't
look too bad either, defining the "office" :-) Much better than those
large, interlocking rubber "tiles" sold for the purpose.

--
John W
To mail me replace the obvious with co.uk twice
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2009-02-04, PeterC wrote:
On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:12:26 +0000, Jon Fairbairn wrote:

you get a wide selection. Other folks have mentioned the
snap-fit type, but an alternative is to replace the castors
(assuming they're the type that pull out) with "rotatable
glides" (example at
http://www.jamiltonupholstery.co.uk/shop_product.asp?dept=22,
near the end of the page). They work very well, and there's
no possiblity of losing one.

I like the 'sets of 4' - almost all chairs nowadays have 5 wheels!

Not almost. All of them. It's the law.

Precisely, but I do have an old 4 here - given away at work when the law
came in.
--
Peter.
It's not rocket science, you know.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 3, 5:14 pm, "Mick Cant" wrote:
Hi all,
I have just had a new hopefully hard wearing carpet in my living
room, but just realised that the very comfortable office type chair I have
with five legs on small wheels.
I remember seeing the damage these wheels can do on carpet, and as I do not
need to keep wheeling it around wondered if there were any cup type caps I
could put under the wheels to stop any carpet damage.
I hope this makes sense and someone can suggest something,
Mick.

Do what I did - lay a few peices of laminate floor to form a 4 ft
square over the area where the chair will be used. protects the
carpet and the chair will be easier to move around than it would on a
carpet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:

I have a similar thing on a timber floor. I was surprised how much damage
the wheels on an office chair did to a timber floor.

I have a replacement set of wheels designed for timber and laminate
floors. They have a slightly softer outer rim (but not so soft that it
picks up grit to dig into the floor).

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick Cant" wrote in message
om...

Hi all, I have emailed one manafacturer to ask if I can buy a set of five.
I will post again when I get an answer,

Mick.
Hi all, I contacted,

J A Milton Upholstery Supplies Ltd,

to ask if I could buy a set of five, they sent a letter back saying they
came in sets of four.

From other suggestions I will make a square from spare carpet.

Thanks everybody,

Mick.