Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wallpaper coming unstuck

About two years ago, I repapered a room in my house with a textured
paper intending to paint it. For various reasons, I didn't paint it
until 6 months later. The paper has now started to come away from the
wall in various places, mostly either side of a few joins on walls and
ceiling.
I've tried working a pva glue behind the paper on either side of the
joins, but the paper is so stiff from being painted it will not stick
back to the plaster.
Can anyone suggest a way of sticking the paper back?
Also, where the paper is loose away from the joins, I was wondering if
I could use something like a hyperdermic needle to squirt glue behind
it?
Any ideas anyone?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 22:01, SilverWrinkly wrote:
About two years ago, I repapered a room in my house with a textured
paper intending to paint it. *For various reasons, I didn't paint it
until 6 months later. *The paper has now started to come away from the
wall in various places, mostly either side of a few joins on walls and
ceiling.
I've tried working a pva glue behind the paper on either side of the
joins, but the paper is so stiff from being painted it will not stick
back to the plaster.
Can anyone suggest a way of sticking the paper back?
Also, where the paper is loose away from the joins, I was wondering if
I could use something like a hyperdermic needle to squirt glue behind
it?
Any ideas anyone?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks

Dampen the lifted paper so that it softens before applying the
adhesive. Also, I keep several hypos
just for such jobs. Sharps are ideal for getting into bubbles in paper.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Feb, 22:01, SilverWrinkly wrote:
About two years ago, I repapered a room in my house with a textured
paper intending to paint it. *For various reasons, I didn't paint it
until 6 months later. *The paper has now started to come away from the
wall in various places, mostly either side of a few joins on walls and
ceiling.
I've tried working a pva glue behind the paper on either side of the
joins, but the paper is so stiff from being painted it will not stick
back to the plaster.
Can anyone suggest a way of sticking the paper back?
Also, where the paper is loose away from the joins, I was wondering if
I could use something like a hyperdermic needle to squirt glue behind
it?
Any ideas anyone?

I'll be grateful for any suggestions.
Thanks

I've had the same problem with the joins in vinyl painted textured
paper on bathroom ceiling. Latest attempt looks succesful so far. I
used Homebase 'border and repair adhesive' - the wallpaper stuff
intended to stick overlapping borders, and to get vinyl borders to
stick to vinyl wallpapers (don't know if it's just millionaires pva,
but it claims to be 'specially formulated'). For seam repairs, I use a
blunt rounded blade to prise up, and even extend, the loose edge, then
paste underneath using a small, flat, stiff-bristled, artist's brush,
then press/smooth down, and roll the joint (sic!) with a seam roller
(not to be confused with a steamroller, though that might work
better). Do both sides of join if necessary, though if one side is
only slightly raised enough adhesive might seep under when you use the
seam roller. Check over the next couple of hours - you might have to
use the seam roller again as the glue dries out and gets stickier.
(However, stuff will get on the surface or seep out when you roll it,
and, unless you can wipe it all off, it leaves a sheen. That's
noticeable at certain light angles on matt vinyl, but might not be a
problem on sheen or gloss vinyl paint).

Toom