Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

Hi

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

Best regards
zzapper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

zzapper wrote:

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

1. Pull string A

2. Pull string B

3. Pull somewhere at random in the middle.

4. Give up and cut the top off.

Or at least that's what I usually end up doing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave A" wrote in message
zzapper wrote:

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

1. Pull string A

2. Pull string B

3. Pull somewhere at random in the middle.

4. Give up and cut the top off.

Or at least that's what I usually end up doing.

LOL!!

I thought I had the ownership of that method!!

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 3, 6:04*pm, "John" wrote:
"Dave A" wrote in message

zzapper wrote:

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

1. Pull string A

2. Pull string B

3. Pull somewhere at random in the middle.

4. Give up and cut the top off.

Or at least that's what I usually end up doing.

LOL!!

I thought I had the ownership of that method!!

John

LOL
I've managed it once by accident, it's so cool when it works
zzapper
http://www.squidoo.com/creatingideas Just How do you Create More
Ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"zzapper" wrote in message
Hi

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

If your refering to the same kind of seaming that used to be on those bags
of coal
from a chandlers (old fashioned I am).....me dad could do it.
He just did this and then he did that and then he
would pull it all out with a cool prrrrrrrrrr sound.

He never taught me how to do it.

I feel like a failure!

Arthur

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

zzapper wrote:
Hi

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

Best regards
zzapper

You took me back over forty years in a single phrase!

Anyone else remember Ripcord the series? With Larry Pennell as Ted
McKeever and Ken Curtis as Jim Buckley.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
zzapper writes
Hi

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

On the off chance that this is serious....:-)

And in agricultural terminology.... you ideally need to know which end
is which. Many 25 and 50kg feed or seed bags are closed by this system
and repetitive failures eventually teach that the position of the bag
logo or stitched in label is a reliable indication.

Cut the surplus *overstitch* off close to the bag. You will then have
two threads, one of which will unzip when pulled.

Unfortunately there are several different versions of stitchers: having
two or more threads.

The advent of cheap plastic sacks reduced the problem as a knife nick
into the side along the stitching line allows a bit of brute force to
tear off the bag top. Just like toilet paper!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 3 Feb 2009 23:13:32 -0000, "Arthur2"
wrote:

I feel like a failure!

I "open" one or two sacks a month. over the past two years I've
managed to do it right twice. I forget how. It's REALLY annoying!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message
,
zzapper writes

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

On the off chance that this is serious....:-)

And in agricultural terminology.... you ideally need to know which end
is which. Many 25 and 50kg feed or seed bags are closed by this system
and repetitive failures eventually teach that the position of the bag
logo or stitched in label is a reliable indication.

Cut the surplus *overstitch* off close to the bag. You will then have
two threads, one of which will unzip when pulled.

On the bags I am familar with, there is only one thread making the
seal. If you have two threads, then one of them is a dead end. I
usually find that I have to unthread through the loops once, and then
I can just pull. If that isn't working, I go to the other end.

Often the right end has a sort of double thickness of thread where the
stitcher has gone back on itself.

It's very satisfying when you get it right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Bonner writes:
It's very satisfying when you get it right.

A bit like the plastic straps which you often see people fighting
with.

You can walk up in your super cool demineur, turn over the strap
at the join, peel apart and snap with no effort at all, and walk
off smugly...

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 4, 12:43*pm, Martin Bonner wrote:
On Feb 4, 9:31*am, Tim Lamb wrote:

In message
,
zzapper writes

[...]

Just managed it, I had as advised here to keep snipping away with
scissors at the spare thread AND the first 5 cms or so, and then it
peeled away. I think the first few cms may be extra stitched to stop
them ripping too easily!

zzapper
http://www.squidoo.com/creatingideas
Posted to uk.d-i-y

zzapper writes:

How Do I undo those Rip Cord Sack fastenings?

If you mean the sort with a single row of stitching on one side and
interlocking loops on the other, then:

- Start from the end where the `blunt' ends of the loops point.

- Cut off the excess `tail'.

- From the single row side (still at the same end), tease the end of
the string through the first hole (nearest the end), without
pulling any string through the second hole. This should leave a
single loop hanging loose on the other side.

- Hold the corner of the sack steady and pull string from the single
row side.

--
Mark