How much mortar

Old February 1st 09, 04:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How much mortar

Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks for
the base of a greenhouse.

Thanks

Kevin

Old February 1st 09, 05:12 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

How big are your bags of sand required?

Old February 1st 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

How big are your bags of sand required?

The normal Wickes size of from my local builders merchant. I can't see that
it will need many.

Old February 1st 09, 05:57 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
"R" wrote in message
"Zen83237" wrote in message
Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

How big are your bags of sand required?

The normal Wickes size of from my local builders merchant. I can't see that
it will need many.

I would have thought a barrow/mixer load would do that many bricks. That
usually works out at three bags of sand and half a cement...

--
Cheers,

John.

Old February 1st 09, 06:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

Thanks

Kevin

Try a google for "brick estimator|calculator" or "mortar calculator" or
similar - I've seen one somewhere on the web (pavingexpert?? - can't
remember) that let you reckon a section of wall into number of bricks and
amount of mortar.

Cheers

Tim
Old February 1st 09, 06:31 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Zen83237" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

How big are your bags of sand required?

The normal Wickes size of from my local builders merchant. I can't see
that it will need many.

Prolly 3 or 4 bags, plus a bag of OPC, add water, mix thoroughly to a nice
stiff creamy consistency, add to faces of brick, lay brick in a straight
line where you need it, repeat for another 79 bricks making courses as you
go to required height. Leave a small gap at the lowest points for water
escape when the garden hose stays on when you go watch TV.
Finish job.
Make a cuppa
Stand back and watch next doors cat pee all over them ;-)

Old February 1st 09, 07:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
[...]

I'd keep it OFF the faces if I were you - looks 'orrid !!!

AWEM

Old February 1st 09, 07:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
Zen83237 coughed up some electrons that declared:

Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80

bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

Thanks

Kevin

Try a google for "brick estimator|calculator" or "mortar calculator"

or
similar - I've seen one somewhere on the web (pavingexpert?? - can't
remember) that let you reckon a section of wall into number of

bricks and
amount of mortar.

Cheers

Tim

Paving Expert has one iirc

AWEM

Old February 1st 09, 07:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"R" wrote:
"Zen83237" wrote in message
.. .

"R" wrote in message

"Zen83237" wrote in message
Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80 bricks
for the base of a greenhouse.

How big are your bags of sand required?

The normal Wickes size of from my local builders merchant. I can't see
that it will need many.

Prolly 3 or 4 bags

Depends rather crucially on the bag size! Might only need one.

Old February 1st 09, 08:07 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Zen83237 wrote:
Very quick question. How many bags of sand will I need to lay 80
bricks for the base of a greenhouse.

Thanks

Kevin

three 25kg bags will be sufficient

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Using Mortar Greg Home Repair 6 February 5th 07 05:13 AM
Mortar dye 51 UK diy 24 December 4th 06 01:00 PM
mortar mix Andy Home Repair 2 May 17th 05 04:36 AM
Does Mortar Mix go bad with age? SpamFree Home Repair 7 November 3rd 04 03:13 AM
Mortar Mix BigWallop UK diy 12 July 5th 03 11:46 PM