Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gable end roof extension

I am planning to extend a 1960’s Gable ended Bungalow. The height to
the roof of the Bungalow is just over 4m at a 30 degree angle. Ideally
I would like to make the extension the same height elongating the
Bungalow but when researching Extensions most seem to drop a metre and
have a step in the roof height however this would reduce the ceiling
height.
So what are the problems of extending the existing Gable end roof at
the same height?
Any advice appreciated
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 02:22:09 -0800 (PST), a certain chimpanzee, BusaC
randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

I am planning to extend a 1960’s Gable ended Bungalow. The height to
the roof of the Bungalow is just over 4m at a 30 degree angle. Ideally
I would like to make the extension the same height elongating the
Bungalow but when researching Extensions most seem to drop a metre and
have a step in the roof height however this would reduce the ceiling
height.

So what are the problems of extending the existing Gable end roof at
the same height?

Often the reason extensions as you describe are lower is due to
planning constraints. To avoid terracing (if all houses were extended,
a row of semis would end up looking like a terrace), they ask for the
extensions to be set back, usually by a metre. This has the knock-on
effect of reducing the ridge height if you keep the roof pitches the
same.

It may sound obvious, but check with Planning as to what would be
acceptable.
--
Hugo Nebula
just how far from the pack have you strayed"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BusaC wrote:
I am planning to extend a 1960’s Gable ended Bungalow. The height to
the roof of the Bungalow is just over 4m at a 30 degree angle. Ideally
I would like to make the extension the same height elongating the
Bungalow but when researching Extensions most seem to drop a metre and
have a step in the roof height however this would reduce the ceiling
height.
So what are the problems of extending the existing Gable end roof at
the same height?

We had our house extended - it's a 2-storey L-shaped semi - by extending
the gable-ended end of the 'L'.. the roof line just continued on from
the old one, and since we used reclaimed tiles you can't even tell where
the new bit starts (except by looking at the length of next door's 'L'!

So other than what Hugo's already said at about local planning
constraints, I can't see any particular problem.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:26:45 +0000 Lobster wrote :
We had our house extended - it's a 2-storey L-shaped semi - by extending
the gable-ended end of the 'L'.. the roof line just continued on from
the old one, and since we used reclaimed tiles you can't even tell where
the new bit starts (except by looking at the length of next door's 'L'!

And if you're not able to do this, get the builder to move tiles from
the back slope to the front to save an obvious join

--
Tony Bryer, 'Software to build on' from Greentram
www.superbeam.co.uk www.superbeam.com www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 11:17, Hugo Nebula abuse@localhost wrote:
[...]

*"If no-one on the internet wants a piece of this,
*just how far from the pack have you strayed"?

Thanks for the information
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1 Feb, 11:13, Tony Bryer wrote:
On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:26:45 +0000 Lobster wrote :

We had our house extended - it's a 2-storey L-shaped semi - by extending
thegable-endedendof the 'L'.. theroofline just continued on from
the old one, and since we used reclaimed tiles you can't even tell where
the new bit starts (except by looking at the length of next door's 'L'!

And if you're not able to do this, get the builder to move tiles from
the back slope to the front to save an obvious join

--
Tony Bryer, *'Software to build on' from Greentramwww.superbeam.co.uk*www.superbeam.com*www.greentram.com

Great stuff
Thank you
Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 10:22, BusaC wrote:
I am planning to extend a 1960’sGableended Bungalow. The height to
theroofof the Bungalow is just over 4m at a 30 degree angle. Ideally
I would like to make theextensionthe same height elongating the
Bungalow but when researching Extensions most seem to drop a metre and
have a step in theroofheight however this would reduce the ceiling
height.
So what are the problems of extending the existingGableendroofat
the same height?
Any advice appreciated
Chris

Thank You to all who have replied.
Good infomation
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31 Jan, 11:26, Lobster wrote:
BusaC wrote:
[...]

Hi David
We are doing something similar hopefully ending with a T shape. Any
Tips on making the job go smoothly? We are just at the planning ideas
stage.
Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

BusaC wrote:
On 31 Jan, 11:26, Lobster wrote:
BusaC wrote:
[...]

TBH it would be "don't do it! move house instead" but that's just my
jaundiced view after a bad experience - I actually thought it would be
less aggro than moving home. But first and foremost don't use my
f****ing builder! He went bust while building my extension.

Other than that - hard to be specific really.. pick a builder you reckon
you can trust and get on with rather than going with the lowest quote;
agree terms and payments up front and definitely make sure your payments
don't get ahead of the value of the oustanding work; have a really
detailed specification of what work will be done to avoid
'misunderstandings' later on; if (or rather when) you deviate from the
agreed plan make sure you agree any budget implications in advance...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Feb, 15:05, Lobster wrote:
BusaC wrote:
On 31 Jan, 11:26, Lobster wrote:
BusaC wrote:
[...]

Good advice, I will do some thorough checking of any the builder and
take your advice on paperwork.
Many thanks
Chria