Cleaning an electric blanket

Old January 27th 09, 01:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning an electric blanket

Our cat got shut in accidentally & peed on our bed, just what you don't want
to find as you prepare to go to bed. :-(

The pee managed to soak through the duvet, the sheets, the matress cover &
the electric blanket.

To be honest, I can't smell much on the blanket but I *know* it's got cat
wee in it and I'd rather it didn't. It's not a washable blanket and I'm
wondering if there are any options other than binning it.

Would sponging and drying the affected area be safe or a recipe for
disaster?

Tim

Old January 27th 09, 06:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

http://askville.amazon.com/whats-cle...uestId=9181385

Old January 28th 09, 04:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Downie wrote:
Our cat got shut in accidentally & peed on our bed, just what you don't want
to find as you prepare to go to bed. :-(

The pee managed to soak through the duvet, the sheets, the matress cover &
the electric blanket.

To be honest, I can't smell much on the blanket but I *know* it's got cat
wee in it and I'd rather it didn't. It's not a washable blanket and I'm
wondering if there are any options other than binning it.

Would sponging and drying the affected area be safe or a recipe for
disaster?

Tim

I think thats one of those things thats just not worth it. With water
washing theres always a tiny risk of arcover from trapped water - very
tiny - if its done properly, I've done it for decades and not lost
anything yet, but its not zero. You cant let go of a live blanket.
Dont bother.

NT
Old January 28th 09, 12:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:54:44 -0000, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

Our cat got shut in accidentally & peed on our bed, just what you don't want
to find as you prepare to go to bed. :-(

The pee managed to soak through the duvet, the sheets, the matress cover &
the electric blanket.

To be honest, I can't smell much on the blanket but I *know* it's got cat
wee in it and I'd rather it didn't. It's not a washable blanket and I'm
wondering if there are any options other than binning it.

Would sponging and drying the affected area be safe or a recipe for
disaster?

Tim

Chuck it in the bin ya clatty monkey . FFS..How much does an elec
blanket cost .Better still dont buy a replacement .Do without or buy a
HWB and fill it from the hot tap .
And what about the rest of the stuff incl the mattress ...I'd be
chucking the lot out and that's from someone who had 3 cats at one
time . Cat's **** is the Devil's work..!!!!
Old January 28th 09, 02:49 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jan, 12:16, wrote:

Chuck it in the bin ya clatty monkey . FFS..How much does an elec
blanket cost .Better still dont buy a replacement .Do without or buy a
HWB and fill it from the hot tap .
And what about the rest of the stuff incl the mattress ...I'd be
chucking the lot out and that's from someone who had 3 cats at one
time . Cat's **** is the Devil's work..!!!!

A little bit a catty wee wee never did anyone any harm.
Old January 29th 09, 05:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Anita Palley" wrote in message
On 28 Jan, 12:16, wrote:

Chuck it in the bin ya clatty monkey . FFS..How much does an elec
blanket cost .Better still dont buy a replacement .Do without or buy a
HWB and fill it from the hot tap .
And what about the rest of the stuff incl the mattress ...I'd be
chucking the lot out and that's from someone who had 3 cats at one
time . Cat's **** is the Devil's work..!!!!

A little bit a catty wee wee never did anyone any harm.

Ugh.

You aren't the lady I dealt with on Freecycle are you? Her nickname was on
Freecycle Pussy Galore. I took an electric fire to her house (full of
expectations...) and when she opened the door the stench really hit me. She
had cats everywhere. I pushed the fire into her front door and made a quick
escape - the memories of the stench are with me months later.

Old February 1st 09, 06:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jan, 12:16, wrote:

Chuck it in the bin ya clatty monkey . FFS..How much does an elec
blanket cost .Better still dont buy a replacement .Do without or buy a
HWB and fill it from the hot tap .
And what about the rest of the stuff incl the mattress ...I'd be
chucking the lot out and that's from someone who had 3 cats at one
time . Cat's **** is the Devil's work..!!!!

A little bit a catty wee wee never did anyone any harm.

Ugh.

You aren't the lady I dealt with on Freecycle are you? Her nickname was on
Freecycle Pussy Galore. I took an electric fire to her house (full of
expectations...) and when she opened the door the stench really hit me. She
had cats everywhere. I pushed the fire into her front door and made a quick
escape - the memories of the stench are with me months later.

Freecycle deliveries .You are too much of a gentleman :-)