DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/269306-cfl-dusk-dawn-sensor.html)

mike[_7_] January 20th 09 10:09 AM

CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

dennis@home January 20th 09 03:59 PM

CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

"mike" wrote in message
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

Some D2D sensors are just light dependent resistors and they effectively
lower the voltage on the lamp when its bright.
This is a no no with CFL.

Better D2D sensors are proper switches.

You can spot the cheap nasty ones at dusk/dawn as the lamp dims and flickers
even with tungsten bulbs.

John Rumm January 20th 09 04:38 PM

CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with dusk-
to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

Some D2D sensors are designed to be fitted as if they were ordinary
light switches, and hence need to work without a neutral connection.
Most of these do that by drawing a very small current through the lamp.
You can't do that with a CFL lamp. The type you fitted does not have
this limitation.

--
Cheers,

John.

The Medway Handyman January 20th 09 06:06 PM

CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with
dusk- to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by using
it with a d2d?

I've got an exterior light outside with a 11w es lamp and a d2d sensor.
Been there 3 - 4 years, got it from Wickes.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

clot January 23rd 09 09:10 PM

CFL with Dusk-to-Dawn sensor

The Medway Handyman wrote:
mike wrote:
I've just fitted an exterior light with dusk-to-dawn sensor which
specifies an E27 11W ES lamp.

Bought E27 11W ES and then discovered it says not to be used with
dusk- to-dawn sensors.

Put lamp in anyway, and it works.

Why wouldn't it work and am I shortening the life of the lamp by
using it with a d2d?

I've got an exterior light outside with a 11w es lamp and a d2d
sensor. Been there 3 - 4 years, got it from Wickes.

Snap. It's not been a problem. I think that's been up 5years plus replacing
a similar fitting that had worked satisfactorily for possibly eight years
with only one lamp being replaced. Fitting was replaced due to sunlight
crazing the plastic lens.