Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eurolocks - when you have no keys ?

We're looking at a repossessed house at the moment, and while the main
external doors have all been changed* and are accessible via key,
there are patio doors for which there are no keys (eurolock profile).

* by some rough arsed b'stard who, it seems, jemmied the doors open
and cut chunks out of the front door to get to one of the upper
latches (breaking several metal locking plates in the process)

Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.

Failing that, how hard is it to drill the buggers, and do you aim for
anywhere in particular in the lock ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
We're looking at a repossessed house at the moment, and while the main
external doors have all been changed* and are accessible via key,
there are patio doors for which there are no keys (eurolock profile).

* by some rough arsed b'stard who, it seems, jemmied the doors open
and cut chunks out of the front door to get to one of the upper
latches (breaking several metal locking plates in the process)

Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.

Failing that, how hard is it to drill the buggers, and do you aim for
anywhere in particular in the lock ?

http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/foru....asp?TID=11526

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:

Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
we'd have access to both sides of the door(s)

Best have a google of this group. The least said about it the better.

Brrrr, bit of a cold Snap this weather ....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
we'd have access to both sides of the door(s)

Best have a google of this group. The least said about it the better.

Yeah, I know, don't give the buggers any more help !

The other post had reference to mul-t-locks but i'm not sure whether
their euro profile locks are any more secure than any other...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.trustedtradesmen.com/foru....asp?TID=11526

The entry for 24th Feb is getting surreal !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Colin Wilson wrote:

Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.

Google for "bump key". I've never needed to try one but it might work.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
et...
Colin Wilson wrote:

Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.

Google for "bump key". I've never needed to try one but it might work.

--
Mike Clarke

Depends the quality of the eurolocks. If cheap, you should be able to get
in in a few seconds. Common knowledge how to break into a eurolock door.

We were burgled in 2007, they came in through the rear french doors
(eurolock). I have replaced the locks with Mul-T-lock snapsafe ones and
sash jammers. Should make it a little more difficult.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Jan, 22:34, Colin Wilson
o.uk wrote:

The other post had reference to mul-t-locks but i'm not sure whether
their euro profile locks are any more secure than any other...

Mul-T-locks are more secure than most, but key duplication is
expensive and there have been past concerns about the things jamming
up so that no-one could open them. They're better for security than
Kaba though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Slider" wrote in message

| "Mike Clarke" wrote in message
| et...
| Colin Wilson wrote:
|
| Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
| we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
| something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
| plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.
|
| Google for "bump key". I've never needed to try one but it might work.
|
| --
| Mike Clarke
|
| Depends the quality of the eurolocks. If cheap, you should be able to get
| in in a few seconds. Common knowledge how to break into a eurolock door.
|
| We were burgled in 2007, they came in through the rear french doors
| (eurolock). I have replaced the locks with Mul-T-lock snapsafe ones and
| sash jammers. Should make it a little more difficult.

I was seriously considering changing to mul-t-locks but surfing for
suppliers I found this http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/mul-t-lock.html looks like
these are not immune either!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Angela" wrote in message
om...

"Slider" wrote in message

| "Mike Clarke" wrote in message
| et...
| Colin Wilson wrote:
|
| Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
| we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
| something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
| plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.
|
| Google for "bump key". I've never needed to try one but it might work.
|
| --
| Mike Clarke
|
| Depends the quality of the eurolocks. If cheap, you should be able to
get
| in in a few seconds. Common knowledge how to break into a eurolock
door.

| We were burgled in 2007, they came in through the rear french doors
| (eurolock). I have replaced the locks with Mul-T-lock snapsafe ones and
| sash jammers. Should make it a little more difficult.

I was seriously considering changing to mul-t-locks but surfing for
suppliers I found this http://www.ukbumpkeys.com/mul-t-lock.html looks
like
these are not immune either!

Thanks, didn't know this. Anyway, I still have the sash jammers on the
inside! :-)
Suppose if someone is going to break in bumping is not preferred method due
to the noise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Jan, 20:55, "Angela" wrote:
"Slider" wrote in message

| "Mike Clarke" wrote in message
net...
| Colin Wilson wrote:
|
| Are there any easy ways of replacing these without a locksmith ? -
| we'd have access to both sides of the door(s), so if there was
| something you could do from the internal side such as removing the
| plate around the handle / lock, it shouldn't be an issue.
|
| Google for "bump key". I've never needed to try one but it might work..
|
| --
| Mike Clarke
|
| Depends the quality of the eurolocks. *If cheap, you should be able to get
| in in a few seconds. *Common knowledge how to break into a eurolock door.
|
| We were burgled in 2007, they came in through the rear french doors
| (eurolock). *I have replaced the locks with Mul-T-lock snapsafe ones and
| sash jammers. *Should make it a little more difficult.

I was seriously considering changing to mul-t-locks but surfing for
suppliers I found thishttp://www.ukbumpkeys.com/mul-t-lock.htmllooks like
these are not immune either!

Evva 3ks are the best of the bunch I found after extensive research
online regarding bump and torque attack resistant euro locks:

http://www.evva.at/products/mechanis...echnologie/en/

Well made pieces of kit. Just make sure you order the correct quantity
of keys when you buy the lock. I don't think timpson can cut these
keys )

Jon

Eurolocks? The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 October 25th 08 10:45 PM
Table keys? Jim Dincau Metalworking 2 February 16th 06 07:55 PM
Use for allan keys Colin Jacobs Metalworking 9 April 3rd 05 05:01 PM
recycling old keys mogga UK diy 17 November 30th 04 09:21 AM
Identify these keys Stormin Mormon Home Repair 4 October 3rd 04 05:02 PM