Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap trolley jack broken

I have a collection of 4 cheap trolley jacks of various ages that I use
for jacking up things like ends of boat trailers and the occasional car.

All of them seem to have a similar small U-shaped clip that connects the
hydraulic plunger to the handle. My favourite jack, which probably came
from Lidl, has a swivelling handle which makes it really handy in
confined spaces. But its little clip has snapped.

Can anyone suggest a source of likely small clips? I've looked at
Halfords collection of little pre-packed oddities and been round several
stockists of cheap jacks without success.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
All of them seem to have a similar small U-shaped clip that connects the
hydraulic plunger to the handle. My favourite jack, which probably came
from Lidl, has a swivelling handle which makes it really handy in
confined spaces. But its little clip has snapped.

Can anyone suggest a source of likely small clips? I've looked at
Halfords collection of little pre-packed oddities and been round several
stockists of cheap jacks without success.

I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

Unfortunately assortments tend to be of only the one type but multiples of
each size, from the likes of Screwfix. Think even Maplin do them.

If you identify the type and measure what it fits someone might be able to
help with a couple since it's Xmas. ;-)

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:30:16 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Bill wrote:
All of them seem to have a similar small U-shaped clip that connects the
hydraulic plunger to the handle. My favourite jack, which probably came
from Lidl, has a swivelling handle which makes it really handy in
confined spaces. But its little clip has snapped.

Can anyone suggest a source of likely small clips? I've looked at
Halfords collection of little pre-packed oddities and been round several
stockists of cheap jacks without success.

I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

Unfortunately assortments tend to be of only the one type but multiples of
each size, from the likes of Screwfix. Think even Maplin do them.

If you identify the type and measure what it fits someone might be able to
help with a couple since it's Xmas. ;-)

A decent motor factor should have drawers and drawers of such things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

No, it's not a circlip. I've taken 2 fuzzy pics of the broken bits that
just about show where the clip is broken at one of the 90 degree bends.
The RH pic has the break at the top.

This may come out....

http://picasaweb.google.com/billaboard/Odds#

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

No, it's not a circlip. I've taken 2 fuzzy pics of the broken bits that
just about show where the clip is broken at one of the 90 degree bends.
The RH pic has the break at the top.

This may come out....

http://picasaweb.google.com/billaboard/Odds#

Sorry - that doesn't work here.

--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

No, it's not a circlip. I've taken 2 fuzzy pics of the broken bits that
just about show where the clip is broken at one of the 90 degree bends.
The RH pic has the break at the top.

This may come out....

http://picasaweb.google.com/billaboard/Odds#

Sorry - that doesn't work here.

Hmmm, it works here on the machine I'm signed in on and also another
unsigned in machine. It also works with the # removed from the end. I
thought I'd done this sort of thing before and it worked.

The pics are pretty bad, so they may not help anyway.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

No, it's not a circlip. I've taken 2 fuzzy pics of the broken bits that
just about show where the clip is broken at one of the 90 degree bends.
The RH pic has the break at the top.

This may come out....

http://picasaweb.google.com/billaboard/Odds#

Sorry - that doesn't work here.

Hmmm, it works here on the machine I'm signed in on and also another
unsigned in machine. It also works with the # removed from the end. I
thought I'd done this sort of thing before and it worked.

The pics are pretty bad, so they may not help anyway.

The pics are fuzzy as you say but even so I don't recognise that sort
of clip .Is it "exactly"the same on the other jacks? Your best bet is
somewhere that repairs/overhauls jacks .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
Sorry - that doesn't work here.

Hmmm, it works here on the machine I'm signed in on and also another
unsigned in machine. It also works with the # removed from the end. I
thought I'd done this sort of thing before and it worked.

It's more likely my browser.

The pics are pretty bad, so they may not help anyway.

Right. ;-)

But if it's not a standard clip your only real hope would be the makers or
distributors - and often they simply don't do spares at this sort of level.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
I'd guess it's some form of circlip. Can you identify it here?

http://www.springmasters.com/circlips.html

No, it's not a circlip. I've taken 2 fuzzy pics of the broken bits that
just about show where the clip is broken at one of the 90 degree bends.
The RH pic has the break at the top.

This may come out....

http://picasaweb.google.com/billaboard/Odds#

Sorry - that doesn't work here.

Hmmm, it works here on the machine I'm signed in on and also another
unsigned in machine. It also works with the # removed from the end. I
thought I'd done this sort of thing before and it worked.

The pics are pretty bad, so they may not help anyway.

Pretty certain that this is not a standard part. You will have to
improvise a solution- try string, sealing wax, or baler twine!!
Good Luck

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Bill wrote:
[...]

If it started life as a single piece it looks like a bit of box section with
a hole in buy a bit and drill a hole in it.
Nothing to lose and its not as if it is load bearing

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TMC
writes

Bill wrote:
[...]

Ahhh, Tony, why didn't I think of that?

I think it actually started out as a piece of Meccano-thickness steel
that was pressed from a sheet, bent and then presumably heat treated,
but starting from a piece of box section is the now blindingly obvious
way to make a replacement. Thanks.

All the jacks have a very similar clip, which is why I thought they
might use a standard, known part.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
If it started life as a single piece it looks like a bit of box section
with a hole in buy a bit and drill a hole in it. Nothing to lose and
its not as if it is load bearing

Tony

Ahhh, Tony, why didn't I think of that?

I think it actually started out as a piece of Meccano-thickness steel
that was pressed from a sheet, bent and then presumably heat treated,
but starting from a piece of box section is the now blindingly obvious
way to make a replacement. Thanks.

All the jacks have a very similar clip, which is why I thought they
might use a standard, known part.

But if it's a sort of circlip isn't it made out of some form of spring
steel?

--
*I pretend to work. - they pretend to pay me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
But if it's a sort of circlip isn't it made out of some form of spring
steel?

No, it only turned into a circlip in your first reply I just asked
about this "U-shaped clip"

It might actually need to be moderately springy to absorb the shocks
(and perhaps occasional verbal threats) when working against time, but I
suspect that if box section works at all, I'll cobble up enough spares.

I am grateful for all the replies. I just need to wait till my
mother-of-all-colds passes and I can get something done again.
--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill wrote:
But if it's a sort of circlip isn't it made out of some form of spring
steel?

No, it only turned into a circlip in your first reply I just asked
about this "U-shaped clip"

I dunno what you call a clip that fits into a circular groove other than a
circlip?

It might actually need to be moderately springy to absorb the shocks
(and perhaps occasional verbal threats) when working against time, but I
suspect that if box section works at all, I'll cobble up enough spares.

If it's not springy it won't stay in a groove for long - and I'd say mild
steel won't be springy enough.

I am grateful for all the replies. I just need to wait till my
mother-of-all-colds passes and I can get something done again.

Know what you mean - sniffle. But I've seen the sort of thing you're after
- it might just be a case of knowing the correct name to find a generic
one.

--
*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt