A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 14th 08, 10:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,325
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror, so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.
So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)
Thanks,
Simon.
Ads
  #2  
Old December 14th 08, 11:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,112
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)


"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
...
Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror,


Why not? because it is a "spider" with thin webs, so there isn't enough area
presented?

In my experience, glue repairs on car mirrors seldom work for long. You
might stand a better chance if you can take off the forward facing "fairing"
and apply epoxy from the back of the mirror to bond the glass to the holder
/ carrier. Or genuine Duck tape (which is stronger and more durable than the
cheap clones).

You may find perfectly adequate clone mirrors on eBay at about a third of
the main dealer price. This is what I did after repeated failed repairs on
an Astra.

so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.


Unfortunately that's true of most thermoplastics. Brittle probably just
implies it contains a lot of filler.

So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)
Thanks,
Simon.



  #3  
Old December 14th 08, 11:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,325
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

On 14 Dec, 23:08, "newshound" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

...

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror,


Why not? because it is a "spider" with thin webs, so there isn't enough area
presented?


Similar to that.
The foam pad occupies the middle say 80 percent of the mirror, but
the plastic it has to attach to is like a narrow frame around the edge
of the mirror. This "frame"
should clip over and around a central circular piece the is controlled
by the motor. The problem
is the clips are broken, so it needs to be glued. Also, the area the
mirror is to be stuck to is not
flat, but has various raised areas and nibs etc. These act to hold it
around 1mm from the rest of
the plastic. The foam would therefore have little contact area, which
leads me to think it should
be glued.


In my experience, glue repairs on car mirrors seldom work for long. You
might stand a better chance if you can take off the forward facing "fairing"
and apply epoxy from the back of the mirror to bond the glass to the holder
/ carrier. Or genuine Duck tape (which is stronger and more durable than the
cheap clones).

You may find perfectly adequate clone mirrors on eBay at about a third of
the main dealer price. This is what I did after repeated failed repairs on
an Astra.


Here, do you mean an entire door mirror unit, or just a mirror pre-
bonded to
the carrier ?

Thanks,
Simon.
  #4  
Old December 14th 08, 11:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,367
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

Having gone through a similar pattern, I agree with Newshound - buy a
complete new unit. One little linkage in my electric mirror was
damaged along with the glass breakage - after trying several
approaches to repair (and having not listened to good advice "replace
the whole unit") - I eventually replaced the whole thing.

Door mirrors getting damaged is a common occurence, and there's a well
established market of pattern parts if an original part from your
local dealer is too expensive.
  #5  
Old December 15th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,325
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

On 14 Dec, 23:51, " wrote:
Having gone through a similar pattern, I agree with Newshound - buy a
complete new unit. One little linkage in my electric mirror was
damaged along with the glass breakage - after trying several
approaches to repair (and having not listened to good advice "replace
the whole unit") - I eventually replaced the whole thing.

Door mirrors getting damaged is a common occurence, and there's a well
established market of pattern parts if an original part from your
local dealer is too expensive.


When you say "unit", do you mean the entire internal parts inside the
mirror "shell", or do you mean an entire mirror (including the colour
coded shell) ?
Simon.
  #6  
Old December 15th 08, 10:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 19,615
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror, so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.
So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)


That sort of thermo set plastic is near impossible to glue. You really
need a replacment complete with mounting frame if a clip is broken.

If the frame still fits the pivot something like Evostick Serious glue
would fix the mirror to it - as well as anything.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
  #7  
Old December 15th 08, 10:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,906
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 14 Dec, 23:51, " wrote:
Having gone through a similar pattern, I agree with Newshound - buy a
complete new unit. One little linkage in my electric mirror was
damaged along with the glass breakage - after trying several
approaches to repair (and having not listened to good advice "replace
the whole unit") - I eventually replaced the whole thing.

Door mirrors getting damaged is a common occurence, and there's a well
established market of pattern parts if an original part from your
local dealer is too expensive.


When you say "unit", do you mean the entire internal parts inside the
mirror "shell", or do you mean an entire mirror (including the colour
coded shell) ?
Simon.


IME impact adhesive sticks anything to anything, stays flexible, and is
waterproof. Uhu, Pound Shop?
I've repaired more mirrors that way than I care to remember. For years I
drove a van with sticky out wing mirrors in Inner London, so it was a
frequent occurrence.
  #8  
Old December 15th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,325
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

On 15 Dec, 10:13, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *sm_jamieson wrote:

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror, so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.
So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)


That sort of thermo set plastic is near impossible to glue. You really
need a replacment complete with mounting frame if a clip is broken.

If the frame still fits the pivot something like Evostick Serious glue
would fix the mirror to it - as well as anything.


I guess this should stick the plastic - looks like its made for it :-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46013

Simon.
  #9  
Old December 15th 08, 04:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,367
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)


When you say "unit", do you mean the entire internal parts inside the
mirror "shell", or do you mean an entire mirror (including the colour
coded shell) ?


Yes, I mean everything that hangs off the door. Generally spares are
available as mirror glass, or the complete thing. Obviously mirror
glass is quite a bit cheaper, but unless it's a straight in fit, I
wouldn't bother.

Colour coding on mirrors is a PITA. My VW van would have had them
originally, had a pair in black when I bought it - and I've since had
to replace one - the whole unit replacement consists of 2 electrical
connections and 4 screws.

They're hardly mega-money on ebay:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories


  #10  
Old December 15th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,146
Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

On 14 Dec, 22:24, sm_jamieson wrote:

1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)


"Mirror Mate", which comes from Screwfix for not very much and looks
like your typical DIY gooping mastic - except that it doesn't damage
the silvering on mirror backs.

If you want to see why this is important and you're near Chepstow,
then go into the furniture warehouse place near the river and look at
their posh and expensive "Venetian" mirrors, made of multiple bevelled
panes. Then stand back and look closely at the emerging figure-8
trails clearly etching their way through the back of each and every
pane. Someone made an expensive cock-up there!
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oval mirror - mirror leaning on tree.JPG (0/2) George Max Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 25th 07 11:36 PM
fixing mirror - mirror screws and bushes sm_jamieson UK diy 0 April 23rd 07 01:29 PM
Using mirror as a door [email protected] Woodworking 9 December 14th 06 06:01 PM
Gluing mirror to concrete outdoors RicodJour Home Repair 1 June 27th 05 01:51 AM
Gluing mirror to concrete outdoors HMFIC-1369 Woodworking 2 June 26th 05 01:47 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.