Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default gluing mirror to plastic (car door mirror)

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror, so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.
So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)
Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror,

Why not? because it is a "spider" with thin webs, so there isn't enough area
presented?

In my experience, glue repairs on car mirrors seldom work for long. You
might stand a better chance if you can take off the forward facing "fairing"
and apply epoxy from the back of the mirror to bond the glass to the holder
/ carrier. Or genuine Duck tape (which is stronger and more durable than the
cheap clones).

You may find perfectly adequate clone mirrors on eBay at about a third of
the main dealer price. This is what I did after repeated failed repairs on
an Astra.

so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.

Unfortunately that's true of most thermoplastics. Brittle probably just
implies it contains a lot of filler.

So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)
Thanks,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 23:08, "newshound" wrote:
"sm_jamieson" wrote in message

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror,

Why not? because it is a "spider" with thin webs, so there isn't enough area
presented?

Similar to that.
The foam pad occupies the middle say 80 percent of the mirror, but
the plastic it has to attach to is like a narrow frame around the edge
of the mirror. This "frame"
should clip over and around a central circular piece the is controlled
by the motor. The problem
is the clips are broken, so it needs to be glued. Also, the area the
mirror is to be stuck to is not
flat, but has various raised areas and nibs etc. These act to hold it
around 1mm from the rest of
the plastic. The foam would therefore have little contact area, which
leads me to think it should
be glued.

In my experience, glue repairs on car mirrors seldom work for long. You
might stand a better chance if you can take off the forward facing "fairing"
and apply epoxy from the back of the mirror to bond the glass to the holder
/ carrier. Or genuine Duck tape (which is stronger and more durable than the
cheap clones).

You may find perfectly adequate clone mirrors on eBay at about a third of
the main dealer price. This is what I did after repeated failed repairs on
an Astra.

Here, do you mean an entire door mirror unit, or just a mirror pre-
bonded to
the carrier ?

Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Having gone through a similar pattern, I agree with Newshound - buy a
complete new unit. One little linkage in my electric mirror was
damaged along with the glass breakage - after trying several
approaches to repair (and having not listened to good advice "replace
the whole unit") - I eventually replaced the whole thing.

Door mirrors getting damaged is a common occurence, and there's a well
established market of pattern parts if an original part from your
local dealer is too expensive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 23:51, " wrote:
Having gone through a similar pattern, I agree with Newshound - buy a
complete new unit. One little linkage in my electric mirror was
damaged along with the glass breakage - after trying several
approaches to repair (and having not listened to good advice "replace
the whole unit") - I eventually replaced the whole thing.

Door mirrors getting damaged is a common occurence, and there's a well
established market of pattern parts if an original part from your
local dealer is too expensive.

When you say "unit", do you mean the entire internal parts inside the
mirror "shell", or do you mean an entire mirror (including the colour
coded shell) ?
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
sm_jamieson wrote:
Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror, so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.
So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)

That sort of thermo set plastic is near impossible to glue. You really
need a replacment complete with mounting frame if a clip is broken.

If the frame still fits the pivot something like Evostick Serious glue
would fix the mirror to it - as well as anything.

--
*I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sm_jamieson wrote:
On 14 Dec, 23:51, " wrote:
Having gone through a similar pattern, I agree with Newshound - buy a
complete new unit. One little linkage in my electric mirror was
damaged along with the glass breakage - after trying several
approaches to repair (and having not listened to good advice "replace
the whole unit") - I eventually replaced the whole thing.

Door mirrors getting damaged is a common occurence, and there's a well
established market of pattern parts if an original part from your
local dealer is too expensive.

When you say "unit", do you mean the entire internal parts inside the
mirror "shell", or do you mean an entire mirror (including the colour
coded shell) ?
Simon.

IME impact adhesive sticks anything to anything, stays flexible, and is
waterproof. Uhu, Pound Shop?
I've repaired more mirrors that way than I care to remember. For years I
drove a van with sticky out wing mirrors in Inner London, so it was a
frequent occurrence.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Dec, 10:13, "Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article
,
* *sm_jamieson wrote:

Got replacement mirror glass for our Fiesta car door mirror. It can be
fixed with a sticky pad supplied or with glue. The sticky pad will not
work with the glass carrier used by this door mirror, so it has to be
glued. The plastic is the type of black brittle stuff that discolours
when you bend it.
So, I need to know the best glue to attach the following:
1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)
2. Plastic to plastic (to reattach the mirror carrier to the holder
which has broken clips)

That sort of thermo set plastic is near impossible to glue. You really
need a replacment complete with mounting frame if a clip is broken.

If the frame still fits the pivot something like Evostick Serious glue
would fix the mirror to it - as well as anything.

I guess this should stick the plastic - looks like its made for it :-
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46013

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you say "unit", do you mean the entire internal parts inside the
mirror "shell", or do you mean an entire mirror (including the colour
coded shell) ?

Yes, I mean everything that hangs off the door. Generally spares are
available as mirror glass, or the complete thing. Obviously mirror
glass is quite a bit cheaper, but unless it's a straight in fit, I
wouldn't bother.

Colour coding on mirrors is a PITA. My VW van would have had them
originally, had a pair in black when I bought it - and I've since had
to replace one - the whole unit replacement consists of 2 electrical
connections and 4 screws.

They're hardly mega-money on ebay:
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 Dec, 22:24, sm_jamieson wrote:

1. A mirror to plastic (the mirror silvered surface will be in contact
with the glue)

"Mirror Mate", which comes from Screwfix for not very much and looks
like your typical DIY gooping mastic - except that it doesn't damage
the silvering on mirror backs.

If you want to see why this is important and you're near Chepstow,
then go into the furniture warehouse place near the river and look at
their posh and expensive "Venetian" mirrors, made of multiple bevelled
panes. Then stand back and look closely at the emerging figure-8
trails clearly etching their way through the back of each and every
pane. Someone made an expensive cock-up there!