Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Neutral cure silicone sealant wind up?

Does anyone know a non-internet sourse of neutral cure silicone
sealant? In/near Glasgow? I asked in Thomas Graham and the man had
clearly never heard of such a thing.

The shower trap I am fitting says to put only neutral cure silicone
sealant between the flange and the shower base since acid ones can
attack the flange. The flange is chrome plated plastic so this sounds
like a wind up to me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Does anyone know a non-internet sourse of neutral cure silicone
sealant? In/near Glasgow? I asked in Thomas Graham and the man had
clearly never heard of such a thing.

The shower trap I am fitting says to put only neutral cure silicone
sealant between the flange and the shower base since acid ones can
attack the flange. The flange is chrome plated plastic so this

sounds
like a wind up to me.

It's possible - to plate the plastic they first make it conductive
with (usually) a graphite based powder, then plate a sequence of
metals before ending up with the chrome, so it is possible the
underlayers could be attacked. I would'nt loose sleep over it though!!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message

Does anyone know a non-internet sourse of neutral cure silicone
sealant? In/near Glasgow? I asked in Thomas Graham and the man had
clearly never heard of such a thing.

The shower trap I am fitting says to put only neutral cure silicone
sealant between the flange and the shower base since acid ones can
attack the flange. The flange is chrome plated plastic so this sounds
like a wind up to me.

No it's not a wind up neutral cure silicone has been on the market for
years.

Our local d-i-y store (North Shropshire) stocks a range of Bond It products
which I find OK,
Google for Bond-It.

If I remember rightly it was Dow Corning that first introduced it.
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The shower trap I am fitting says to put only neutral cure silicone
sealant between the flange and the shower base since acid ones can
attack the flange. The flange is chrome plated plastic so this sounds
like a wind up to me.

The chrome on chrome-plated plastic is incredibly easy to discolour with
acids. I cleaned the scale from a shower head using "Limelite" descaler
(another weak acid) a few years ago and removed some of the chrome and
changed the colour of the rest in streaks. So I'd avoid all contact with
acids, even descaler.

Neutral cure silicone is available easily. You can get it at Screfix for
£4.10 a cartridge.

If you are happy to use a white sealant, an alternative is Evostick Nail
and Seal MS-polymer sealant which is also neutral cure. That's available
in B&Q. Alternatively just use any MS-polymer sealant.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/s/SIRMSP/
http://tinyurl.com/6guvpb

Glasgow Screwfix
Houston Place
Kinning Park
Glasgow
G5 8SG

Opening Hours
Mon €“ Fri 7am €“ 8pm
Sat 8am - 6pm
Sun 10am - 4pm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Dec, 08:40, wrote:
Does anyone know a non-internet sourse of neutral cure silicone
sealant? In/near Glasgow? *I asked in Thomas Graham and the man had
clearly never heard of such a thing.

Toolstation and Screwfix will sell it (haven't checked, but they
will), or try a glaziers.

Acetoxy cure silicone gives off acetic acid as it cures, and you can
remove chrome plating with acid. I guess the quantities would lead to
blemishing rather than anything more drastic, but I think the
recommendation is fair enough (especially from the manufacturer's pov).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 5, 11:01*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
wrote:
[...]

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/vi...url.com/6guvpb

Glasgow Screwfix
Houston Place
Kinning Park
Glasgow
G5 8SG

Opening Hours
Mon – Fri 7am – 8pm
Sat 8am - 6pm
Sun 10am - 4pm

Many thanks for advice from all. Looks like I should take this
reasonably seriously. Will head out to Screwfix - they seem to stock
Dow-Corning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/vi...p://tinyurl.co....

Glasgow Screwfix
Houston Place
Kinning Park
Glasgow
G5 8SG

Opening Hours
Mon – Fri 7am – 8pm
Sat 8am - 6pm
Sun 10am - 4pm

Many thanks for advice from all. Looks like I should take this
reasonably seriously. Will head out to Screwfix - they seem to stock
Dow-Corning.

And Toolstation is in the next street along beside Leyland Paints if
SF don't have it

Neutral cure silcones are used in electronics as well because it wont
attack soldered joints.

Anyone else notice that Toolstation follows the Burger King model of
site fnding BK allegedly spends 0 on site finding preferrring to move
in beside MickeyDs who spend millions on site research. Not
complaining just commenting, and there is a nice unit right beside SF
Seafield edinburgh that would make one stop shopping so convenient.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adam Aglionby" wrote in message

Anyone else notice that Toolstation follows the Burger King model of
site fnding BK allegedly spends 0 on site finding preferrring to move
in beside MickeyDs who spend millions on site research. Not
complaining just commenting, and there is a nice unit right beside SF
Seafield edinburgh that would make one stop shopping so convenient.

My local toolstation is 2 miles away from screwfix so its not likely I would
notice.

Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Repair 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Silicone sealant vs silicone adhesive? Walter Cohen Home Ownership 8 October 31st 07 11:32 AM
Glazing tape or Neutral Cure Silicone - available in B&Q? butterfly UK diy 2 March 16th 07 09:02 PM
Silicone sealant Graeme UK diy 26 May 22nd 04 01:15 AM
Silicone Sealant Alex Bird UK diy 15 March 16th 04 01:10 PM