Car external temperature sensor location?

Old November 30th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car external temperature sensor location?

I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

Don

Old November 30th 08, 10:49 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote :
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

Under the front bumper is the usual place, though my manufacturers
built in one suggests the make some sort of compensation to the figure
displayed. What ever, it seems pretty accurate, with no variation even
when stood in traffic.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old November 30th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
k...
Donwill wrote :
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

Under the front bumper is the usual place, though my manufacturers built
in one suggests the make some sort of compensation to the figure
displayed. What ever, it seems pretty accurate, with no variation even
when stood in traffic.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Thanks for that Harry, unfortunately my front bumpers are blinking big black
plastic things which probably suck in solar radiation like sponges. Perhaps
I should cover them with aluminised polyester :-) .
Don

Old November 30th 08, 11:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Donwill popple @diddle .dot wrote:
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

A common place is just behind the front bumper in the wheel well protected
by the liner.

--
*Corduroy pillows are making headlines.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old November 30th 08, 11:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure
air temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from
direct sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be
exposed to engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

Don

I mounted the sensor of mine below the driver's mirror. Ran the cable
through the door under the hinge and under the footwellmat. Despite the
door being opened and closed around twice a day for 5 years, the cable never
failed. The sensor fell off once when the double-sided sticky tape failed,
but I stuck it back on with some silicone cement.

--
Jeff

Old November 30th 08, 11:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Donwill popple @diddle .dot wrote:
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

A common place is just behind the front bumper in the wheel well protected
by the liner.

Some Pugs have the sensor in the underside edge of the door mirror.

Bob
Old November 30th 08, 11:59 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Donwill popple @diddle .dot wrote:
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

A common place is just behind the front bumper in the wheel well protected
by the liner.

Vauxhall's(well astra's) its fitted to the front bumper on the bottom as
far back as it will go facing the ground, it does pick up the heat from
the road

--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Old November 30th 08, 01:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one. Where do they usually
position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air temperature it has
to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct sunlight, have
exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to engine heat.
Any tips or ideas?

Underside of one door mirror's the usual place, or under the front bumper.

The former can be subject to heat-soak when parked, especially on a dark
coloured car, the latter can get a bit chilled on cold wet days or soak
from the rad in heavy traffic.
Old December 1st 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
I have a peugeot partner escapade. It doesn't have an external temp
thermometer and I'm thinking to install one.
Where do they usually position the sensor bulb on the car, to measure air
temperature it has to be positioned so that it is shielded from direct
sunlight, have exposure to clean air so to speak, and not be exposed to
engine heat. Any tips or ideas?

My old Renaut had it under the drivers wing mirror. It actually looked like
the paint had run and collected there in a big drip. In fact the kids tried
to pick it off one day when they were washing the car!!!

Old December 1st 08, 08:58 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-11-30, Donwill popple@diddle wrote:

Any tips or ideas?

Mine's in the radiator grill, well in front of the radiator itself.

BTW, many cars may not have a specific sensor. The inlet air temperature is
measured by the fuel injection system, and you could use that value to
drive a low temperature warning.

I dont think that would give a true value ambient value as the venturi
effect will change the temperature(cant remember which way)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works