Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting door into frame

Can anyone recommend a machine tool to cut moulded panel doors to size to
fit into an existing door linings. In the past I've used a panel saw and
done it by hand but the last one I did was almost a write off, I was
appalled at my poor workmanship probably to do with advancing years and
subsequent lack of co-ordination between eye and hand or maybe it's
something to do with the wine consumption at end of day.:-)

Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a machine tool to cut moulded panel doors to size
to fit into an existing door linings. In the past I've used a panel saw
and done it by hand but the last one I did was almost a write off, I was
appalled at my poor workmanship probably to do with advancing years and
subsequent lack of co-ordination between eye and hand or maybe it's
something to do with the wine consumption at end of day.:-)

A plane.
Or a router if there is a bit more to remove or you have one but no plane.
A circular saw and a saw board.
A handyman.

In that order IMO.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A handheld circular saw is the tool. But if you're having trouble
using a handsaw through coordination problems, you should perhaps
consider the safety issues carefully. A CS is fine if you find a
handsaw too fatiguing, but it still requires reasonable coordination
and strength to be safe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Donwill" popple @diddle .dot wrote in message
Can anyone recommend a machine tool to cut moulded panel doors to size
to fit into an existing door linings. In the past I've used a panel saw
and done it by hand but the last one I did was almost a write off, I was
appalled at my poor workmanship probably to do with advancing years and
subsequent lack of co-ordination between eye and hand or maybe it's
something to do with the wine consumption at end of day.:-)

Measure the frame carefully.
Make an allowance for the clearance.
Take door to a wood yard and have them reduce on a proper saw bench for you
for a "drink"

Far safer and probably more accurate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:
Can anyone recommend a machine tool to cut moulded panel doors to
size to fit into an existing door linings. In the past I've used a
panel saw and done it by hand but the last one I did was almost a
write off, I was appalled at my poor workmanship probably to do with
advancing years and subsequent lack of co-ordination between eye and
hand or maybe it's something to do with the wine consumption at end
of day.:-)
Don

Don,

No offence intended, but it may be better now to get someone else to do it
for you - because if you are having difficulty using hand tools (because of
the lack of co-ordination, the wine consumption or both) then the effects
will be multiplied when using power tools, and a possible loss of fingers or
hand may be the result.

Cash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cash" wrote in message
Donwill wrote:
[...]

Yes, thank you all for advice and I mean that sincerely.
However, I'm inclined to have a go with a hand saw. Since my first posting,
I've remembered that cutting the top or bottom of the door, means you are
mainly cutting with the grain rather than across, which is difficult with a
fine toothed panel saw with which I had the problems originally.
I probably require a rip saw which if I remember rightly has larger teeth
and would keep to a line much better when cutting with the grain. No
problems with the sides, I can plane them but I don't fancy planing approx
20mm off the top of the door.
Can you buy rip saws these days? any recommendations?
Don

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Donwill wrote:

Yes, thank you all for advice and I mean that sincerely.
However, I'm inclined to have a go with a hand saw. Since my first posting,
I've remembered that cutting the top or bottom of the door, means you are
mainly cutting with the grain rather than across, which is difficult with a
fine toothed panel saw with which I had the problems originally.
I probably require a rip saw which if I remember rightly has larger teeth
and would keep to a line much better when cutting with the grain. No
problems with the sides, I can plane them but I don't fancy planing approx
20mm off the top of the door.
Can you buy rip saws these days? any recommendations?

I'd recommend that you get a pull saw designed for trimming hung doors.
I've used one successfully in the past. I prefer using a hand pull saw
to unhanging the door and using a power tool.

I suggest you use a soft pencil to mark the cut on the door. I find it
very easy to follow the line and the blade on the pull saw is broad so
that it doesn't tend to wander off the cut. You simply have to adapt
your style to the job and work relatively slowy and methodically. The
last thing you want is a ragged cut or a splintered door. Because it's a
pull say, make sure you work on the opposite side to the "good" side. In
my home this means that the "good" side is considered to be the one
facing the hall. YMMV.

This is the type of saw that I use:

http://tinyurl.com/5svudc