Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default tiling in a mirror

We're putting tiles in the bathroom and I want to put border tiles around a
mirror as the main feature. Can a mirror be tiled on? Builder is a bit
wary of this and was talking about screws, but it's slighty ugly. Any I've
seen have rubber washers at the back which means a bit of movement - good
for the safety of the mirror but not great for grouting into the surrounding
tiles.

Have a look at what I'm aiming for:
http://www.britishceramictile.com/im...canterbury.jpg

What's the best way to achieve this?

TIA
Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We're putting tiles in the bathroom and I want to put border tiles around
a mirror as the main feature. Can a mirror be tiled on? Builder is a bit
wary of this and was talking about screws, but it's slighty ugly. Any I've
seen have rubber washers at the back which means a bit of movement - good
for the safety of the mirror but not great for grouting into the
surrounding tiles.

Have a look at what I'm aiming for:
http://www.britishceramictile.com/im...canterbury.jpg

What's the best way to achieve this?

TIA
Suzanne

I've just had a closer look at this pic and they've cheated at the top!
Top row of tiles are Photoshopped in - there is no grout line between the
mirror and them.

Suzanne

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
We're putting tiles in the bathroom and I want to put border tiles around a
mirror as the main feature. Can a mirror be tiled on? Builder is a bit

I take it you mean can a mirror be stuck on like it were a tile, rather
than can you stick tiles to a mirror?

wary of this and was talking about screws, but it's slighty ugly. Any I've
seen have rubber washers at the back which means a bit of movement - good
for the safety of the mirror but not great for grouting into the surrounding
tiles.

Have a look at what I'm aiming for:
http://www.britishceramictile.com/im...canterbury.jpg

What's the best way to achieve this?

If you just want to stick the mirror to the wall, and tile round it,
then you can glue it with silicone rubber. There are ones made for the
purpose[1], but ordinary silicone will work (especially if its a plastic
film backed mirror as many of the bathroom ones seem to be)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

If you just want to stick the mirror to the wall, and tile round it,
then you can glue it with silicone rubber. There are ones made for the
purpose[1], but ordinary silicone will work (especially if its a plastic
film backed mirror as many of the bathroom ones seem to be)

Forgot the [1]:

e.g.

http://www.absealants.co.uk/product_...irr-o-bond.htm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Suz wrote:
We're putting tiles in the bathroom and I want to put border tiles around a
mirror as the main feature. Can a mirror be tiled on? Builder is a bit
wary of this and was talking about screws, but it's slighty ugly. Any I've
seen have rubber washers at the back which means a bit of movement - good
for the safety of the mirror but not great for grouting into the surrounding
tiles.

For sure; I've done it myself.

Attach the mirror first with mirror adhesive (personally I don't think
it's worth not using the real McCoy stuff). You attach a batten to the
wall exactly where you want the mirror, and this supports its weight
until the glue is totally set - you'd want to plan out the exact
position of your tiles in advance to get the effect right.

After the batten is removed, you tile up to the edge of the mirror and
grout in as if it were a big tile.

For best results, IMHO you'd be best off getting a bespoke mirror cut to
size at your local glazier: it's not prohibitively expensive versus the
price of an equivalently-sized off-the shelf item. That way you can
size the mirror to be the exact equivalent of an area of fitted tiles,
so the mirror fits seamlessly into the grid of tiles (unlike the one in
your link!)

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Attach the mirror first with mirror adhesive (personally I don't think
it's worth not using the real McCoy stuff). You attach a batten to the
wall exactly where you want the mirror, and this supports its weight
until the glue is totally set - you'd want to plan out the exact
position of your tiles in advance to get the effect right.

Why not just tile up to where the mirror goes and use those to support it
while the adhesive dries? Obviously use spacers between the tiles and
mirror. The adhesive should be ok to stop the mirror tilting and falling -
or you could use a length of wood etc to prop it in place by gravity.

FWIW some of the stock size mirrors B&Q etc sell are an exact size by full
tile numbers - depending of course on the size of the tiles. ;-)

--
*There are two sides to every divorce: Yours and **** head's*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Lobster wrote:
Attach the mirror first with mirror adhesive (personally I don't think
it's worth not using the real McCoy stuff). You attach a batten to the
wall exactly where you want the mirror, and this supports its weight
until the glue is totally set - you'd want to plan out the exact
position of your tiles in advance to get the effect right.

Why not just tile up to where the mirror goes and use those to support it
while the adhesive dries? Obviously use spacers between the tiles and
mirror. The adhesive should be ok to stop the mirror tilting and falling -
or you could use a length of wood etc to prop it in place by gravity.

FWIW some of the stock size mirrors B&Q etc sell are an exact size by full
tile numbers - depending of course on the size of the tiles. ;-)

Ive used both systems on two different mirrors. No probs with either way.

Beware, show SWMBO where the mirror is once glued up. Or not.

Mine said 'tats too high for women' and I JUST managed to get it off the
wall before the glue dried too much.

Mirrors glue is tremendous, and it sets quicker than you think.

Oval mirror - mirror leaning on tree.JPG (0/2) George Max Woodworking Plans and Photos 3 May 26th 07 12:36 AM
fixing mirror - mirror screws and bushes sm_jamieson UK diy 0 April 23rd 07 02:29 PM
Tiling - including a mirror F UK diy 4 July 31st 06 02:03 AM
where to get mirror? J Home Repair 11 May 11th 06 11:13 PM
how to cut a mirror? Ah10201 Woodworking 9 May 18th 04 02:35 AM