Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cleaning blackened stainless steel

Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?
Thanks for
reading Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 17:30, devonsteve wrote:
Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) *Is it possible to make it
shine again ?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks for
reading * * *

Boil up some rhubarb in it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"devonsteve" wrote in message
Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?

Scouring pad and baking soda may be worth a try.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
"devonsteve" wrote in message
Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?

Scouring pad and baking soda may be worth a try.

I'd use a stainless scourer after a long soak. If it's really bad, a wire
brush on a drill will nicely polish stainless. Stainless is extremely hard!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:21:24 -0000, "Fred" wrote:

"PeterMcC" wrote in message
"devonsteve" wrote in message
Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?

Scouring pad and baking soda may be worth a try.

I'd use a stainless scourer after a long soak. If it's really bad, a wire
brush on a drill will nicely polish stainless. Stainless is extremely hard!

IME it slowly gets better on it's own.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

devonsteve wrote:

Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?
Thanks for
reading Steve

A copper scourer is the thing of choice for most types of muck on SS
Better not to use a steel one, that would scratch the SS and ruin any
chance of shine.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 17:30, devonsteve wrote:
Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) *Is it possible to make it
shine again ?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Thanks for
reading * * * *Steve

Barkeeper's Friend is fantastic for cleaning anything made of
stainless steel.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Homecre-Home.../dp/B000TAW5TA
It seems to do something chemical to the steel and requires just a
quick wipe with virtually no elbow grease at all. I've never used it
for the sort of blackening you're describing, but it must be worth a
go. Don't pay Amazon's price though.

Cheers!

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Derek Geldard" wrote in message
On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 18:21:24 -0000, "Fred" wrote:

snip
I'd use a stainless scourer after a long soak. If it's really bad, a wire
brush on a drill will nicely polish stainless. Stainless is extremely
hard!

IME it slowly gets better on it's own.

Now that's my kind of DIY

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

devonsteve wrote:
Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?
Thanks for
reading Steve

Many, many years ago, I left a pan on a very low gas burner. IIRC I
found it on return from work (i.e. something like 24hrs after turning it
on). It contained a piece of porous charcoal. Which was quite impressive
as it had started out full of soup.

Anyway, all I did was clean it with normal things (maybe Cif or similar
and washing up liquid) - and use it. A decade later it was still in use
and quite decent looking.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Nov, 17:30, devonsteve wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,

Barkeeper's Friend, which is oxalic acid as a white powder. Same stuff
as rhubarb, but easier to work with. If you are using rhubarb though,
leaves are better than stems and remember that it's quite toxic stuff.

Otherwise scrubbing with such things as a Garryflex block (abrasive
grit in rubber). Then for kitchen use, passivate again afterwards to
avoid future staining. Use 15% citric acid solution (homebrew shop).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

devonsteve writes:

Hi Can anyone tell me how to clean blackened stainless steel pans ,
the pan is clean but the steel has gone black in areas , inside and
out. (presume her indoors let it boil dry!) Is it possible to make it
shine again ?

Depending on what the black is, you might have some success
with boiling a really concentrated solution of dishwasher
powder in it. You might find you need something else, but
if you already have dishwasher powder, it's minimal effor to
try this (it has worked for me, though not on every type of
blackening). Harder to do on the outside, though.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2008-04-26)

Cleaning stainless steel appliances Charles Schuler Home Repair 7 February 20th 07 10:48 PM
Cleaning of blackened stones on fireplace ? James Home Repair 15 January 19th 07 04:39 PM
Cleaning stainless steel? donh Home Repair 3 September 4th 06 04:02 AM
Cleaning stainless steel Blair UK diy 29 October 21st 05 01:33 PM
Stainless Steel Cleaning SCOTT Home Repair 4 January 8th 05 11:04 PM