Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why do 'Cordless' Electric kettles keep breaking down?

I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GPG" wrote in message
et...
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart,

or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

The contacts in the base unit are usually very thin and don't last long.
The one we have now is like a proper lead end set on the base and the kettle
sits quite tightly in it. It's about three years old now, if not a bit
more. Made by Crown, bought from Asda. I'm told Crown was a cheap maker
and their things didn't last two seconds. It's the best cordless kettle
we've had. Go figure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:29:42 -0000 someone who may be "GPG"
wrote this:-

I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

Mine must be at least 15 years old.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GPG wrote:
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

I would hazard that if there is nothing obvious just chuck it out
(i would not flaff about with something that has electricity and water
in such proximity but then I am a wuss) as a new one is in the under a
£5 range, of course you could be , really trendy, and go for an £80 kettle.
Ours is , at least, 11 years old and is still working fine it is
used at least six times a day
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

GPG wrote:
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

Why is it broken?

I'd hazard a guess that limescale is the single biggest killer of
kettles - rather than cordless or not.

But in answer, I would not try to repair unless it was something like a
damaged lead.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

My 13 year old Philips cordless kettle is on the way out - dodgy
sprung contacts in the base unit. Had bent them to make better contact
recently (yes, with it unplugged) - didn't last.

Now I'm looking for a real built to last replacement.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an old Morphy Richards K2
from ebay.

Suggestions on really good quality modern kettles?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have been toying with the idea of getting an old Morphy Richards K2
from ebay.

I mean a Russell Hobbs K2, of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 17:03:49 +0000, Rod

My 13 year old Philips cordless kettle is on the way out - dodgy
sprung contacts in the base unit. Had bent them to make better contact
recently (yes, with it unplugged) - didn't last.

Now I'm looking for a real built to last replacement.

I have been toying with the idea of getting an old Morphy Richards K2
from ebay.

Suggestions on really good quality modern kettles?

The one I like, and we have had for three or so years, is the Krups:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-Expert-Control-Kettle-Black/dp/B0002GTOP4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1226334689&sr=1-10

It is lighter than most (which is vital for partner who has muscle
problems). Works nicely. Is partially sealed from the room so unlikely
for flies to get into it.

You have a problem with flies . I remember having a kettle that had a
mesh filter... in the spout iirc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 3:29*pm, "GPG" wrote:
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. *The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). *Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

IME descaling tends to make them leak.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 5:03*pm, Rod wrote:

The Krups:
Is partially sealed from the room so unlikely for flies to get into it.

That's great to know. Flies swarming in my kettle have been the bane
of my life for many a long year. More manufacturers should highlight
the fly-resilience of their kettles.

For similar reasons, I can recommend Dualit toasters which are
expensive but have readily available spares. If an ocelot happens to
get in there and frig the element, you don't have to sling the whole
toaster. Worth factoring into your purchasing decision.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One problem that aggravates the light contacts is lifting the kettle
off the base before the thermostat trips. The contact on the kettle
base isn't really man enough to break several amps although it can
carry that current.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Nov 10, 3:29 pm, "GPG" wrote:
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

IME descaling tends to make them leak.

NT

Mine must be at least 12 years old - but starting to show signs of a contact
getting warm.

Does everyone switch it off (on the kettle) before removing it from the
base - to avoid arcing? Conversely does everyone have it switched off before
putting it on the base?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mike" wrote in message
On Nov 10, 5:03 pm, Rod wrote:

The Krups:
Is partially sealed from the room so unlikely for flies to get into it.

That's great to know. Flies swarming in my kettle have been the bane
of my life for many a long year. More manufacturers should highlight
the fly-resilience of their kettles.

For similar reasons, I can recommend Dualit toasters which are
expensive but have readily available spares. If an ocelot happens to
get in there and frig the element, you don't have to sling the whole
toaster. Worth factoring into your purchasing decision.

That's the reason we keep our Blender in the top cupboard. We hate it when
the hippos' get in there at night. Makes a real mess of the blender come
morning.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GPG" wrote in message
et...
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart, or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

This is nothing to do with Aldi but I've had one of their brands for nigh on
four years,the one before that from Tesco's..had that for 19months and only
got shut of it because it was naff at boiling time,still worked when I
dumped it.

Maybe you're unlucky with kettles? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message

wrote in message
On Nov 10, 3:29 pm, "GPG" wrote:
I seem to have to keep having to replace them after an astonishingly
short
time. The latest has just packed up after about 15 months (so out of
warranty, I imagine). Is there any future in trying to take them apart,
or
otherwise try to repair them?

GPG

IME descaling tends to make them leak.

NT

Mine must be at least 12 years old - but starting to show signs of a
contact getting warm.

Does everyone switch it off (on the kettle) before removing it from the
base - to avoid arcing? Conversely does everyone have it switched off
before putting it on the base?

Get one that switches itself off,mine is the removable base type but if I
leave the lid off(forget to replace the lid) it keeps on boiling till its
arse is burnt out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, 1501
writes
One problem that aggravates the light contacts is lifting the kettle
off the base before the thermostat trips. The contact on the kettle
base isn't really man enough to break several amps although it can
carry that current.

We have a Dualit equipped kitchen.

Kettle still as noisy as ever after 13 years. Nice to be able to boil a
cupful of water in a big capacity kettle. Nice also to clean out the
lime scale without having to struggle round an immersed element.

Some years ago, R4 did a piece on what was claimed to be the noisiest
kettle in the world! No names were mentioned but it sounded familiar:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:07:14 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

That's the reason we keep our Blender in the top cupboard. We hate it
when the hippos' get in there at night. Makes a real mess of the
blender come morning.

You ought to see what elephants leave in the breadmaker. B-)

Our current rapid boil cordless kettle is about 3 or 4 years old. Still
fine, the previous one didn't last all that long but we have had a change
of water supply over that period. From hard requiring a descale every
month or so to soft with only minimal scale over seval years.

So I suspect the descaling and/or the cavitation, that is much more
pronounced in a hardwater area, has a bearing on the life of kettles.
Especially modern moulded plastic ones with seals in the base, sight tubes
and/or transparent panels.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:07:14 GMT, BigWallop wrote:

That's the reason we keep our Blender in the top cupboard. We hate it
when the hippos' get in there at night. Makes a real mess of the
blender come morning.

You ought to see what elephants leave in the breadmaker. B-)

Our current rapid boil cordless kettle is about 3 or 4 years old. Still
fine, the previous one didn't last all that long but we have had a change
of water supply over that period. From hard requiring a descale every
month or so to soft with only minimal scale over seval years.

So I suspect the descaling and/or the cavitation, that is much more
pronounced in a hardwater area, has a bearing on the life of kettles.
Especially modern moulded plastic ones with seals in the base, sight tubes
and/or transparent panels.

Actually it's squirrels in the plantpots at the moment. Wish they'd eff
off. :-)

Well, a while ago I posted about a problem my mother was having with
filter flies! And they got into her kettle - so she always draped a
teatowel over it. Not very satisfactory.

The little slider across the kettle spout seems also to reduce the
amount of steam/clouds of condensed steam that appear above the spout
(as against our previous 'open' kettle). A plus for that reason even if
you don't have any flying creatures, breadcrumbs, bits of tea leaf or
anything else to keep out of your kettles!

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod" wrote in message
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

You mean these things
http://www.pestcontrolportal.com/pes...ipt1.asp?id=21 ? Yeeuuukkk!!!
Are they drawn toward the hot kettle?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

BigWallop wrote:

You mean these things
http://www.pestcontrolportal.com/pes...ipt1.asp?id=21 ? Yeeuuukkk!!!
Are they drawn toward the hot kettle?

I do mean those things.

She started to get them everywhere - mainly bathroom and kitchen. Pest
control and plumber had no idea. I went, rodded drain, found much
rubble/gravel. Seems someone had seen fit to tip rubbish down the vent
pipe many years ago and eventually it had broken/filled. Hence flies.
Fixed by insurance.

They were not obviously drawn to hot water, simply anything moist in the
area.

Horrible for her.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

On 2008-11-11, BigWallop wrote:

You mean these things
http://www.pestcontrolportal.com/pes...ipt1.asp?id=21 ? Yeeuuukkk!!!

Good web site. This is what it does when I looked to see what it says about
cluster flies (which we have);

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine
stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the
same data at the same time.

/pests/bannerrotator.asp, line 21

Worked fine for me just now. Maybe it's been fixed?

--
Rod

onset.

Kettles [email protected] UK diy 41 April 30th 07 11:21 AM
Kettles with concealed elements - are they all so noisy? Phil Addison UK diy 44 December 10th 06 03:11 PM
OT French Kettles Rod UK diy 201 August 19th 05 07:52 PM
Cordless Electric Lawn Mowers: Review & Recommendations GG Home Ownership 6 April 28th 04 04:48 PM
Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill Data Man Woodworking 4 August 12th 03 04:29 PM