Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler air pressure switch

Morning,

Over the last few days, I've been getting an intermittent fault in my
boiler (a Chaffoteaux Brittony combi). The code it blinks translates to
"fan on but air pressure switch not activated", or words to that effect.
Turning the power off and on again (can you tell I'm a software
engineer? :-) ) clears it for some hours / up to a day.

I have the service manual for it, and can see that the air pressure
switch and venturi (and the fan) is mounted inside the "sealed chamber"
(but not in the combustion chamber itself). I'm satisfied with my
competence to open this up (and in any case it's not actually
gas-carrying) but I'm not sure what I'd do when I get there if nothing's
obviously damaged.

It seems to me that the switch is not necessarily the culprit - it could
be doing its job perfectly and warning that the pressure is not changing
due to some other fault. So I don't want to just order another switch
and slap it in.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Cheers,

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Pete Verdon" d wrote in
message ...
[...]

This type of thing can be caused by the change in weather, and having wind
blow back into the flue and cause false detection. You say that a power
cycle sometimes clears it, or is it coincidence that your power cycle
coincided with a drop in the wind, or even the direction changed.

For me, it's a difficult one to diagnose unless you are standing in front of
it, I'm afraid. I hope other more knowledgeable souls come along with a few
more suggestions for you to try.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:46:12 +0000, Pete Verdon wrote:

[...]

Blow through the air switch tubes - might be a bit clogged up with dust.
It might not work but at least it can't do any harm.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete Verdon
d writes
[...]

You could always check the APS

Check the closed and open contact resistance - you want it to be in the
region of an ohm or less, this involves checking your probe resistance
first. You can activate the APS by GENTLY sucking or blowing on one of
the rubber tubes to the APS. Kink the tube and leave it kinked for 30
seconds or so to check that the APS membrane is not ruptured.Also check
for a split or suchlike in the rubber tubes

check the seals, check the flue,

Are you experiencing the high winds we are getting around here ? If your
flue is exposed, you might be getting blowback

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Cicero
writes
[...]

Well yes it can

you can rupture the APS diaphragm

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:00:22 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Cicero
writes
[...]

I meant *disconnected* tubes and should have said so because I wouldn't
ever suggest blowing dust *into* any piece of equipment like a switch.
Thanks for pointing out the possibility of damage to the switch and I
should add the possibility of blow-back of dust into the blower's eyes.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 00:00:22 +0000, geoff wrote:
Cicero writes

Blow through the air switch tubes - might be a bit clogged up with dust.
It might not work but at least it can't do any harm.

Well yes it can

you can rupture the APS diaphragm

I meant *disconnected* tubes and should have said so because I wouldn't
ever suggest blowing dust *into* any piece of equipment like a switch.

It's a fair point - without the warning I quite likely would have blown
through the valve body. I'd hope that I have sufficient mechanical
sympathy not to rupture anything in the process though, unless these
diaphragms are unusually sensitive.

At the moment, I'm hoping it's just the wind direction as BigWallop and
Geoff suggested :-). It hasn't happened again since I posted.

Pete

Pressure switch Bob Home Repair 1 December 10th 06 05:13 AM
combi boiler - pressure increases then boiler shuts down peri UK diy 1 July 10th 06 10:50 PM
Boiler differential pressure switch Ed Sirett UK diy 0 December 13th 05 12:09 AM
Boiler differential pressure switch Frank Erskine UK diy 0 December 12th 05 12:36 AM
Well pressure switch Kent McPherson Home Repair 9 November 16th 05 05:36 PM