Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Easy way to find joists above a lath and plaster ceiling?

I'm putting up timber stud partitions, and need to screw several top
plates into the loft joists in a lath and plaster ceiling (working
around various exposed features).

For a bunch of reasons, access from above is not so easy (not
impossible, just awkward).

My stud detector just bleeps everywhere (because of the laths and
nails).

The only thing I can think off is to drill a few test holes with a
fine drill (e.g 3mm) until I hit a loft joist. I reckon I could end up
doing a few of those for each fixing point, as the loft joists are not
very accurately spaced (Victorian building).

Anyone have any tips to make the job easier?

Where I have to fix top plates parallel to the loft joists (and no
doubt not directly underneath one) - I'm thinking to fix noggins above
(fortunately these will be in a more accessible area), and then use
120-130mm screws to be sure to bite into the loft joists.

Any other recommended solutions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 8, 5:10*pm, "Cash"
I'm putting up timber stud partitions, and need to screw several top
plates into the loft joists in a lath and plaster ceiling (working
around various exposed features).

For a bunch of reasons, access from above is not so easy (not
impossible, just awkward).

My stud detector just bleeps everywhere (because of the laths and
nails).

The only thing I can think off is to drill a few test holes with a
fine drill (e.g 3mm) until I hit a loft joist. I reckon I could end up
doing a few of those for each fixing point, as the loft joists are not
very accurately spaced (Victorian building).

Anyone have any tips to make the job easier?

If tapping doesnt do it, tiny holes + coathanger to roughly locate
them. With 2 points you can pencil lines on. Once you've got a few you
can interpolate others.

Tap the ceiling with a hammer until you hear a 'solid' sound - and that's
where the joist will be!

Where I have to fix top plates parallel to the loft joists (and no
doubt not directly underneath one) - I'm thinking to fix noggins above
(fortunately these will be in a more accessible area), and then use
120-130mm screws to be sure to bite into the loft joists.

Screws are really not essential here - simply cut the noggins between the
ceiling joists (a snug fit) and then use 4" nails to fix them through the
rafter or 3" nails if you are going to do 'skew' nail fixings.

Cash

its a brave man that will slam a large number of 4" nails into L&P

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 8 Nov 2008 08:47:25 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'm putting up timber stud partitions, and need to screw several top
plates into the loft joists in a lath and plaster ceiling (working
around various exposed features).

For a bunch of reasons, access from above is not so easy (not
impossible, just awkward).

My stud detector just bleeps everywhere (because of the laths and
nails).

The only thing I can think off is to drill a few test holes with a
fine drill (e.g 3mm) until I hit a loft joist. I reckon I could end up
doing a few of those for each fixing point, as the loft joists are not
very accurately spaced (Victorian building).

Yes thats the way to do it. Just be glad that you have some access
above so you can get an idea of the spacing and direction of the
joists. I once worked on an old building with no access above and
where the joist direction changed midway across the room. It took me
ages to realise what was going on

Its worth putting a skirt around the drill bit so the chuck doesnt get
bunged up with mortar

When you have finished fill the holes with polyfilla

Anna
--
Anna Kettle
Lime plaster repair and conservation
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was hoping you were going to answer Anna, thank you. I tried the
tapping others have suggested - slightly better than the stud
detector, but still very hit and miss - the fine drillings worked
best.

No need to fill the holes, as they're directly above the timber plate
(I already have a laser line to follow, it's just finding the
intersections with loft joists that's the trouble!)

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Do you know which way the joist are running? Those old ceilings have latte
(lathe) batons across the joists, running at 90 degrees from the joists.
When you try to find the joists with a detector, all you get is the points
where the lattes are nailed to the cross batons, which is almost everywhere
on the ceiling.

Where you are erecting your stud wall, punch a hole through enough to stick
a hand in and feel exactly where you are with the joists. Use your tape
measure to get an idea of where the rest of the joists are.

The hole you make is easily covered by the top plate of the stud you're
building.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to BigWallop, Tonia wrote:
Im just wondering, is your basement ceiling exposed at all?

If so, does the studs run the same way downstairs as up?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ng-518914-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 17 April 2018 04:14:05 UTC+1, Tonia wrote:
replying to BigWallop, Tonia wrote:

Im just wondering, is your basement ceiling exposed at all?

If so, does the studs run the same way downstairs as up?

I'm wondering why you hoh people keep replying to posts a decade old. Bigwallop hasn't been seen here in a long time. Come here via a sane usenet portal & you won't have that problem.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Oh yes they will seeing as I can see the posting date on that post on that
portal, so why cannot they? I suspect this is due to that server ignoring
years even though it adds them, it seems to treat all years the same way
regurgitating posts over and over.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Tuesday, 17 April 2018 04:14:05 UTC+1, Tonia wrote:
replying to BigWallop, Tonia wrote:

I'm just wondering, is your basement ceiling exposed at all?

If so, does the studs run the same way downstairs as up?

I'm wondering why you hoh people keep replying to posts a decade old.
Bigwallop hasn't been seen here in a long time. Come here via a sane usenet
portal & you won't have that problem.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 17 Apr 2018 14:12:31 +0100
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

That's the difference between visually available information and
perceived/processed information - if the stupid web page presents a
post there's a tendency to think it's recent/relevant and not look for
the date. In our nice Usenet clients we can sort messages by date and
not have ancient posts put next to recent ones. The website also
doesn't offer any sort of "hide read messages" option.

Oh yes they will seeing as I can see the posting date on that post on
that portal, so why cannot they?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/04/18 04:14, Tonia wrote:
replying to BigWallop, Tonia wrote:
Im just wondering, is your basement ceiling exposed at all?

If so, does the studs run the same way downstairs as up?

As the original post was made 9 1/2 YEARS ago, I'm sure the OP has
solved the problem, given up or died in the meantime...

Hint: It's the bit on HomeOwner's We-Rip_off_USENET-and-do-it-badly Hub
that says:

"posted on November 8, 2008, 4:47 pm"

*sigh*

Lath & Plaster ceiling John UK diy 11 February 18th 07 10:13 AM
Lath & Plaster Ceiling Séan Connolly UK diy 36 September 11th 05 09:02 PM
A lath and plaster ceiling maybe?! Ian UK diy 12 February 3rd 05 06:30 PM
Lath & Plaster ceiling repair help please Colin UK diy 4 January 18th 04 03:20 PM
Lath and plaster ceiling Peter UK diy 11 October 16th 03 05:27 PM