Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I can see the light - kitchen cupboard pelmets

I'm just finishing off fitting a kitchen (Wickes Montreal) and I have
come to put the pelmets on the wall cupboards.
I've already mounted the under cupboard lighting so we need the
pelmets to cover these (and diffuse the light etc).

The pelmets are a standard MDF with laminate and are curved rectangle
shape. Nothing fancy.

The problem I have is that the wall cupboards have not given a
properly flat surface on the bottom. Basically there are small (about
1mm) steps from the sides to the base of the cabinet.

A picture speaks a thousand so... http://img371.imageshack.us/my.php?image=pelmetfx4.jpg

All 6 wall cabinets are the same, as are my el-cheapo screwfix ones in
the utility room.

When the pelmets are mounted onto the cupboard using plastic blocks
the light behind shines through the gap. This looks crap.

The question is how would a pro kitchen fitter make this look better?
I can see a few options:
- Don't use plastic blocks, instead use long wood sections behind the
pelmet so that the gap will not let light through
- Use a router to take off 1mm from the end of the pelmets so that it
pushes up and fills the 1mm gap
- Add some of the self adhesive laminate tape to the top of the
pelmet to fill the gap

Any other ideas?

Painters10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Painters10" wrote in message
[...]

All I did with mine was to stick some duct tape on the inside of the pelmet
to the bottom of the cupboard, you don't notice it unless you look
underneath but if that bothers you another thing you could do is get some
right angle plastic strip (they do it in B&Q) and use that instead.
Trevor Smith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 8:03*pm, Painters10 wrote:

Any other ideas?

When I've done this job I've put a bead of suitably coloured mastic on
the pelmet before fitting. Remove the excess afterwards and it looks
excellent.

--
Nige Danton
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Painters10" wrote in message

Any other ideas?

Put some draught excluder foam in the gaps.

Painters10

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Painters10" wrote in message

Any other ideas?

Put some draught excluder foam in the gaps.

Painters10

Run a bead of coloured silicone along the inside

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all the ideas.
I am going to try the coloured sealant/mastic first.

Thanks
Painters10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"dennis@home" writes:

"Painters10" wrote in message

Any other ideas?

Put some draught excluder foam in the gaps.

The IKEA pelmets come with a strip of foam tape (thin version of
draught proofing tape) to stick along the top edge of the pelmet
for exactly this purpose.

Incidentally, I fix the lights to the back of the pelmet rather
than the underside of the cupboard, but these are just a bare
T5 fluorescent tube held by terry clips with remote electronic
gear. You want the lights as near the front of the cupboards as
you can position them to minimise reflections from the work
surface and shiney items on it into your eyes when working on
the worktop.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Kitchen cupboard Slick UK diy 7 June 5th 06 09:34 PM
Them kitchen cupboard.. The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 2 February 18th 06 11:25 PM
Wardrobe / Cupboard Light Switch david UK diy 1 September 5th 05 09:11 PM
Kitchen cupboard and tiling... Peter UK diy 4 July 27th 05 03:42 PM
Cupboard light with timed auto-off Apteryx UK diy 6 July 22nd 04 09:52 PM