Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New World fire / back boiler - Where's the pump?

Got a call from a friend the other day saying could you look at the
mother in law's central heating, the rads are not getting hot.

Anyway it turns out to be ancient New World gas fire / back boiler type
affair. From the description of the fault it initially sounded as if the
pump might be at fault, since the gravity circulated hot water was fine
I was told[1]. However, I could not actually find the pump! Looked in
all the normal places. Do these fires / boilers have a integral pump
system boiler style, or had the installer been really creative with its
location?

[1] The reality was somewhat different - in fact the main burner was not
lighting at all, and there were no volts getting to to the main gas valve.

The hot water was "working" since there was a tank full of it! The pump
was also working in that you could hear water flow and feel vibration
from it when the stat was calling for heat.

The fault turned out to be a loose mains inlet plug - the connector for
which was mounted on the end of a bit of flat wiring cable by the look
of it, and it had simply sprung out of its socket due to the stiffness
of the wire. Returning it to the socket restored normal operation.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:49:20 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Do these fires / boilers have a integral pump
system boiler style, or had the installer been really creative with its
location?

A pump can be fitted anywhere. If you are lucky there is a purpose
built channel with all the crap in to one side of the chimney breast,
covered with a plywood cover. If not it can be a matter of turning
the boiler off so it does not come on and turning the thermostat up so
the pump runs. You then creep around *listening*.

I stuffed one in with the boiler, one in the side of the chimney
breast and one under the landing floor outside the airing cupboard
door in installs over the years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
However, I could not actually find the pump! Looked in all the normal
places. Do these fires / boilers have a integral pump system boiler
style, or had the installer been really creative with its location?

Under the floorboards near the fireplace seems a favourite round here.
Requires taking out the fitted bookcases and lifting the lounge carpet.

That thought did occur to me (the flow and return for the rads appears
about a foot off the floor on the side of the chimney and then go
straight down into the floor. It was also close to where I could feel
some vibration and hear the pump noise. I just seemed like a PITA place
to put it! (still probably better than in the fireplace with the boiler
- since you would have to dismantle half the fire/boiler to get at it.

You may need to go a-hunting with a stethoscope

Luckily the old engineering adage of "it works better when plugged in"
fixed it on this occasion. Someone else can do it if the pump does turn
its toes up ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.