Converting 2 gang socket to 3 gang

Old November 1st 08, 10:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Converting 2 gang socket to 3 gang

If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362/...ical/Switches-
Sockets/Socket-Converters/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate;jsessionid=AZIRGMOYGVELACSTHZPCFFI?t s=35186
Old November 1st 08, 10:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

No. If it was separately fused, then maybe, but not if the original point
is a spur off.

Go cheaper and plug in a three gang switched extension lead.

Old November 1st 08, 11:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362/...ical/Switches-
Sockets/Socket-Converters/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate;jsessionid=AZIRGMOYGVELACSTHZPCFFI?t s=35186

The review posted on the same page suggests it contains a 13A fuse, so if
this is the case, then it's fine. It does however mean, you are only able to
draw 13A from all three sockets combined. So depending on what you are
plugging into it, this may or may not be an issue for you.

Toby...

Old November 1st 08, 03:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

Toby wrote:
wrote:
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

http://tiny.cc/x6zBj

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12362/...ical/Switches-
Sockets/Socket-Converters/Clipsal-Converta-Skt-2G-to-3G-Polycarbonate;jsessionid=AZIRGMOYGVELACSTHZPCFFI?t s=35186

The review posted on the same page suggests it contains a 13A fuse, so
if this is the case, then it's fine. It does however mean, you are only
able to draw 13A from all three sockets combined. So depending on what
you are plugging into it, this may or may not be an issue for you.

Toby...

I can confirm that it has a little fuse "drawer" on the left end. Note
also that it fits slightly asymmetrically - with an overhang of around
45mm to the left and 25mm to the right. You also need to allow around
20mm to enable the fuse drawer to open and to be closeable.

One oddity - visible in the picture - is that the switches are to the
left of the socket they control. IME, most sockets have the switch to
the right.

--
Rod

onset.
Old November 1st 08, 04:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
If you have a 2 gang socket is it OK to use one of these to convert
it to a 3 gang if the socket is a spur?

You can fit them as they are fused and limit the current to one sockets
worth.
I have been fitting the four way ones as going from two sockets to three is
as useful as going to four and they cost about the same.

Old November 2nd 08, 11:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

--
Rod

onset.
Old November 2nd 08, 12:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:23:19 +0000, Rod
wrote:

Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

Lok more like self tappers .
Old November 2nd 08, 01:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 02 Nov 2008 13:24:46 +0000, Rod

wrote:

Having looked further, I have found another oddity - the screws. Most
screws for back boxes I have seen have either been ordinary machine
screws with a straight-across cut end, or slightly fancier ones with a
step and an unthreaded bit which seems to help with locating them.

The Clipsal Converta 2 to 3 socket came with screws the like of which I
don't think I have ever seen! So here is a pictu

http://www.flickr.com/photos/polyurethane/299513

I have a feeling that they might actually work well - but will not know
until I have tried. But does anyone know what this sort of screw end is
called?

Lok more like self tappers .

Yes - but the tapered thread seems no sharper edged than a normal
machine screw thread. And is only very short so is quite rounded/blunt.

Having now used them, they did seem to locate well - something that is
quite often awkward with the normal forms. I think that if they approach
the threaded hole slightly off-centre, that end bit will tend to centre
the screw.

Was it a plastic surface box you fixed them to or a metal one ?
Old November 2nd 08, 04:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

wrote:

[...]

Both!

I did it to a not-in-use plastic box to see what happened. When I fitted
for real it that was to a standard metal back box in the wall.

--
Rod

onset.