Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PIR flood light without manual override

any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual override??
as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains that's enough to
trigger the manual override, so you come home to find the lights been on
all day wasting power, or would it be better if I installed a separate
PIR and floodlight
--
Kevin R
Reply address works
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote on 27/10/2008 :
any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual override??
as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains that's enough to
trigger the manual override, so you come home to find the lights been on all
day wasting power, or would it be better if I installed a separate PIR and
floodlight

The separate PIR's are very expensive, several times the cost of a
light with one built in. If you cannot find units without the manual
feature, could you perhaps look at a circuit to hold the supply off for
longer than the usual 10 seconds which triggers the manual on?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin wrote:
any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual
override?? as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains
that's enough to trigger the manual override, so you come home to
find the lights been on all day wasting power, or would it be better
if I installed a separate PIR and floodlight

I'd like to know as well. In the more rural areas near here there is
exactly the same problem. Power dip or temprary outage at just past
midnight can leave a couple of 500w PIR's on all night.

I've reduced the problem for a couple of customers by swapping to 150w
lamps, or changing the lights to dawn/dusk ones with enegy saving bulbs.
But a lot of people like the PIR 500w jobbies as an intruder deterent. Not
sure if that works, but its what the customer wants.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Kevin wrote on 27/10/2008 :
any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual override??
as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains that's enough
to trigger the manual override, so you come home to find the lights
been on all day wasting power, or would it be better if I installed a
separate PIR and floodlight

The separate PIR's are very expensive, several times the cost of a light

Toolstation do them for a tenner.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Kevin wrote on 27/10/2008 :
any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual

override??
as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains that's enough
to trigger the manual override, so you come home to find the lights
been on all day wasting power, or would it be better if I installed a
separate PIR and floodlight

The separate PIR's are very expensive, several times the cost of a light

Toolstation do them for a tenner.

Well that is more expensive than an integrated PIR 500W halogen piece of
****e from the sheds:-)

You could feed the light from a separate photo cell

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ERPEC1000.html

But these also cost more than the original light.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Kevin writes:
any one know of a floodlight with built in PIR without manual override??
as we seem to live in a area that has dips in the mains that's enough to
trigger the manual override, so you come home to find the lights been on
all day wasting power, or would it be better if I installed a separate
PIR and floodlight

Optimum position for a PIR is almost never the floodlight
itself (floodlight wants to be much higher than a PIR),
so combined units are very rarely the correct choice.

--
Andrew Gabriel