Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default worcester bosch 19/24 CBi boiler

HI Chaps,

I was woken up this morning by the boiler making a weird sound
which we thought was an airlock, so we made sure the radiators were all
full and the noise seemed to go away...

but I was sat at the computer and heard a tic tic ticking noise, which I
thought was the boiler trying to light and failing of course on closer
inspection he noise was a drip drip dripping, and water was leaking from
the boiler all over the mains incoming to the house which happens to be
below it!!!! Yes I know not clever positioning but this is what we
inherited from the previous owner.

So I've drained the system down to stop the leak

I rang our usual plumber chap who said "your heat exchangers cracked---
you need a new boiler!"

This one is 6 years old and had a problem with the pcb and possibly the
thermal sensors about 4 weeks ago which we thought we'd fixed. (£600
down the drain so to speak (this included a new three port valve))

So my questions a

Is it worth trying to just change the heat exchanger or is the gas valve
pcb and air pressure valve trashed because of the water?

Is replacing this with a vaillant system (or maybe cistern not sure of
what the plumber guy said over the phone)boiler a reasonable move.
apparently it doesn't need a header tank if I understand correctly. I
would be keeping the hot water tank and everything else the same.

I was roughly quoted £2000 for this, is this reasonable?

Is there any chance my house insurance will cough up for the replacement
boiler.

Sorry for asking such basic questions but I know you can be helpful.

dedics

and yes I am thinking of taking an angle grinder to it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
[...]

Worcester Bosch charge a flat fee (£200 ish), which includes replacement
of up to 3 major parts (a bit extra if the heat exchanger has gone).
I wouldn't put much faith in your "usual plumber chap"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

Worcester Bosch charge a flat fee (£200 ish), which includes replacement
of up to 3 major parts (a bit extra if the heat exchanger has gone).
I wouldn't put much faith in your "usual plumber chap"

yes I know, it took them 2 visits last time, and perhaps the heat
exchanger failure is their fault too.

Do you think there's any mileage in getting the WB repair queried?

I thought that because there was water everywhere all the circuit
components would/might be trashed...

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:
stuart noble wrote:
Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

Worcester Bosch charge a flat fee (£200 ish), which includes
replacement of up to 3 major parts (a bit extra if the heat exchanger
has gone).
I wouldn't put much faith in your "usual plumber chap"

yes I know, it took them 2 visits last time, and perhaps the heat
exchanger failure is their fault too.

Do you think there's any mileage in getting the WB repair queried?

I thought that because there was water everywhere all the circuit
components would/might be trashed...

dedics

I got them out 11 months after their previous visit, and they did indeed
admit that they screwed up the first time, so I wasn't charged.

I'd ring them up and make your case. It really isn't reasonable to have
so much trouble with a 6 year old boiler
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:11:49 +0100, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

I rang our usual plumber chap who said "your heat exchangers cracked---
you need a new boiler!"

The good news is that the heat exchanger is probably not cracked: there
are 'O'-rings that seal the ends to the unions with the pipework at the
left side, and to blanking plates at the right side, and it's probably just
these that are knackered.

The bad news is that it still requires a major dismantling of the boiler
to get at them and I suspect it's a persistent problem with the material
of the rings not being up to the job. Last time I had to do this job W-B
spun me a line about how the system couldn't have been properly flushed
out (which it had no specific warning about anyway) and that it was
un-flushed-out crud accumulating in the heat exchanger causing hot spots
which in turn were causing damage to the O-rings. However I didn't find
any noticeable amount of crud deposited in the h-x and I did notice that
the colour of the rings was differnt to the last set (grey rather than
black IIRC) suggesting they'd changed the formulation.

Whether you choose to bite the bullet and go for a new boiler rather than
throw good money into what is probably not Worcester's most reliable
example of conventional-tech boiler (the only one in the range with a
cast-iron heat exchanger AFAIK) is up to you.

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

My other sigs are posh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, I'm still not happy that everything has been soaked in
water and am concerned about future reliabilty.

Yep, the problem is not just that it's not been very reliable from about
a year ago, so I think we will go for a new boiler.

is the vaillant eco 24 system boiler reasonably good and reliable?

Dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:18:39 +0100, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

is the vaillant eco 24 system boiler reasonably good and reliable?

Probably: Vaillant have a pretty good reputation. (Maybe Ed will be along
in a bit: I think they're his favourite.) Personally I fit Worcester-Bosch
which are generally pretty good and suit me better as some of their range
are a one-man lift onto the wall, and that's exactly the same number of
people that I am ;-)

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

You'll make some woman a fine husband, Dr Frankenstein
Posted to uk.d-i-y

YAPH wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:18:39 +0100, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

is the vaillant eco 24 system boiler reasonably good and reliable?

Probably: Vaillant have a pretty good reputation. (Maybe Ed will be along
in a bit: I think they're his favourite.) Personally I fit Worcester-Bosch
which are generally pretty good and suit me better as some of their range
are a one-man lift onto the wall, and that's exactly the same number of
people that I am ;-)

So how come the 19/24 CBi is so bad? it's only lasted 6 years and has
been very temperamental.

dedics

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 09:26:22 +0100, Ian & Hilda Dedic wrote:

So how come the 19/24 CBi is so bad? it's only lasted 6 years and has
been very temperamental.

I think it's the runt in Worcester's litter. Most of their range are
pretty reliable, but are a quite different design. Quite why they chose to
make one model with a cast-iron heat exchanger when they had a perfectly
good lightweight exchanger they used in all their others, beats me.

--
YAPH http://yaph.co.uk

Life is nature's way of keeping meat fresh