Senior Member

Question Skimming walls - do reveals need new corner beading?

When skimming walls in order to bring a plaster finish up to a better standard, what happens at reveal and external corners? Do new mini thin-coat angle bead/mini mesh get fixed or simply use a corner trowel?

Anyone use this Screwfix product for corners?:

http://tinyurl.com/3v4nbt

Any good?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Skimming walls - do reveals need new corner beading?

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:

When skimming walls in order to bring a plaster finish up to a better
standard, what happens at reveal and external corners? Do new mini
thin-coat angle bead/mini mesh get fixed or simply use a corner
trowel?

Depends how good you are at plastering. Using plasterboard beading
is easiest. Next easiest is to fix a piece of wide timber to one
wall overhanging the corner so you can plaster up to it from the
other wall like it is an internal corner (this generates a razor
sharp external corner which you'll probably want to sand down).
An external corner trowel is probably the hardest of the 3 ways,
and getting the edge straight is hard. (Note they need wearing in
when you buy them -- they won't work well straight off the shelf.)
They're useful for repairing damaged external corners.

If the corner is likely to be subject to things bashing into it,
plasterboard beading will give best protection.

Anyone use this Screwfix product for corners?:

http://tinyurl.com/3v4nbt

Never seen it before. Can't actually imagine how it can work.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:

[...]

It's just tape with two metal sections stuck on in the middle( the
grey parts with a very small gap between) which you fold over and
fix to the corner of the wall and plaster over it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/IMG_9189.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT,
(Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:
When skimming walls in order to bring a plaster finish up to a better
standard, what happens at reveal and external corners? Do new mini
thin-coat angle bead/mini mesh get fixed or simply use a corner
trowel?

Any plasterer I've had do this job for me has always attached new
(standard) beading over the old.

Anyone use this Screwfix product for corners?:

http://tinyurl.com/3v4nbt
Never seen it before. Can't actually imagine how it can work.

It's just tape with two metal sections stuck on in the middle( the
grey parts with a very small gap between) which you fold over and
fix to the corner of the wall and plaster over it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/IMG_9189.jpg

I don't get that either. If you put that stuff to a corner edge prior to
applying 3mm of skim plaster, then surely the reinforced metal corners
will be buried under 3mm of plaster which will be vulnerable to knocks -
surely the whole point of using beading at external corners is so the
metal is exposed to the atmosphere and protects the corner?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:57:32 +0100, Lobster

On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:
[...]

Your logic sounds reasonable until you say this:-

" surely the whole point of using beading at external corners is so
the metal is exposed to the atmosphere and protects the corner?"

What if your intention is just to paint the plastered wall ..would you
want the metal exposed to the atmosphere in that situation.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes
On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT,
(Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,

Anyone use this Screwfix product for corners?:

http://tinyurl.com/3v4nbt

Never seen it before. Can't actually imagine how it can work.

It's just tape with two metal sections stuck on in the middle( the
grey parts with a very small gap between) which you fold over and
fix to the corner of the wall and plaster over it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/IMG_9189.jpg

The way you've shown it in the photo (metal out) is the intuitive way I
expected to use it but the instructions say metal strips to the wall
with the tape on the outside. After a (very) short attempt at using it I
dumped it in the bin and got some low profile external bead, much
better.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:30:51 +0100, fred wrote:

In article ,
writes
On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,

Anyone use this Screwfix product for corners?:

http://tinyurl.com/3v4nbt

Never seen it before. Can't actually imagine how it can work.

It's just tape with two metal sections stuck on in the middle( the
grey parts with a very small gap between) which you fold over and
fix to the corner of the wall and plaster over it .
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...e/IMG_9189.jpg

The way you've shown it in the photo (metal out) is the intuitive way I
expected to use it but the instructions say metal strips to the wall
with the tape on the outside. After a (very) short attempt at using it I
dumped it in the bin and got some low profile external bead, much
better.

Ah right ..I never thought of using it paper side out ...I've not
actually used it at all ...just checked the box it came in and it has
no instructions .
What didnt you like about it ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
writes
[...]

I thought it was going to be a light, possibly aluminium, strip with a
simple fold down the middle that could be stuck on the corner[*] before
applying a light skim, just to the corner, feathering out over 6" or so
to nothing.

It turns out that you are meant to apply a wet plaster coat to the
corner then embed the tape in that with the metal inwards, then smooth
over the outer with more plaster. In short, it is too many balls in the
air for the inexperienced plasterer.

Also, with the two metal strips not mechanically linked (except by the
paper tape) I thought it wouldn't be as strong as a folded corner bead.

Does that make sense?

By contrast a thin plasterboard bead holds itself together and while an
expert may hold it in place with a few dabs of his skim coat, it's no
shame for an amateur to tack it in place with a few nails or PB screws
without that slip/slapping urgency I felt with the steel banded tape.
[*] I think the detailed description mentioned something about being
self adhesive but that is just between the steel bands and the tape ie.
no use in fixing it to the corner.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:31:55 +0100, Bruce wrote:

wrote:

What if your intention is just to paint the plastered wall ..would you
want the metal exposed to the atmosphere in that situation.

The metal is made from galvanised steel sheet, so there is no problem
with it being left exposed to the atmosphere.

I think you missed the point I was attempting to make ...about
painting the wall...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
wrote:
On 13 Oct 2008 15:18:59 GMT,
(Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

In article ,
Cordless Crazy writes:
[...]

I'm not sure the edge vulnerability is the main issue here.
It's rather more that the 3mm raised edge of the plasterboard
beading gives you a perfect corner edge to trowel off against,
and you don't have to make a perfect corner out of plaster, which
is more difficult. You can also plaster both walls together as
the beading isolates the two plaster finishes, which you can't
do if you are forming the corner by hand.

I can't actually see any point using that paper/metal tape at
all, and I still don't understand what it hoped to achieve.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Skimming walls Gib Bogle UK diy 1 May 3rd 08 10:58 PM
Inventing a young Chinese small-sized camera reveals what is behind the walls DODI Home Repair 0 November 12th 07 01:28 PM
Re-skimming rounded Victorian wall-corners with wooden corner piece - remove? Chris UK diy 6 March 18th 07 07:27 PM
Cost of Skimming Walls whywaites UK diy 1 August 20th 05 02:09 PM
skimming over old walls bill UK diy 3 February 22nd 05 07:54 PM