Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wiring diagram for fully pumped Honeywell S plan

I am upgrading my very antiquated central heating. I am fitting a two
channel programmer, two 2 port zone valves for HW and CH, and an extra
pump for the HW which is gravity fed at present.

As I understand it, this constitutes a Honeywell S plan, and, except
for the extra HW pump, is shown at:

www.octaveblue.co.uk/c_heating/sp_hw.htm

and:

www.octaveblue.co.uk/c_heating/sp_ch.htm

but these diagrams only show a pump for CH which seems to be wired to
run all the time whether there is a call for heat for HW or a call for
heat for CH.

Is there any reason why I cannot wire the CH and HW pumps respectively
between the room thermostat and the CH zone valve, and the cylinder
thermostat and the HW zone valve? Or can anyone give me a link to a
wiring diagram for a fully pumped S plan system?

TIA

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 7:11*am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than fed
from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message
On Oct 13, 7:11 am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than fed
from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

On my system the end switches on all the valves connect to boiler on.
The boiler has a pump over run stat and connects to the pump.

You don't say what boiler you have or if you are changing it.
It may need an overrun stat if you remove the gravity loop.

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 13, 12:58*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Keefiedee" wrote in message

On Oct 13, 7:11 am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. *The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than fed
from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

On my system the end switches on all the valves connect to boiler on.
The boiler has a pump over run stat and connects to the pump.

You don't say what boiler you have or if you are changing it.
It may need an overrun stat if you remove the gravity loop.

Keith- Hide quoted text -

The boiler is oil - about 5 years old. Not sure what you mean by
overrun stat. Please clarify.

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Keefiedee" wrote in message

The boiler is oil - about 5 years old. Not sure what you mean by
overrun stat. Please clarify.

Runs for a period after the boiler has finished to allow the heat to be
removed from the boiler.
You don't need one with a gravity loop but the boiler may need one if you
remove the gravity loop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Keefiedee wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:11 am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than fed
from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

Keith

Why do you want two pumps?

You have two valves which are opened /closed by the room stat and tank stat.
If either valve is open, the boiler fires and the pump runs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 14, 2:14*pm, "PM" wrote:
Keefiedee wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:11 am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. *The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than fed
from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

Keith

Why do you want two pumps?

You have two valves which are opened /closed by the room stat and tank stat.
If either valve is open, the boiler fires and the pump runs.

Because the HW and CH have separate pipework coming out of the boiler,
and the HW was only heated by gravity before I fitted the pump. I
know a pump isn't absolutely necessary, but I wanted a more efficient
system.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

Keefiedee wrote:
On Oct 14, 2:14 pm, "PM" wrote:
Keefiedee wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:11 am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than
fed from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

Keith

Why do you want two pumps?

You have two valves which are opened /closed by the room stat and
tank stat. If either valve is open, the boiler fires and the pump
runs.

Because the HW and CH have separate pipework coming out of the boiler,
and the HW was only heated by gravity before I fitted the pump. I
know a pump isn't absolutely necessary, but I wanted a more efficient
system.

That makes sense then!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:

On Oct 14, 2:14 pm, "PM" wrote:
Keefiedee wrote:
On Oct 13, 7:11 am, Keefiedee wrote:

I think I've got it. The pumps don't go between the thermostats and
the motorised valves, but are fed from the thermostats rather than
fed from the switches in the motorised valves.

Will someone please confirm?

Keith

Why do you want two pumps?

You have two valves which are opened /closed by the room stat and
tank stat. If either valve is open, the boiler fires and the pump
runs.

Because the HW and CH have separate pipework coming out of the boiler,
and the HW was only heated by gravity before I fitted the pump. I
know a pump isn't absolutely necessary, but I wanted a more efficient
system.

So what you have *isn't* an S-Plan system - because that would only have
*one* pump.

With two pumps, you don't actually need any motorised valves. You simply
control each pump with its (room or cylinder) stat - and you then need some
relay logic to fire up the boiler when either (or both) pump is running.
[You may then find that you still get gravity circulation in the HW circuit
when only the CH is supposed to be on - in which case a simple check valve,
which requires pump pressure to open it, needs to be inserted into the HW
circuit.]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So what you have *isn't* an S-Plan system - because that would only have
*one* pump.

With two pumps, you don't actually need any motorised valves. You simply
control each pump with its (room or cylinder) stat - and you then need some
relay logic to fire up the boiler when either (or both) pump is running.
[You may then find that you still get gravity circulation in the HW circuit
when only the CH is supposed to be on - in which case a simple check valve,
which requires pump pressure to open it, needs to be inserted into the HW
circuit.]
--
Cheers,
Roger
______

I thought the difference between S plan and Y plan was that S plan
used 2 port motorised valves, and Y plan used 3 port valves?

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Keefiedee wrote:

I thought the difference between S plan and Y plan was that S plan
used 2 port motorised valves, and Y plan used 3 port valves?

Keith

That is true, but the thing which they have in common is that they both use
only *one* pump.
--
Cheers,
Roger