Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default japlac

Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 16, 11:48*am, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

Thanks,
Stephen.

Years ago maybe 20 I painted trim in one room with 2 of the most
expensive paints made, both white, I forget why I used 2 brands, both
were stated not to yellow, one has badly. So nobody can say about
craplac, use a known name brand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 16, 7:45*pm, ransley wrote:
On Oct 16, 11:48*am, Stephen
wrote:

Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

Thanks,
Stephen.

Years ago maybe 20 I painted trim in one room with 2 of the most
expensive paints made, both white, I forget why I used 2 brands, both
were stated not to yellow, one has badly. So nobody can say about
craplac, use a known name brand.

International is hardly a crap brand. I cant answer the OQ though.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
dmc dmc is offline

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

From what I remember, Japlac is some sort of wierd enamal paint. It is
*very* hig gloss _ I used some years back for painting some wooden toys.

Dunno about the yellowing though. Only paint I've found in our conservatory
that hasn't yellowed is the dulux waterbased gloss - horrible to work with
though (but much better for my ashtma )

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ransley wrote:
On Oct 16, 11:48 am, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

Thanks,
Stephen.

Years ago maybe 20 I painted trim in one room with 2 of the most
expensive paints made, both white, I forget why I used 2 brands, both
were stated not to yellow, one has badly. So nobody can say about
craplac, use a known name brand.

Japlac is a well known brand going back to at lest the 50's

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dmc wrote:
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

From what I remember, Japlac is some sort of wierd enamal paint. It is
*very* hig gloss _ I used some years back for painting some wooden toys.

Dunno about the yellowing though. Only paint I've found in our conservatory
that hasn't yellowed is the dulux waterbased gloss - horrible to work with
though (but much better for my ashtma )

Darren

Thats correct. It's a LACQUER. I.e. a paint that goes on really thick
and is semi-translucent. Sort of like a car body finish.

Largely these days we don't use this..you would be more likely to use a
two pack setting paint, than a drying lacquer in industrial uses..but
its probably still a very decent way to finish stuff.

Whether it yellows or not depends on the nature of the pigment (which
probably won't yellow) and the substrate its held in. Plus exposure to
UV and fag smoke ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across "japlac"
on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say much, except
that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and other materials)
inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more hard-wearing than gloss
and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow faster or slower than
"normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the International help line but
they didn't seem to know any more than me ;(

Thanks,
Stephen.

Years ago maybe 20 I painted trim in one room with 2 of the most
expensive paints made, both white, I forget why I used 2 brands, both
were stated not to yellow, one has badly. So nobody can say about
craplac, use a known name brand.

Japlac is a known name brand to those who know anything about the
subject. Now crawl back under your rock.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

This lot used to do a very tough non yellowing paint, developed mainly
to do platform edges on the London Underground I believe.

http://www.applegate.co.uk/plastics/...y/co_21541.htm

Alas, no website, but their technical dept might be worth a call.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 09:52:49 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Thats correct. It's a LACQUER. I.e. a paint that goes on really thick
and is semi-translucent. Sort of like a car body finish.

Largely these days we don't use this..you would be more likely to use a
two pack setting paint, than a drying lacquer in industrial uses..but
its probably still a very decent way to finish stuff.

So would you recommend it for skirting and architrave?

I did search Wikipedia for "japlac" but never thought to look at the
"japanning" entry, though IMHO it didn't really say much.

I have heard that lack of UV light accelerates the yellowing of white
paint and I remember the underground paint (underground= no uv?) being
mentioned here before. IIRC it was expensive though? I will have to
ask them.

What type of UV is required to prevent yellowing? Is the yellowing
reversible? If you put yellowed paint outdoors or under a sunbed (LOL)
or blacklight would it revert back to white?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ransley wrote:

On Oct 16, 11:48*am, Stephen
wrote:
Hello,

In my search for non-yellowing white paint, I stumbled across
"japlac" on the international paints' web site. It doesn't say
much, except that it's a high gloss finish suitable for wood (and
other materials) inside and out. What exactly is it? I it more
hard-wearing than gloss and does it yellow? If so, does it yellow
faster or slower than "normal" gloss? I did spent 'phone the
International help line but they didn't seem to know any more than
me ;(

Thanks,
Stephen.

Years ago maybe 20 I painted trim in one room with 2 of the most
expensive paints made, both white, I forget why I used 2 brands, both
were stated not to yellow, one has badly. So nobody can say about
craplac, use a known name brand.

Japlac is a brand of enamel paint that has been on the market since at
least 1954. I have no idea how well the white will stand yellowing as I
have only used coloured on indoor applications. The colour seems to
last well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AlanG" wrote in message
ransley wrote:

On Oct 16, 11:48 am, Stephen
wrote:
[...]

I think I still have a tin somewhe it came with a yellow Viva: long
departed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What type of UV is required to prevent yellowing? Is the yellowing
reversible? If you put yellowed paint outdoors or under a sunbed (LOL)
or blacklight would it revert back to white?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I've found that yellowing is reversed if the yellowed paint is placed
outdoors.
I strongly suspect that a sunbed would have the same effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Fuxit wrote:
wrote:

What type of UV is required to prevent yellowing? Is the yellowing
reversible? If you put yellowed paint outdoors or under a sunbed (LOL)
or blacklight would it revert back to white?

Thanks,
Stephen.

I've found that yellowing is reversed if the yellowed paint is placed
outdoors.
I strongly suspect that a sunbed would have the same effect.

not much good if its a door frame :-)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works