Posted to uk.d-i-y
bp bp is offline

Default Fitting a stable door - can I simply chop a normal door and fit it?

Hi

I want to fit a stable door internally in the dining room (accessed
from the kitchen), and I have a few questions.

1)Are there any regualtion for fitting these - I have never seen one
internally, but am hoping its OK to fit one internally.

2) Can I just buy a solid wooden door (I have seen a pine one in the
local DIY stores fo £25) and chop it down the middle.
This is what I am thinking: Chop the door down the middle and sand/
finish edges. Use 4 hinges (2 per half). and provide some kind of
bolt to join the doors together if I ever wanted that. To ensure the
2 halfs line up, I was going to attach the whole door to the frame
using 4 hinges first, Once the door is fixed correctly, then I would
chop it.
Only thing I am not sure is can you chop such a door. Will it still
stay together or will i be cutting along some main structural part of
the door.

Many thanks for any help

Bhupesh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"bp" wrote in message
Hi

I want to fit a stable door internally in the dining room (accessed
from the kitchen), and I have a few questions.

1)Are there any regualtion for fitting these - I have never seen one
internally, but am hoping its OK to fit one internally.

Yep......What you do in your own home is your matter if fitting a door
unless it needs to be a fire door.

2) Can I just buy a solid wooden door (I have seen a pine one in the
local DIY stores fo £25) and chop it down the middle.
This is what I am thinking: Chop the door down the middle and sand/
finish edges. Use 4 hinges (2 per half). and provide some kind of
bolt to join the doors together if I ever wanted that. To ensure the
2 halfs line up, I was going to attach the whole door to the frame
using 4 hinges first, Once the door is fixed correctly, then I would
chop it.
Only thing I am not sure is can you chop such a door. Will it still
stay together or will i be cutting along some main structural part of
the door.

Depending on the section in which you cut the "half" you *might* need to add
a little reinforcing to an edge perhaps. If it's going to be used say as a
hatch to see through and not allow small children into another area (The
kitchen) you might like to add a small shelf to one side to act as a serving
ledge

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9 Oct, 17:39, bp wrote:
[...]

Won't it be a bit tricky to cut the door whilst it is in place?
Perhaps mark the hinges etc whilst it is "whole" but actually fix in
place once it has been cut?

Beware though - an apparently solid door at £25 is unlikley to be
solid.
I had one recently and had to trim 10mm from one edge - and it exposed
a lot of cavities in the wood.

Mark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"bp" wrote in message

[a snip]

Depending on the section in which you cut the "half" you *might* need
to add a little reinforcing to an edge perhaps. If it's going to be
used say as a hatch to see through and not allow small children into
another area (The kitchen) you might like to add a small shelf to one
side to act as a serving ledge

Arrg! I can see a tragedy to come there! Hot food on a plate on the shelf as
dear delightful Dora tries to stand up and grabs or pushes the plate of
food!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 10:17*am, wrote:
On 9 Oct, 17:39, bp wrote:

[...]

At £25 he can afford to practice.

Fit the door, take it down, then cut it. A slip of 32 mm, or something
like that size, in each edge with PVA glue and tape to hold it while
it goes off and it is ready to replace.

You might need to get the wood slips planed -which will require an
electric planer if you want to used 2 x 1.

Cutting the door with a circular saw would be better than trying to
hand saw it. Otherwise you could lose a bit of height rectifying any
wondering with an hand-saw.

Start the cut as far as the bottom corners* then scratch the line to
help prevent break-out. Put tape on it too.

*Or do I mean top face? I can't remember. I do know you'll get a
ragged cut one side if not careful.

A picture is always the ideal for this sort of advice. A catalogue
number for the door at least. You are going to have a miserable time
if the door jamb is not perfectly flat.

If that happens you will have to adjust the frame not the door.

Belly it out with wedges after removing an architrave, to stop the
doors meeting on the opposite sides (Separate the far edge.)

Take wedges out and screw the frame's leg home a bit more if the far
edge wants closing. It isn't difficult but can be fiddly.

Door handles.
You will need inserts for them and the locks. Put them in the doors
before the closing slips go in. They'll need to be the same width of
course but can be as deep as you think you need.

Good luck.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clot" wrote in message
RW wrote:
"bp" wrote in message

[a snip]

Depending on the section in which you cut the "half" you *might* need
to add a little reinforcing to an edge perhaps. If it's going to be
used say as a hatch to see through and not allow small children into
another area (The kitchen) you might like to add a small shelf to one
side to act as a serving ledge

Arrg! I can see a tragedy to come there! Hot food on a plate on the shelf
as dear delightful Dora tries to stand up and grabs or pushes the plate of
food!

Nah....Just don't put hot food on the ledge when there are kids
around....Use boiling tar instead...Far more effective

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RW wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
RW wrote:
"bp" wrote in message

[a snip]

Depending on the section in which you cut the "half" you *might*
need to add a little reinforcing to an edge perhaps. If it's going
to be used say as a hatch to see through and not allow small
children into another area (The kitchen) you might like to add a
small shelf to one side to act as a serving ledge

Arrg! I can see a tragedy to come there! Hot food on a plate on the
shelf as dear delightful Dora tries to stand up and grabs or pushes
the plate of food!

Nah....Just don't put hot food on the ledge when there are kids
around....Use boiling tar instead...Far more effective

That caused me a chuckle!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clot wrote:
RW wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
RW wrote:
"bp" wrote in message
[a snip]
Depending on the section in which you cut the "half" you *might*
need to add a little reinforcing to an edge perhaps. If it's going
to be used say as a hatch to see through and not allow small
children into another area (The kitchen) you might like to add a
small shelf to one side to act as a serving ledge
Arrg! I can see a tragedy to come there! Hot food on a plate on the
shelf as dear delightful Dora tries to stand up and grabs or pushes
the plate of food!

Nah....Just don't put hot food on the ledge when there are kids
around....Use boiling tar instead...Far more effective

That caused me a chuckle!

Remember that with stable doors, you mustn't close them till the horse
has gone.

This is a problem, if you don't have a horse.

Consider an unstable door instead.

This goes well with the suggestions above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 9, 5:39*pm, bp wrote:
Hi

I want to fit a stable door internally in the dining room (accessed
from the kitchen), and I have a few questions.

1)Are there any regualtion for fitting these - I have never seen one
internally, but *am hoping *its OK to fit one internally.

it is

2) Can I just buy a solid wooden door (I have seen a pine one in the
local DIY stores fo £25) and chop it down the middle.

yes if you cut it along the middle of a structural / framing
crosspiece. So some doors yes, some no. Exterior doors have thicker
centre crosspieces, which would give a more symmetrical look post-cut.

This is what I am thinking: Chop the door down the middle and sand/

i assume you mean across rather than down?

finish edges.

plane

*Use 4 hinges (2 per half). and provide some kind of
bolt to join the doors together if I ever wanted that. *To ensure the
2 halfs line up, I was going to attach the whole door to the frame
using 4 hinges first, *Once the door is fixed correctly, then I would
chop it.

you need the door lying down. Usea sawboard with the circular saw -
dont even think about doing it with a jigsaw.

Only thing I am not sure is can you chop such a door. Will it still
stay together or will i be cutting along some main structural part of
the door.

yes and yes. Decent interior doors are a frame with thin infill
panels. The frame gives the strength, so you're cutting one figure of
8 frame into 2 rectangular frames. Hollow sapele doors are another
matter, I wouldnt bother trying to cut those in 2.

Many thanks for any help

Bhupesh

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

bp wrote in news:09f49742-cc41-439b-96e9-b00e1efce8f6
@h60g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

[...]

I have done exactly that. It worked perfectly.

Someone mentioned fitting a small shelf to the lower half - did that too
and it was very useful.

Walt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Clot wrote:
RW wrote:
"Clot" wrote in message
RW wrote:
"bp" wrote in message
[a snip]

Another snip

That caused me a chuckle!

Remember that with stable doors, you mustn't close them till the horse
has gone.

This is a problem, if you don't have a horse.

Consider an unstable door instead.

This goes well with the suggestions above.

The brain aint working. NEDDY - was that the acronym? National Economic
Development something back in the Gannex mac eara.